Question clam pop ups

steelhunter

I have a none thermal Nanook. I just run one of those Mr.buddy single burner heaters. The wire frame ones. It will have the inside of the hut dripping with water after about 10-15 mins of running the heater on low. To me, the thermal ones just add extra weight and $$ . Not really needed.

Call Lloyd anything you want... it worked good. He could get his clam to 30 C on a -20C day ! I personally prefer it just warm enough to take the chill off and unzip my jacket.. not to strip naked so you don't sweet and then freeze to death when you get back on the sled to move.

Edited by irishfield

If I wanted to be that warm,I would have a perm hut. Ya,just toasty warm is good for me to Wayne.. Although Terry thinks it,s a dat bit warm in my hub.

Since I got my new elite under control,he seems to be asking if everything is ok. I say YUPP alls good. I think to justs asks,to get a bit of warmth. LOL

Edited by Misfish

I dont even use heat in my flip over clam. Most of the time I just flip it half way as a wind break and thats good enough.

S.

When you get old,tell us about it. YOUNG WHIPPER SNAPPERS.

LMAO.

Oh I was one that was like that.

TIME CATCHES EVERYONE.

:canadian:

XL4000T is thermal (T=thermal). The switchback does not appear to be thermal. A couple of +/- on thermal:

+ up to minus 7/8 with 3/4 people we rarely need the big buddy heater going. They do retain the body heat generated really well.

+ minimal/zero condensation when heater is going in extreme cold. Hauling & drying out a wet hut is a PITA.

+ considerably less fuel to keep the hut warm in extreme cold.

- they are considerably heavier to haul vs non thermal. That's my SIL's job.

- they not only retain body heat well but also flatulence.

I'm expecting an XL6000TC tomorrow via UPS. It is a warranty replacement for last years Thermal Command Post. If buying new, they have a good 1 yr warranty which includes shipping, duty & taxes. Scan/photo your receipt when you purchase just in case.

Good luck with your purchase. Clam is worth the && IMHO.

Slayer

Not me I run the heater in my work truck full blast . I usually don't wear jackets in to peoples houses because I leave them so it is from the truck to the house in a short sleeve shirt most of the time. When it is snowing the snow makes my arms smoke kind of freaky.

Art

A "moving" blanket and 4 spring clamps from the dollars store works wonders over the top. Gives you something to wrap up in .. in an emergency as well.

FRUGAL LOL

hey, I have a moving blanket for really really cold days. Works well

When you get old,tell us about it. YOUNG WHIPPER SNAPPERS.

LMAO.

Oh I was one that was like that.

TIME CATCHES EVERYONE.

:canadian:

Im older than you might think, but I work outdoors all day, and my days off are spent outdoors too, so I get climatized I guess. Its the newfie blood ;)

S.

Don't know why I never at least had a pop-up when living up north. Huts are the bomb yo! Heaters inside them are even awesomer. But I get a headache, then a little dizzy and usually pass out awhile... that part kinda sucks.

Outside ya just gotta keep on fishin' on to stay warm.

If at all possible I would go with something thermal. It does add weight but really holds the heat well. The condensation of the non thermal will become annoying in very cold weather.

I use X2s in weather down to -45 and am running a big buddy on low or medium.

The XL4000T is a good shack. With any of the larger hubs I would suggest a small battery operated fan to move the warm air back down.