Multiple Crashes

Fisherman

I used to love going really really fast, then they started to catch me! I sold the Firebird and they haven't seen a penny since 1973 :)

I drive for the conditions, like Cliff said. I never get in anybody's way in good or bad weather.

Years ago going ice fishing, going up the 400, light snow dark . . .just before the Oakridge we could see lights coming up fast, we were under the limit. he passed us with no problem and kept his speed, as we came over the ridge lights were looking at us in the center lane! he was fine, we kept going!

I'm going to sound sexist here. The drivers I see constantly driving beyond the capabilities of the vehicle as well as conditions are 20 something girls in little 4 cylinder 2 door pretend sport cars. Without question. Next is 20 something boys in pretend sports cars. Might be a tie.

We haven't talked about the suitability of the vehicle for conditions. That is a factor that makes some like Bill feel they are capable of doing the speed limit in less than ideal conditions. I did the calculations before and it's simple, doing 120 in a 100 gets you there about 10 minutes early going 62 miles. 10 freaking minutes. Hurry up and stop. I guess your 10 minutes is worth someone else's injury, or yours. Do the math your saving a few minutes, come on man.

The issue with driving over the speed that the conditions dictate is not if you have an accident and hurt/kill yourself but what if you hurt/kill some other innocent person. That is the thing that I do not want to live with. I have before and I will risk my safety doing stupid things but I try my hardest to make sure I will be the one paying the consequences.

Art

The overly cautious going too slow.

The overly aggressive going too fast.

If we could keep these two groups off the road the world would be perfect.

That would be yourself, according to everyone.

I've got to agree with BillM on this. Paul and I do alot of driving for our fishing and vacations in all kinds of weather and the accident causers are the ones who are scared to drive. They slow everyone down, cause accidents because people get fed up and pass them, they constantly put their brakes on instead of just taking their foot off the accelerator. They tend to stay in the middle lane on highways instead of the right/slow lane which makes for more lane changes by everyone.

My extra favorite ones are the ones that drive too slow (under the speed limit) on the 2 lane highways and then when you go to pass them when you finally come to a passing section, they speed up :wallbash::wallbash:

This ^^......drives me nuts.

Everyone has thier own comfort level, but if you are too scared to drive with the flow of traffic, its time to get off the road. I consider myself a good driver, and I have no issues driving in bad conditions, but I don't hold anyone up, and I don't put myself or anyone else in danger.

These idiots on the highways driving in the left lane, or middle lane, and getting passed on the right need thier licenses taken away. Get outta the freakin way!!!

S.

Who's talking about driving in blizzard like conditions? Of course you slow down and proceed with caution. The ones I'm complaining about are the people who are terrified to be driving on anything but bare, dry pavement. Rain, snow, whatever it doesn't make a difference. Those people are a danger to everyone else on the highway and should stay home.

If you want to sit in the middle of the pack with the rest of the lemmings and crawl along, then so be it, why do I care? I'll drive according to the conditions that I feel comfortable in.

If you want to keep wasting your breath trying to convince me that I'm wrong, by all means keep at it, lol.

Seeing as the subject of this thread is driving in blizzard like conditions that resulted in a pileup, I assumed we were all talking about driving in the snow? You're the only one talking about driving on dry roads while everyone else is talking about winter driving? :dunno:

I'm far from being an overly cautious driver and get pissed off just as much as you do when people are obviously driving too slow. But, the point of my nagging is far too many drive too fast and close together in the snow which often results serious in accidents and the number of people being overly cautious is greatly outnumbered by those who drive too fast. I didn't buy a CAI, Magnaflow, Superchip, and removed all the extra weight from my Ram w /Hemi because I drive like an old man. :whistling::canadian:

There isn't much you can do in a whiteout.. Slow down, toss the 4 ways on and hope someone doesn't slam into the back of you.. If you can get off the highway, even better.

4 ways are for when you are stopped...not moving...nothing worse than coming up on a set of 4 ways and expecting them to be stopped and they are moving.

people driving with 4 ways on should be charged

Edited by Dara

4 ways are for when you are stopped...not moving...nothing worse than coming up on a set of 4 ways and expecting them to be stopped and they are moving.

people driving with 4 ways on should be charged

AGREED!!! I don't know how many times I've come up on a car driving with 4 ways on, and had no idea why they were on. If you need to put on 4 ways, get off the road!

S.

AGREED!!! I don't know how many times I've come up on a car driving with 4 ways on, and had no idea why they were on. If you need to put on 4 ways, get off the road!

S.

they are emergency flashers for when you are stopped on the side of the road...not warning flashers that you are scared to drive down the road

Edited by Dara

the flashing amber lights of 4 ways penetrate fog, whiteout conditions much better than 'white' light does... hence, traditional fog lights being yellow.

so i am a little torn on the 4 ways on when driving or not issue. i know there have been instances this winter in pure whiteout conditions that i've flipped them on while moving at 10 km / hr due to reduced (no) visibility.

the flashing amber lights of 4 ways penetrate fog, whiteout conditions much better than 'white' light does... hence, traditional fog lights being yellow.

so i am a little torn on the 4 ways on when driving or not issue. i know there have been instances this winter in pure whiteout conditions that i've flipped them on while moving at 10 km / hr due to reduced (no) visibility.

I only toss them on if the visibility is almost zero.. I can't stand when people turn them on and it's really not all that bad out. All it does is distract already distracted drivers.

Sometimes I'm coming up from behind and see a couple sets of 4 ways on.Having a 4 wheel drive I don't feel every little slip.When I see that I will often adjust my speed to see how slippery it maybe.I have no issues with that.I can tell usually if there stopped and/or overly cautious.No accident,I'm good with that.Sometimes it's a free warning that I may be going a little too fast.JMO.

S.

Well maybe the guy has a relatively minor problem in that it's safe to drive slowly a few kms to the nearest exit.

On my last trip out I passed an accident, it was dark, snowing, and blowing snow so I turned my 4 ways on to warn oncoming traffic that there was a problem ahead. When I see someone with their 4 way flashers on I pay extra attention, might just be that they are trying to warn me of something or it could be they just forgot to turn them off but either way I'd rather be safe than sorry.

On my last trip out I passed an accident, it was dark, snowing, and blowing snow so I turned my 4 ways on to warn oncoming traffic that there was a problem ahead. When I see someone with their 4 way flashers on I pay extra attention, might just be that they are trying to warn me of something or it could be they just forgot to turn them off but either way I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Agreed :good: .