Downriggers: Walker vs Scotty vs Cannon

fishnguy

They will all work well.

Walkers can't handle weights heavier than 12-13lbs

Scotty is good, but I personally don't like using the clutch mechanism for lowering the weight, nor do I like the way the plastic bead is used for auto-stop purposes.

Canon are my favorite because they use conductivity to stop to weight at water level, and have built-in positive ion technology (like the scotty black box) to attract large fish to your boat :clapping:

It's all about the positive ions!

Tony

Just my two cents

I have fished all the older names electric and manual as crew as a kid on charters or for pleasure along the way. Hell we used old thermal printer sonar or the old print disks. I m a bit old school and my belief for least headache and a bit of sweat once in awhile. Hands down manual Scotty's on a tilting swivel base, 5 foot tele boom , couple hundred feet of cable and the setup is bullet proof. Years and years of fish pounding enjoyment hassle free. If I do another boat down the road I would buy them again in a heartbeat no question. You can get them cheap sometimes on kijiji you don't need to get them new( bulletproof)

Cheers

Peter

Had manual walkers back in the day (when dinosaurs wee still young)... loved em ... but wouldnt trade in my Cannons (cant remember the model but theyre electric and work like a charm .. other than busting a pin when I got caught up (*redfaced* - dont ask) while backing outta my mooring ... I havent had any issues !

Here is a little more food for thought about choosing your downrigger provider. Scottys is a canadian company originally. The scott family. Still manufactured in B.C. Majority owner is a fella from England who purchased his share and moved to here (Canada) to be a hands on owner. Cannon is owned by Johnson outdoors. Johnson outdoors was started by Sam Johnson of Johnson/Johnson ie..waxes ...... With an endless supply of money and being an avid outdoorsman he started buying companies whose product he liked and thought was good quality. Johnson outdoors has bought and sold off a bunch of companies in the past and present. It is a publically traded company and reports to its share holders.

Not sure if this makes any difference for your decision process but thought I would share it.

DR's are a fairly simple apparatus in theory. Looks like cannon has a bit of a lead in the RD department. Scottys make a lot of plastic for various things/businesses.

Cheers MM