Lake Temagami

wee scot

Hi guys we are heading up to lake temagami to stay in one of john hardings bungalows mid february,was wondering if anyone had stayed there before and had any info they could share .Or in the roundabout vicinity even thanks in advance can,t wait to go wee scot

was up there in jan last year, I can second the previous poster, we did better along the deep breaklines at sunrise and sunset for the eyes and got a few lakers too. Ask john to drill you some holes (if you don't bring an auger) in these areas closer to the islands. Last year our bungalow was in 70+ fow. We had lots of luck at night deadsticking minnows on the bottom in the deep water for burbot (ling) and caught a few whities as well deep. Make sure to bring a large bore medical needle with you for the smaller ling you release because they need pressure relieved to get back down the hole. Hope that helps. Make sure John provides some helmets for you on the way out and back in because we all got nailed with fines from the OPP for riding in the sled without helmets it was a bummer and a shi^ty way to end a good trip. We had good luck with the eyes and lakers on bucksots tipped with minnows btw.

Edited by b_cdot

was up there in jan last year, I can second the previous poster, we did better along the deep breaklines at sunrise and sunset for the eyes and got a few lakers too. Ask john to drill you some holes (if you don't bring an auger) in these areas closer to the islands. Last year our bungalow was in 70+ fow. We had lots of luck at night deadsticking minnows on the bottom in the deep water for burbot (ling) and caught a few whities as well deep. Make sure to bring a large bore medical needle with you for the smaller ling you release because they need pressure relieved to get back down the hole. Hope that helps. Make sure John provides some helmets for you on the way out and back in because we all got nailed with fines from the OPP for riding in the sled without helmets it was a bummer and a shi^ty way to end a good trip. We had good luck with the eyes and lakers on bucksots tipped with minnows btw.

good information b cdot,

if the outfitter is including transportation to the hut, isn't he responsible for the fines?

Our outfitter was not aware of the law with the trailered sled. It was the first time he had heard of it. Trust me Chris it was an awkward moment. We knew he felt terrible and responsible for this bad luck but we ate up the fine. He learnt a lesson that day and I doubt he will make it again. Neither will we! Mind you he only drove about 5-10km/hr with us in the back. We never thought we were in any danger without helmets.

Edited by b_cdot

Sargent Murphy the signature on the ticket.... don't ask how I know. As for "not knowing" I wouldn't buy that for a minute, Hardings been out there for a long long time.

Take your own auger with you.. and a shoal map for the lake. Weather permitting you'll want to get out and move around at will. Don't be depending on the outfitter to drill you anymore holes around the shack than he already has, especially with the current snow load up there. I can only imagine the jack and bank nightmare he's already been dealing with so far this year.

Edited by irishfield

Actually looking back apparently we were allowed on the ice without helmets but once we hit land they were allowed to fine us. Our car was maybe 20 yds from the boat ramp, he drove us to our car, they sat there and waited for us to hit land so they could fine us legitimately. It was a bit of a jackass move by the OPP to be honest. We were on land for 10 secs without helmets (in a parking lot). The more I think of it the more it pisses me off lol.

Edited by aplumma
choose better mock words please

hey Irishfield, I do believe he was quite honest when he said it had never happened before. He might have known the law but didn't think it would ever be enforced in a parking lot bringing us to our car. BTW i dont remember the officers name but he had dark slicked back hair, there was another officer with him too.

Edited by b_cdot

As I said.. I'm sure he knew.. we just have a few "head strungs" up there these days it seems. We've never had any issue with the CO's or OPP in years past .... and have generally had twice weekly talks with the same guys that only want to see what the latest beast picture we have on our cameras... until something changed in the detachment. I already mentioned what that was... I got mine moving 200 feet at idle with an auger across my lap, after drilling a few new holes for a guest.

Edited by irishfield

Actually looking back apparently we were allowed on the ice without helmets but once we hit land they were allowed to fine us. Our car was maybe 20 yds from the boat ramp, he drove us to our car, they sat there and waited for us to hit land so they could fine us legitimately. It was a bit of a d%ck move by the OPP to be honest. We were on land for 10 secs without helmets (in a parking lot). The more I think of it the more it pisses me off lol.

stuff like that pisses me off too, go catch some real criminals,

then the town will wonder where all the tourists have gone