Live Target Lures......any good?

captpierre

I like the smelt for jerkbaiting, but I find the finish comes off too easy when the trebles rub. It catches fish though.

Frogs are excellent as mentioned.

I also have the bluegill crankbait, but have more confidence in the smelt.

They all cast well.

I hate how expensive lures are getting....especially when they actually do work well, because I always seem to lose the most expensive lures while shore fishing Lake O. Pisses me off...and its always like the second or third cast....

I hear you on that, I bought a live target craw a couple years ago and first cast on Simcoe the braid snapped and the craw was on it`s way to god knows where!!!

Live Target lures ..... what can be said.

You are buying an expensive lure without adequate split rings or hooks.

if you look at megabass, yozuri, lucky craft, etc, you will see they use top end split rings and hooks.

as dwc said, it sucks watching a mid size fish (10lbs brown, bow, etc) destroy a treble hook.

god forbid you use them for salmon.

AND the reps at the fishing show represent their smelt baits for sping king baits....when doing so, I ask if the hooks and split rings are satisfactory for spring kings --- all I get is a dumb look back at me.

If I'm going to spend that kind of $$$ on a lure, it will be a LC, Duo, etc etc.

No doubt though the LC pointers are worth the money, a buddy of mine swears by them, and I have nabbed some decent fish with them. I find no brand holds up to the torture of use in cold water condition pike/browns: Ive had too many LC , rapala x-rap and live target malfunction (take on water and crack) without me (knowingly) clipping it off something. If I dont know what I did to make it not work, thats brutal IMO ....either theres something wrong with me or the lures, Im having a tough time wondering sometimes.....

I must say though, I am pretty happy that I didnt have hook and split ring failures like other people have experienced, and Ive caught some decent browns and pike etc. I would lose it if it happened......

No doubt though the LC pointers are worth the money, a buddy of mine swears by them, and I have nabbed some decent fish with them. I find no brand holds up to the torture of use in cold water condition pike/browns: Ive had too many LC , rapala x-rap and live target malfunction (take on water and crack) without me (knowingly) clipping it off something. If I dont know what I did to make it not work, thats brutal IMO ....either theres something wrong with me or the lures, Im having a tough time wondering sometimes.....

I must say though, I am pretty happy that I didnt have hook and split ring failures like other people have experienced, and Ive caught some decent browns and pike etc. I would lose it if it happened......

I've gone through lots of LC pointers and never had one malfunction. Only malfunction I have is casting off $16 baits when fishing in negative temps because my gear is too iced up. I always have a back up of my fav colour because I'm pretty good at casting a few off every season!!! :wallbash:

Which models of Live Target did you have crack and take on water? I have beat up a few of mine pretty good, and the bodies and paint hold up very well.

if you are looking for a lure that holds up, right out of the package, in all seasons, for all species, look no further than YOZURI / DUEL (same company).

i have not had a live target lure "crack", but I had the eye fall off one, lol.

i've bent treble hooks and taco'd split rings on them however.

for the cost of the lure, you'd think they would put on real hardware. the livetarget rep/promotional staff on bfb ignored me when I asked about the hardware used on their new "baitball" series of lures.

oh, try and find out who makes the hooks on their frogs....

ever try to sharpen one of the frog hooks? very very high carbon ... makes it very difficult to sharpen....

that is because they are cheap hooks (higher carbon hooks break, not bend, and cannot be sharpened).

too bad because i'd love to support Grant Koppers....good ole Canadian.

I hear you on that, I bought a live target craw a couple years ago and first cast on Simcoe the braid snapped and the craw was on it`s way to god knows where!!!

I have a brand new 5 year old or so frog still in the box. It was a gift and I use rods I've paid less for at yard sales. Actually pretty good rods. I would lose it if I lost that lure. So there it sits, appreciating in value.

my wife loves the frogs, mainly because she can fire them right into the alders and then twitch them out without getting hung up (Haha)

I'm probably not the most technical fisherman, although I believe in patterning the fish each day, some of these new baits are designed to catch the consumer not the fish

I've gone through lots of LC pointers and never had one malfunction. Only malfunction I have is casting off $16 baits when fishing in negative temps because my gear is too iced up. I always have a back up of my fav colour because I'm pretty good at casting a few off every season!!! :wallbash:

LC pointer real skins. Took on water early, I mean 8hours early, happened at least three times

Xrap same deal, but more than 3

Target....perch model, can't confirm exactly, but 1 at least. After a while u get pissed.

Call me a liar, I know what a malfunction is. I usually buy everything in bulk...bad batch, maybe I don't know. I know what happened though. I've got a buddy who used the same LCp for over 5yr, no probs. but I have had problems. I still buy em all, but ishhh happens no doubt.

And sadly I know all too well about casting off my favs every season!

*******not to say no longer use these due to malfunction.....because i still actually RELY on them!!!****

Edited by buick14

Live Target... weren't they like last years Jackalls but both destined to one day go the way of the incredible Cotton Cordell Divers? Will in 5 years their costs not likely be cut nearly in half, and if they last 10 years they not likely be in $4.89 bargain bins at BPS & Sail?

Rarely spend $15 on any lure... maybe a Rapala of sorts about that price... A Yozi too pushing around $12. But not much else... only time the big bucks come out is when buying sweet sweet muskie lures. Can't believe some of these tiny pieces of conveyor belt plastic are selling for nearly as much as some hand-crafted big baits.

I agree with the comment of the hardware on the smaller smelts, however, I own multiple of almost every freshwater LT made. I think they are by far the best lure manufactured at that price point. I have done very well with every single lure I own from them. Would not trade them for anything.

Have purged all similar hard baits by other manufacturers several years ago.

Everyone has their favourites, and I have about a dozen. They are all Live Target.

I know this might sound crazy, but has anyone ever used a live mouse fishing. I don't know what the regs are when it comes to using live mammals for bait. They're not little cuddly pets they're vermin. There sure are enough of them around. I've heard the stories over the years about using kittens or Gerbils ( pet vermin) for Musky. I would like to think the kitten thing is an urban legend but there's someone out there sick enough I'm sure.

If you don't want to admit to it just say "I know this guy that,,,,,,,,,,".

For all the Gerbil owners, sorry I think they are fat rats in a cage, I can't tell the difference.

Canada girls just made it 2-1, USA.

I know this guy that.......

Ive heard some ppl "claim" to use kittens for musky bait.....attention seekers, kind of like "those" ppl sexually attracted to fire type deal.

Its easy to tell; all you have to do is talk to somebody who has the plague, elbow nudge him, then ask how the fishing's treating him. You'll get your answer real fast!