Shimano does it again!

mattybculp

I own a stradic, how often do you send them in for a cleaning,what's the process to set it up, and whats the turn around time, and approximate cost? I have never owned a reel worth doing this. Thanks. MM

All this is available on the Shimano website.

http://fish.shimano.com/publish/content/global_fish/en/us/index/customer_service0.html

I was quoted 20 dollars over the phone with there office in Washington for a 3000 Stradic approx 3 years old. Turn around time is based on how many reels they got on the go, but to be honest as long as its not a long long time I don't mind I'm not using them in the hard water months anyways. I'm sure you might get a variety of responses as to how often you have them cleaned. I'm a little OCD probably but I have my reels serviced every winter and my ice reels done in the summer. But I do fish a fair bit and my reels take a little bit if a beating exposed to the elements , rain etc. But if you don't fish much and your " gentle" with it maybe you don't have to as often.

I clean my reels once a year of when I fish saltwater. I upgraded to Boca Bearings in all of my reels and after changing the bearing I was comfortable cleaning them myself.

Art

I do my baitcasters... But spinning reels take a little more time plus once totally took apart a stradic and had a heck of a time getting it back together the same lol... just didn't feel the same after and could not figure out why... not worth the time for me!

For 20 bucks, you really can't go wrong sending them in. Wonder how long it takes them to do one reel.

Do they totally clean, degrease etc?

Yes I know what you mean I take my reels apart with camera in hand and kept one of each reel together so I can see where I messed up. I won't even tell you of the noise called TIngggggg as I frantically look for any sign of what and where the small piece landed .lol

Art

• 2 months later...

I finally stopped procrastinating and got my broken (my abuse) Stradic sent in for repairs, I got it back surprisingly quick,

labour costs, $25, 4 other replacement parts, no charge

another happy customer, all the reels I use are Shimano, and that's all I'll buy, I haven't been screwed yet

I use a lot of shimano rods and the lifetime warranty and customer service is the #1 reason I continue to use them. I have had a number of rods replaced or repaired. The only downside is that it can take a few months to get a rod replaced depending on the model.

when i was a kid my dad turned me on to shimano. ive been using them since for rods and reels. of course ive had other set ups and still have other makes i use like st.croix and abu garcia ect. but my favourite setups are my shimano's

Shimano is an excellent company to deal with. The few times I've had issues, they have adressed them quickly, and either free of charge, or very VERY reasonably. I do like diawa 1300/700 spinning reels, but outside of that, just about every reel I own is shimano, with the exception of a few line counters. I don't love their rod line, but thats a personal preference thing more than anything. I don't understand the whole reel cleaning thing though. I just throw a bit of sewing machine oil on once in a blue moon, and occasionally a dab of grease, otherwise I seldom clean a reel, and I have reels that are 20 plus years old that have seen a lot of action, and still function great!!

I have to tell you, after reading this thread I have decided to go through all my rods and reels (about 15 of them most of which are Shimano) send all the Shimano reels in for cleaning and service. At $20.00 a pop to have a perfectly tuned up reel is just plain a smart move as far as I can tell! Actually I think I might justr drive over there tomorrow with them.

I have to tell you, after reading this thread I have decided to go through all my rods and reels (about 15 of them most of which are Shimano) send all the Shimano reels in for cleaning and service. At $20.00 a pop to have a perfectly tuned up reel is just plain a smart move as far as I can tell! Actually I think I might justr drive over there tomorrow with them.

yeah I was thinkin' the same thing only I'm about 4 hours away! haha Let us know how it goes!

I love Shimano but there Warranty Sucks and they are Rude ...The president Of Shimano in Peterboro is Rude and also told me to never Buy Shimano again ....hmm i buy Talora Lifetime Rods and they say they are old stock and won't do a thing ...funny i just bought them 3 years ago from Gander Mountain ....

I love Shimano but there Warranty Sucks and they are Rude ...The president Of Shimano in Peterboro is Rude and also told me to never Buy Shimano again ....hmm i buy Talora Lifetime Rods and they say they are old stock and won't do a thing ...funny i just bought them 3 years ago from Gander Mountain ....

Say what? LOL....you can't attract bees with vinegar.....

Shimano has been nothing but spectacular for me. I live close enough that I just drive them to the shop, and most times they fix them on the spot. $20 and I'm out the door with a pretty much brand new reel.

S.

Never once after about 6 trips in there have I ever received anything but outstanding service! 4 rods replaced in 2 weeks or less each time, not costing a dime, and 2 reel repairs which totalled 5 dollars one time and the expense was covered by them on the 2nd reel repair. I have never had to speak with the president, but I'm sure not everyone has positive things to say about any company. But I have never been anything less than impressed, maybe its cause I live in town, but it also maybe that I'm cordial with them and people are willing to go above and beyond when your nice. I have learned being in business for myself that people will go above and beyond for you if your friendly (including myself).

I couldn't agree more. Shimano has always provided excellent service. I snapped the handle off of my Curado..my fault. Brought it in for repair, told them what happened. Their response was..."shouldn't have broke"...I told them I fell on it...I'm a big guy. "Doesn't matter, handle should not have snapped the way it did...No Charge!!"

Last year there were some delays in replacements that several people experienced, including myself. Based on a challenge the whole industry faced with having to to lower production since demand in the US for fishing gear plummeted. Guys that hunt typically fish...threat of gun regulations in the US had people forsaking fishing related purchases and buying guns...Shimano and everyone else had a challenge when demand increased. A minor blip in an impeccable record as far as I'm concerned. Handled the issue well...spoke to a senior guy who was awesome...honest about the situation..listened and apologized. As far as I'm concerned stuff will always happen...the real test is how the manufacture responds when it does.

I have all the confidence in the world that Shimano will treat me fairly if there is an issue.

Its the only brand that I purchase...added 2 new Chronarchs, a Metanium and a couple of Crucials to list this year.

Oh...and here is the standard disclaimer... I do not work for Shimano, never have, am not sponsored, never have been.

And you wonder why people keep going back to Shimano over and over again. There are a lot of fishing companies out there that should use Shimano as an example of great customer service. Same with St.Croix, one reason why you'll never find me switching from either.

• 3 weeks later...

Just thought I would fill you guys in and report back. After a few weeks of waiting for the rep to come in, the shop owner I took my Compre to in order to see if they would replace it because of the messed up reel seat, he sent it in to Shimano to see what they would do. To both my and his surprise, Shimano sent back a brand new compre jig and worm to replace my screwed up reel seat.

Needless to say, I am extremely impressed with Shimano!

Adam

• 4 weeks later...

Just wanted to chime in on my experience with the rest of you. My beloved cork handle Crucial met its last fish this past fall. Broke while bringing a bass in.

I made the trek to their Peterborough office May 16, filled out a form, and received a brand new replacement today. Quick and painless and they made sure to bubble wrap the butt end and tip in a rod tube. The only thing it cost me, was time to get there as they covered the cost in shipping it back to me.

Like many others, I am certainly impressed with their warranty.

They do a great job. I sent a few reels in last month in kinda rough shape and they came back feeling almost new. Cost me $25/reel. They didn't charge for the parts they replaced and service was quick. Reels are back to life!! One of the stradics I sent in is over 15 years old and they managed to fix and replace a few things and clean it up to almost perfect condition. Nice to have a company back you like that.