Rod recommendations for pitching jerkbaits.

Mike Pike

I love wading the Grand and Speed Rivers in the KW area for bass. Lots of great ways to taget the fish, but one of my favourite ways is casting jerkbaits when conditions permit( areas with less weed, etc. ).

I have a good arsenal of Rapalas jerkbaits and they are pretty light and don't cast very well when I use some of my other river rods, which are generally too stiff. So I was gonna shop for a rod specifically for this task.

HuskyJerks and some deep diving cranks cast nicely, but I'm usually not using these as they snag on bottom of the shallower stretches I fish. So, light, floating jerkbaits are my usual go-to and would like your advise on the type of rod I should be shopping for.

I used a 7 foot 2 piece st. Croix eye con last year for lighter plugs. Matched with a Stradic ci 1000 and 10lb nanofil with a fluoro leader, the outfit is extremely light and can cast light baits a mile. It is listed as a fast action bait rigging rod, but that's just a guideline. It does however make an excellent live bait rod! I have the 7'6" eyecon as well, a little stiffer, but also an excellent value. They run around $110 a piece give or take, depending where you buy.

I used a 7 foot 2 piece st. Croix eye con last year for lighter plugs. Matched with a Stradic ci 1000 and 10lb nanofil with a fluoro leader, the outfit is extremely light and can cast light baits a mile. It is listed as a fast action bait rigging rod, but that's just a guideline. It does however make an excellent live bait rod! I have the 7'6" eyecon as well, a little stiffer, but also an excellent value. They run around $110 a piece give or take, depending where you buy.

I just checked the St. Croix site and looked at those Eyecon's and there a 7'6" slip n rig that looks like I should check out. Again it talks about bait rigging as you said which would be good as that's my back up when wading rivers anyway.

Edited by Mike Pike

I grabbed a Megabass Orochi XX Jerkbait special to try out this year by it is a casting rod. Before this, I used a medium power fast action shimano compre with a Stradic CI4. It handled jerkbaits quite well and didn't cost much. It was also a great stick to throw tubes and weightless plastics on.

I just checked the St. Croix site and looked at those Eyecon's and there a 7'6" slip n rig that looks like I should check out. Again it talks about bait rigging as you said which would be good as that's my back up when wading rivers anyway.

I have both those rods, I like them both. I use the 7'6" for tossing husky jerks and x raps but the 7 is a touch softer and I use it for small jerks etc. great rods, very multi purpose!

I picked up a 6'6" one piece MH Fast crucial. The last series they made with cork, the butt on this rod is short. You could probably find one on ebay. Paired with a 2500 ci4 it's my lightest combo. The tip feels weightless, wicked when you get hit on a pause. And its got lots of backbone for solid hooksets. This is a great rod for bombing #10 xraps with 10 lb braid in rivers. No need for leaders. I like 6'6" for maneuverability. Casting under trees, setting hooks under trees etc. I've tried 7'and up and find that longer rods are more of a hassle for the minimal gain in casting distance. The new "all black" series is nice but feel tip heavy. Maybe with a heavier reel like a 3500 FJ it would balance better. If you can spend over $200 try to find any loomis in 783 or 784 with a short butt. I don't see many st croix rods in this action.

Oh ya, and here's a tip. Try flat raps just under the surface with short twitches and pauses in those shallow sections. #9 & 11 cast like bullets. Keep them outta the weeds and rocks though, the lip is glued on. Not meant for bumping cover. Good luck. Just thinking about river smallies on the jerk is uplifting.

Thanks kindly for the advice Guys. I've checked the websites of some of the rods mentioned, written down the models, and now need to go and get 'em in my hand. Very appricative of everyone who took time. I never mind spending money on good gear, as long as it's a well researched and well thought through purchase.

And thanks for the advice on the Flat Raps, Sauce. Haven't fished 'em yet but their nice shallow running depth sounds like something that will suit me well.

Personally, I struggle with having multiple rods for different types of lures.

I feel it is mostly marketing by manufacturers.

I think line is important. Huge difference in action at the end of the line between mono and braid.

Softer tip with braid, I say. Need a bit of shock absorber. Hooks getting ripped out of mouth with too hard a hookset.

With smallies that tend to jump, mono and or softer tip keeps hooks engaged into lip rather than braid that goes temporarily limp when fish's head bends toward road when fish in the air.

I was just browsing the classifieds here... there's a 6'6 crucial MH (cork handle) spinning rod that'll be good all round for jerkbaits. You want shorter than 7' IMO, 6'6 MH is nice, longer if you're wading will be tough.

Edited by JoshS

The manufacturer is soley driven by your budget and the feel of a rod in your hand, dont get caught up in price point or anyone promoting a brand.

If your looking for a bait casting set up then a good 7'0 Med or med/Hvy. both with a Mod/Fast Action the med or med heavy really depends on the size of Jerk bait your throwing. If its on a spining reel and you want a more agressive retrive then a 6-3 med fast shorter rod for a quicker snap on a spinning reel

If its large mouth then a rod more suited to crankbaits like a 7-0 7-2 glass rod with a med -fast action is more suited for a slower jerk and longer pause for large mouth

The other option is to fish jerkbaits that run shallow, but cast better. The LC flashminnow is a good example. Fish it with your rod tip up and you can keep it in the top 1' of water, and it casts much better than a floating rap.

Thanks for that heads-up Dog. I'll look for 'em as well as FlatRaps that Sauce told me about. Just thinking about wading for bass at this time of year kinda warms the heart! lol