Ice fishing for Speckles

Trav_Haws

Hey folks. My buddy got me into ice fishing last year and I've been out a few times this year for lakers and perch but last summer I got hooked on speckle fishing rivers. The idea of catching some through the ice has been driving me crazy. I've been lurking the Fish ON-line site to locate stocked lakes up near bancroft and went up last week to one I had to snowshoe in to. Got skunked though. Just wondering if anyone had some tips out there, or if anyone has had any success this year for specks? Been doing a lot of reading but I like hearing what people have to say. Not expecting locations.

Cheers

We were out that way this past weekend as well, only we wish we had snowshoes... Trudging through three foot drifts was a workout!

Also skunked on the speck lake. They can be finnicky any season. Sometimes they're on fire, other times you'd think there's nothing in the lake.

I've heard much the same as what's suggested -- keep it shallow. Also, it's been advised to stay off the ice or at the bare minimum keep the noise down. Might be a good time to start a fire on shore and enjoy a warm drink.

Haha thanks boys. I had worms last time, didn't put any in my mouth though lol. Do you guys think it's worth trying the same lake again ? It looked promising had lots of good speckle territory like your explaining. I feel they just weren't hitting that day

Specks seem to be all about timing.. one time you'll get nothing.. and then the next time in 6 guys with 5 fish limits in 20 minutes. We swear they swim the perimeter of the lake looking for food, you just have to be ahead of the "rotation". We fish 6 feet of water MAX... tight to shore... seems to work.

Thats speck fishing:) Keep plugging away. I like a small buck shot rattle spoon for jigging. Jiggle it a bit in the dirt on bottom a bit then rip it aggressively at times hitting the ice with the lure. works good for shallow lakers as well.

As mentioned make sure you check regs as most speck lakes do not allow live fish as bait.

You can also try drowning a dry fly with a small chunk of worm on a light gad. tie a piece of flagging tap etc. on the gad so the wind gives it some movement

I actually catch most of my splake in deep water but yes they are normally very much the same as a speck.

It bare's mentioning that if you want to go try a new lake for specks you should prob first hit it in open water season to look for areas to try. Its a lot easier to than going at it blind in the winter...

You still wont catch them all the time though:)

Edited by LesCulpJr