(for bass guys) If you could only take 6 rods

Toddyc20

Okay, the topic says it all. For you bass guys out there. If you were only able to have 6 rod setups on the boat what would you use?

I'm currently in the process of putting together my 6th bass setup. When it is done this will be my 6.

1) bait caster, 7'mh, (crank baits)

2) bait caster, 7'6 h, (flipping stick)

3) spinning, 7'm, (worm)

4) spinning, 7'mh, (jerk bait)

5) spinning, 7m (drop shot)

6) bait cater,?? (Spinnerbaits)

1) 7'5" BC Swimming craws.....NRX 893C JWR

2) 7'5" BC Flipping Tubes.......NRX 893C JWR

3) 7'3" BC Flipping Jigs...........NRX 873C CRR

4) 7'2" BC Frogs.....................FGR863

5) 7'5" BC Spinnerbait............BCFR894

6) 7' Spinning Senko..............IMX SJR 844

that's my typical bass fishing setup...which 90% of the time i'm targeting largies.

if i'm going after all smallies i'll break out the sissy stix ... likely no bc's.

smallies:

6'8" Tube.............................NRX 802S
6'8" Senko...........................NRX 803S
7'6" 3" twistertail..................IMX HSR 9000S
6'3" jerkbait.........................SMR751S-SP
7'6" 4" twistertail..................AVS76MLXF2
6'6" 1/2ounce spinnerbait....LES66MHF

Edited by Steve

This would be my setup for multi species lake both largies and smallies.

Typical of my arsenal for any tournament.

1) spinning 7'6" med fast tubes

2) spinning 7' med ex fast drop shot

3) casting 7' med/Hvy fast spinnerbaits

4) spinning 7' med ex fast for worms shakey head and weightless

5) casting 7'6" med Hvy parabolic crankbaits

6) casting 7'3" Hvy fast flipping/frogs

More rig set up as rod length and power does change for me depending on the actual lake

My flipping system is totally different for say Scugog versus up north

This is for ugly/weedy water

Flipping rod with jig/craw combo

Heavy worm rod for punching mats

Pitching combo with worm/plastic baits

Frog rod

2 multiple purpose MH/M that I can cast anything with ( spinnerbaits, buzz bait, cranks, jerks)

Never go out without a MH spinning set up I use for slugo/big seniors

So I need 7 not six. Most tourneys I had 9 systems but that would include at least 1 back up flipping that only gets used if something breaks and most times that would be the frog rod.

If its smallies and clear water better plan for 6 completely different set ups. Biggest tourney weights over the last 5 years are almost 100% smallmouth. Light line and finesse style - tubes, swim baits, jigging spoons, jerk baits/spinnerbaits, top water

cph, where do you hide your rods then?

i have a fishing room in the basement where the wife can walk into anytime and count 40 rods ....

i guess hiding purchases is some folks game .... but not everyones.

Only pokin fun :D Can't imagine a more spouse friendly pastime. As a matter of fact I usually get gift cards/certificates from the boss to feed my addiction :clapping:

I know that my casting accuracy drops off as my rod length passes six feet. I also believe that an accurate short cast catches more fish than any 100 foot Hail-Mary. Therefore my rods will be shorter than most.

Here is my Pick-Six...
#1 A 6-6 to 6-10 medium-light spinning rod for weightless Senko's and other soft plastics.. I have been in love with a 782, but am now trying a 802.5...With this rod I can catch bass everyday of the season in the Kawarthas.
#2 A 6-6 or 7 ft Med-Heavy casting rod for Swim-baits, Jerk-baits, wire baits, tubes, Tex-Worms, Carolina rigs etc.
#3 Another mighty-mighty 802.5...This 6'10" blank is rated between a M-L and a Medium, in my mind it's sort of a pear shaped rod with a soft tip and a beefy butt. Reminds me of my first girlfriend...For the way I fish, it just might be the best all-around bass rod ever invented! I will use this one as a Drop-shot spinning rod.
#4 A 6 ft. Medium casting rod for casting around and under overhanging trees, blow-downs and docks etc. This is my finesse casting rod, with enough power to pull fish out of cover, but still soft enough to throw weightless Senkos and other 3/8 ounce baits.
#5 Another 802.5 spinning rod for Flukes, Shaky-head or any other jig related technique, so I don't have to retie the drop-shot rod. This rod is also great for skipping, although it's not quite as accurate as a shorter rod would be....
#6 A 6-6 to 7 ft M-H crank-bait rod with #20 Mono on the reel for Top-water baits or deeper running crank-baits, later in the season.
Garry2R's.
Edited by garry2rs

