Yup, that's an 8inch hole.

BillM

So I sent my buddy Dave this txt the night before...

I want a big black giant ugly one

Massive head, just ugly but huge

That would be hilarious

Go figure what happened the next day, lol!

I don't know why but I love lake trout. I've spent more time on Nipigon trolling for that elusive 30-40lbr then my oldman cares to remember. Don't ask me why, but there's just something about these fish that I love. I think this was fish #3 or #4 of the day. With the front moving in, we were hoping the system would cause them to go on a bit of a feeding frenzy, we were right.. But as soon as that storm showed up, the fishing died almost completely.

I was using a custom Loomis icerod made from a float blank (It's either GLX or IMX, Rick, you'll need to tell me!) that a buddy was nice enough to give me or else I might have been in trouble. Paired it up with a Saros 1000, 6lb Fireline Crystal and 6lb Drennan flouro for a lead. I saw this massive mark come off bottom towards my bait, the mark was so thick I thought for a split second that there was something wrong with my finder. Before I could barely start 'the chase' she smashed it... Screamed down to the bottom then went sideways, this big brute just didn't want to come up. Multiple times I had to stick the rod in the hole to avoid the line being shredded by the ice.. I really don't know how long I fought the fish, maybe 20mins or so? The first glimpse of it and we both almost crapped our pants, it looked like a shark below the hole with those massive fins sticking out to the side. We knew it was big, but didn't think it was this big, lol!! We both assumed she was a spawned out female, her fins looked like she's gone through many a spawning cycle.. We got her in, snapped a few pics and she was back in the water in no time. Definitely a PB through the ice for me, and most likely my biggest lake trout ever.

Edited by BillM

So I sent my buddy Dave this txt the night before...

Go figure what happened the next day, lol!

I don't know why but I love lake trout. I've spent more time on Nipigon trolling for that elusive 30-40lbr then my oldman cares to remember. Don't ask me why, but there's just something about these fish that I love. I think this was fish #3 or #4 of the day. With the front moving in, we were hoping the system would cause them to go on a bit of a feeding frenzy, we were right.. But as soon as that storm showed up, the fishing died almost completely.

I was using a custom Loomis icerod made from a float blank (It's either GLX or IMX, Rick, you'll need to tell me!) that a buddy was nice enough to give me or else I might have been in trouble. Paired it up with a Saros 1000, 6lb Fireline Crystal and 6lb Drennan flouro for a lead. I saw this massive mark come off bottom towards my bait, the mark was so thick I thought for a split second that there was something wrong with my finder. Before I could barely start 'the chase' she smashed it... Screamed down to the bottom then went sideways, this big brute just didn't want to come up. Multiple times I had to stick the rod in the hole to avoid the line being shredded by the ice.. I really don't know how long I fought the fish, maybe 20mins or so? The first glimpse of it and we both almost crapped our pants, it looked like a shark below the hole with those massive fins sticking out to the side. We knew it was big, but didn't think it was this big, lol!! We both assumed she was a spawned out female, her fins looked like she's gone through many a spawning cycle.. We got her in, snapped a few pics and she was back in the water in no time. Definitely a PB through the ice for me, and most likely my biggest lake trout ever.

thats an awesome story! I love hearing the "behind the scenes" details. That first pic says it all! The look an yer face is priceless!!! I'd print that and frame it if it were me