Fishing in Mexican Riviera?

Fishn Technishn

Never been, not going back. I can say don't fish alone. I just read the travel advisory list of countries warning Canadian travelers, Mexico isn't where I'd go for a wedding. Looks like there really isn't anywhere we can go anymore and feel safe. It's sad. Including resorts. Be safe, be smart and have fun. Hopefully someone's been and can give you a few fishing tips.

Hard and soft jerkbaits have caught me the majority of my saltwater fish. If you can get some uncooked shrimp then you will have a blast with jacks and other small reef fish. Don't forget clean your reels after each use. Cheers Jeff

I just returned from Cozumel a week ago. It was my second time there. Not sure about the mainland side, but on cozumel Island, on the west side, is a National Marine park/sanctuary. You have to be 1 mile west of the reefs, past the dropoff to fish. I would double check regulations for the mainland before taking your gear. The first time I was there, I didn't check before I left, and I had to pay for an extra bag $50 each way. On the brighter side, May is a great time for offshore fishing between the mainland and the island, as it is a major migratory route for sailfish, marlin, and Mahi mahi, and peak season is May. There is also a big money tournament there in the beginning of May, and some of the charter boats are entered. You will have fun anyway. Its a beautiful place with the best diving in the northern hemisphere. If you're a diver, make sure you go!!

Some of the fish caught:

IMG_1526_zps2ac50b5a.jpg

IMG_1542_zps256f83b1.jpg

Never been, not going back. I can say don't fish alone. I just read the travel advisory list of countries warning Canadian travelers, Mexico isn't where I'd go for a wedding. Looks like there really isn't anywhere we can go anymore and feel safe. It's sad. Including resorts. Be safe, be smart and have fun. Hopefully someone's been and can give you a few fishing tips.

Two trips to Cancun and one to Cabo in the last 8 months and we are still alive. Of course you would never find me downtown Toronto in the entertainment district on a weekend. #justsayin :wallbash:

I feel very safe in Playa Del Carmen, it's a very welcoming area. Don't just assume because you've heard stories and found it on a list that you're going to get mugged while there.

For fishing you have a couple options, go with a deep sea charter (closest option) or you can go north to Isla Blanca or south to Ascension bay for bonefish, snook, permit, snapper, cuda, and tarpon.

May is a perfect time to go as the winds offshore tend to be lower in the spring. You'll probably see a lot more deep water trolling opportunities but do not overlook the shallow flats fishing. If you want to tackle bonefish and have a really good shot at a permit or cuda, the top end of Cozumel is a hidden gem.

Search Cozumel in the reports and you'll see my 2 posts from 2012. The ferry goes from Playa Del Carmen to Cozumel starting at 6 am every hour and costs about $12 USD one way

The guys I went with are tops in Cozumel and can be found if you google bonefishcozumel (all one word). They can pick you up right at the docks and it's a bit 10 minute drive to their boat and a bout a 15 minute boat ride to the flats on the north end.

May is a perfect time to go as the winds offshore tend to be lower in the spring. You'll probably see a lot more deep water trolling opportunities but do not overlook the shallow flats fishing. If you want to tackle bonefish and have a really good shot at a permit or cuda, the top end of Cozumel is a hidden gem.

Search Cozumel in the reports and you'll see my 2 posts from 2012. The ferry goes from Playa Del Carmen to Cozumel starting at 6 am every hour and costs about $12 USD one way

The guys I went with are tops in Cozumel and can be found if you google bonefishcozumel (all one word). They can pick you up right at the docks and it's a bit 10 minute drive to their boat and a bout a 15 minute boat ride to the flats on the north end.

That's another option, however a guide is required, not that the other locations are too easy to fish yourself either.

Guys I've had the opportunity to travel the world in the last 40 years. We were never warned by our Governments where we should or shouldn't travel and I think it's sad. We always said act like a victim and you will be one. Cynicism is a earned attitude unfortunately. I've seen some, usually younger Canadian tourists play the role for some reason in the last 10 years or so and generally target themselves. They will throw around money in a club like water, remember some of the workers there won't earn in a month what we can spend in one night. Just be smart and all will be well. No, you don't venture around some neighborhoods here in Canada let alone out of country. I believe travelers today are more naïve then before. We always traveled in groups when we could. I've been to some pretty seedy places alone in this world and have only been robbed once, in London while at dinner, those B&B's aren't very secure, I forgot my fanny pack in the room, my fault I guess, so I was told by the constabulary in Surbiton. It's just my opinion, just like a holes everyone has one.

Never been and not going back, you youngsters never heard that? All it means is I would never go to that place.

Confused? Yes of course sometimes.

Like I said have fun in México.

Just got back from there on Sunday. You do not need a licence to fish from shore. Try it in the early morning and twilight. Port adventura is not far from there and your two best choices are captain ricks or wasabi fishing adventures. As stated in other post you will be there at a great time of year for fishing. I have always taken the smaller boats with three people and the cost is about three hundred USD. Local gringo is another outfit but I have never used them.