Canada Hockey

BucktownAngler

Backstrom was reportedly pulled from gold medal game after testing positive for banned substance..What is he stupid? I hope this is not true

for a minor thing found in an allergy medication prescribed by his team doctors in the nhl

http://sports.ca.msn.com/winter-olympics/news/swedens-backstrom-fails-doping-test-in-sochi-1

also, in reading back over all the posts, i find it funny how some people doubted the team in the beginning but turned tail when the trams true colours started to appear. A team does not form over night, it takes time for the team to come together and trust one another. Team Cananda showed us just well a team grows. They got stronger and stronger as the tournament progressed. This team was unbeatable. Lativa had an incredibly hot goaltender who played his heart out and made his NHL franchise proud ( hes currently in the AHL)

The US was a great team as well, they just got out played. The had the most goals scored, think it was 20 goals on 100 shots going into the semi, Canada had 13 on 150 shots i think, half coming from the canons on the back end.

In the end, it doesn't matter who leads the scoring, all the matters is that everyone does their job, if the forwards aren't scoring but are clogging up the middle enabling the D'men to get off the big one timers, then they are doing their jobs. This Team Canada was the best team ever assembled and it showed big time. Mr Babcock did a great job, great coach, calm, cool, collected, his relaxed nature reflected across the entire team and they were able to stay loose and play great hockey.

GOLD CANADA GOLD!

interesting facts on Backstrom's "issue".

Zyrtec D contains 120mg of pseudoephedrine per pill. The recommended maximum dosage is 2 pills per 12 hours, so 240mg per max dosage.

The half-life of pseudoephedrine is 4-8 hours and elimination time from the body is 5-6 half-lives, so pseudoephedrine leaves your system in about 20-48 hours assuming you don’t have a pre-existing condition that effects your blood cycling.

The body is roughly 7.4% blood, such that a 70kg person likely has 5.2L of blood, so Nicklas Backstrom, at 95kg (though he’s got more muscle mass than an average person, so the estimate is likely on the high end), probably has at most 7L of blood (probably a bit less).

Half-life calculations are simple…
N_t = N_0 * (1/2) ^ (t / t_h)
where
N_t = amount remaining
N_0 = initial amount
t = time
t_h = halflife

So, using that formula and assuming worst-case elimination time and long-lasting pseudo, within a 48 hour span, if Backstrom had taken the recommended dosage, he would have in his blood at the HIGH-END of estimates… 240mg (immediate dosage before slovenia game and subsequent test + 85mg (12 hours prior) + 30mg (24 hours prior), + 11mg (36 hours), + 4mg (48 hours) = 370milligrams on the high-end estimate assuming PROPER dosage.

370mg/7000mL of blood = .05286 milligrams per mL which is 52.86 MICROGRAMS/mL. The olympic limit is 150 micrograms/mL.

Even assuming Backstrom had average blood for an average 70kg male, he should have at that point just 72 micrograms/mL of blood.

I’m not trying to say he cheated, but the numbers are pretty staggering. To get 190 micrograms per mL, he would have had to have been taking nearly quadruple the dosage if properly scheduled 12 hrs apart.

Even if he was maybe taking 2 of them every 4 hours…

240 + 170 + 120 + 85 + 60 + 43 + 30 + 21 + 15 + 11 + 8 + 5 + 4 = 704mg

AND if he had only 5.2L (average for 70kg not 95kg like backstrom) of blood, it’d still only be 135.4 micrograms/mL of blood.

for a minor thing found in an allergy medication prescribed by his team doctors in the nhl

http://sports.ca.msn.com/winter-olympics/news/swedens-backstrom-fails-doping-test-in-sochi-1

also, in reading back over all the posts, i find it funny how some people doubted the team in the beginning but turned tail when the trams true colours started to appear. A team does not form over night, it takes time for the team to come together and trust one another. Team Cananda showed us just well a team grows. They got stronger and stronger as the tournament progressed. This team was unbeatable. Lativa had an incredibly hot goaltender who played his heart out and made his NHL franchise proud ( hes currently in the AHL)

The US was a great team as well, they just got out played. The had the most goals scored, think it was 20 goals on 100 shots going into the semi, Canada had 13 on 150 shots i think, half coming from the canons on the back end.

In the end, it doesn't matter who leads the scoring, all the matters is that everyone does their job, if the forwards aren't scoring but are clogging up the middle enabling the D'men to get off the big one timers, then they are doing their jobs. This Team Canada was the best team ever assembled and it showed big time. Mr Babcock did a great job, great coach, calm, cool, collected, his relaxed nature reflected across the entire team and they were able to stay loose and play great hockey.

GOLD CANADA GOLD!

Each team has a team doctor, there is a complete list of banned substances from the IOC, its a no brainer Backstrom had double the allowed amount in his system, Like he didnt know what he was doing..It may or may not be a big deal but him and the Swedish team doctors should have known better. I do feel bad for him but rules is rules..

Also as far as doubting our team Canada, that's what this forum is for. Discussion, we all have opinions.. Some are right and some are wrong..Thats what makes this place so awesome..Lets face it, if we ALL were as hockey smart as we think we All are, we would be making big bucks in the sport..So unless your team Canada Brass or an AHL NHL coach its all just armchair sporting..

Anybody else hoarse today?

Hoarse and hung over..lol The game was amazing but what killed me was the house full of drunk buddies waiting for the rain delay to end in Daytona...We had a house full from 1pm till midnight..What a mess...I was ready for bed by 4pm...Dang Russians and the Olympic schedule..

A little late to the party but I have been on the road since 5:30AM Mountain time Saturday morning.

Gotta love satellite radio as I got to hear the Yanks lose on Saturday, the Canucks win on Sunday morning and Jr. win the Daytona 500 on Sunday night after a 6 hour rain delay!! :clapping: :good: :thumbsup_anim:

T'was a great weekend!!!!