kayak fisherman..

skdds

I recently became intrigued with the idea of kayak fishing. I usually rent a 9.9 when I go fishing. I have yet to make a boat purchase but would like to do so soon. I was at the boat show looking around at some boating options and noted the kayaks. I have known about this option before but never really considered this option seriously. I looked at a few models-Hobie and Ocean Kayaks.. Given the portability and now the ease to hook up electronics and a trolling motor, I am becoming inclined to seriously consider this type of boat especially for solo trips.

For the Kayak crowd...any manufactures that stand out? what are some must haves? Any other feedback is welcome as well. I know there are +'s and -'v es.

Sportsman show and fishing show are on deck so will look around some more..

Thanks!

Skdds

The paddle shack sold me the greatest boat I have ever been in. I think it's called a frontier 12 foot. It fits 2 people.

i weight about 170 and took my buddy who is a personal trainer who weighs about 230 fishing, we both sit on the same side to dip our feet when we go fishing and it still remains stable.

Once I brought 2 buddies who weigh about 180-190 each and myself to frenchmans bay and the boat was still ok.

Captains chairs, a 30lb of torque trolling motor and a hummingbird fish finder and you'll be living in the lap of luxury.

​If you want the pinnacle of the fishing kayak world look at the Hobie Pro Angler models.

My buddy has a PA 14 and it is an awesome fishing platform. There is also a 12' version.

I'm actually planning on picking up a kayak next month and will go the conventional (read regular paddle type) but sit on top Wilderness Systems Tarpon 120 or 140 model.

The Jackson Cuda 12 and 14 models are also top rated fishing kayaks.

Which ever way you go longer is better. For handling bigger water as well as paddling speed.

Spend a bit of time over on yakfisher.net reading the old threads on yak selection....lots of great info there. There are lots of great fishing yaks on the market right now, and narrowing it down to "type" (sit-in, sit-on, hybrid) will help. A few questions that I think help that process:

1. What "size" water are you going to fish most of the time? Lake O for salmon? Small back lakes? Rivers?

2. How portable do you want your yak to be? Will you be car-topping/trailering right to the water, or do you want to be able to cart/carry/drag it into more remote water?

3. Are you a gear junky (6 rods, downriggers, full-size FF, gps) or more of a minimalist?

4. Do you want to be able to stand and fish?

Each type of yak has it's strengths and weaknesses. Figuring out what you want it to do most of the time will go a long way to ending up with the right one.

The paddle shack sold me the greatest boat I have ever been in. I think it's called a frontier 12 foot. It fits 2 people.

i weight about 170 and took my buddy who is a personal trainer who weighs about 230 fishing, we both sit on the same side to dip our feet when we go fishing and it still remains stable.

Once I brought 2 buddies who weigh about 180-190 each and myself to frenchmans bay and the boat was still ok.

Captains chairs, a 30lb of torque trolling motor and a hummingbird fish finder and you'll be living in the lap of luxury.

Nucanoe frontier 12, I have one too, it's an awesome boat. Sail carries them as well. They can take up to a 2.5hp gas outboard. I use mine for fishing and duck hunting. You can stand up in them without tipping as well. They have several YouTube videos, check them out! Edited by porkpie

Nucanoe frontier 12, I have one too, it's an awesome boat. Sail carries them as well. They can take up to a 2.5hp gas outboard. I use mine for fishing and duck hunting. You can stand up in them without tipping as well. They have several YouTube videos, check them out!

Heh. I was tempted to put a 2hp gas motor on mine. Oh and I can carry it by myself. It's pretty easy.

i my self have the tarpon 12, only thing that takes getting use to is getting blown around in the wind they can be a hand full. other then that you can rig them up with everything you need and nothing better then getting dragged around by a big fish.

The tarpon is a nice kayak very stable and comfortable, best thing to do is test some out in the spring if you can.

Excellent feedback , I mostly fish inland lakes-muskoka,kawarthas etc so don't need a big water boat and needs to be a car topper. I thought the hobie was cool because its hand free. That type of kayak interests me the most. Don't need a lot of gear other than some electronics. The newer models seem to be built for that. I'd rather go with a trolling motor over the gas though -if it's going to be a kayak I want it quiet. Working on my wish list now-!

I got me a Jackson Cuda 12 last spring, love it, best to try some out if you can (Dealer Demo Days). I got mine at the Paddleshack, they guys at the shop were great to deal with. I thought about the peddle powered boats, but in real shallow water I don't know how they would be.

If you are fishing mostly inland, small water, take a look at the Wilderness Systems Commanders. They are a hybrid, like the Nucanoe, so you can stand and fish. The captains chair on the Commander makes is super-easy to go from sitting and paddling to standing and fishing. They are also specifically designed to take a trolling motor.

I have an Ocean Kayak Big Game yak - I'm 6'2 and 230lb. and it's a stable fishing platform. I usually use it on the reservoirs around here but I've also used it on Erie on a calm day. It's a bit of a pain getting it on and off the van but that comes with the turf.

I did run into a guy that had a Hobie - they are a cool fishing platform for sure - the guy's seat in the yak looked more like a recliner and he peddled the yak with his feet instead of paddling. But it looked real heavy so I think it would have to be trailered.

i my self have the tarpon 12, only thing that takes getting use to is getting blown around in the wind they can be a hand full. other then that you can rig them up with everything you need and nothing better then getting dragged around by a big fish.

The tarpon is a nice kayak very stable and comfortable, best thing to do is test some out in the spring if you can.

Do you car top the Tarpon? If so, is it easy to manhandle on top of the car... or is there some getting used to?

Do you car top the Tarpon? If so, is it easy to manhandle on top of the car... or is there some getting used to?

It'll car top easily.

Under 70#'s.

My little 8' pontoon I use in Alaska is 75#'s and I throw it on the roof of my SUV no problem.

Even the heavier kayaks can be loaded single handedly if you get a good rack with rollers.

http://www.etrailer.com/tv-review-yakima-hullyroller-kayak-carrier-Y04035.aspx

I remove the 65# Husky from it before loading though. ;)

Sahtu_2.gif