I know that my casting accuracy drops off as my rod length passes six feet. I also believe that an accurate short cast catches more fish than any 100 foot Hail-Mary. Therefore my rods will be shorter than most.

Here is my Pick-Six...

#1 A 6-6 to 6-10 medium-light spinning rod for weightless Senko's and other soft plastics.. I have been in love with a 782, but am now trying a 802.5...With this rod I can catch bass everyday of the season in the Kawarthas.

#2 A 6-6 or 7 ft Med-Heavy casting rod for Swim-baits, Jerk-baits, wire baits, tubes, Tex-Worms, Carolina rigs etc.

#3 Another mighty-mighty 802.5...This 6'10" blank is rated between a M-L and a Medium, in my mind it's sort of a pear shaped rod with a soft tip and a beefy butt. Reminds me of my first girlfriend...For the way I fish, it just might be the best all-around bass rod ever invented! I will use this one as a Drop-shot spinning rod.

#4 A 6 ft. Medium casting rod for casting around and under overhanging trees, blow-downs and docks etc. This is my finesse casting rod, with enough power to pull fish out of cover, but still soft enough to throw weightless Senkos and other 3/8 ounce baits.

#5 Another 802.5 spinning rod for Flukes, Shaky-head or any other jig related technique, so I don't have to retie the drop-shot rod. This rod is also great for skipping, although it's not quite as accurate as a shorter rod would be....

#6 A 6-6 to 7 ft M-H crank-bait rod with #20 Mono on the reel for Top-water baits or deeper running crank-baits, later in the season.

Garry2R's.

very good points! I might upset other bass guys but i rarely fish a stick over 6 8"

My wife not only knows about all of my rods but encourages me to get fishing stuff. There are a lot worse things in the world a guy could be spending time/money on.

Yup!! Fishing is viewed as a healthy outdoor activity in my house, not to mention the source of my inner peace! My 'wife' would rather I be happy with the money I earn than work towards some imaginary goal.

6 rods is a good amount to deal with on any particular day bassin. I own around 10 or 11 but 4 or 5 is usually what I bring after figuring out the patterns on the fishing trips.

Casting

1)7'5 Ex-Heavy Ex-Fast NRX/Core 100Mg7 (60lb Braid) Frogging (Faster Tip helps launch frogs a mile casting accuracy is always super)

2)7'5 Heavy Fast GLX/Core 100MgFV (60lb Braid) Punching/Flipping plastics through the cover 3/4oz-1.5oz

3)7'3 Med-Heavy Fast NRX/Core 50Mg7 (22lb Fluoro) Pitching texas rigged plastics 3/8oz-3/4oz

4)7'6 Med-Heavy Mod-Fast CBR906 Loomis/Calcutta TE100DC (12lb Fluoro) All around cranking (If there not smacking frogs or are not on the pitch/flip bite cranking under the hot sun or cold front days works for me)

Spinning

5)7'1 Medium X-Fast NRX/CI4+2500FA (12lb Braid) Soft Tube Jigs/5" Wacky Sick Stick (covers some finesse techniques)

6)6'8 Medium X-Fast NRX/CI4+1000FA (10lb Braid) (Topwater Popper/Shaky Head/Drop Shot/Soft Jerkbait)

Being a heavy cover angler I need those top 3 with the aid of cranking and spinning gear. I quite often walk to that boat with 2 or 3 rods some days when you know the flip/frog bite is all you need but it never hurts to have other options at the ready. I remember many afternoons looking at a 14' Diving crank and picking it up turning my back to a slop mat and working deeper structure. When the tools are at the ready it will help you become a much more efficient angler.

Good thread guys!

Edited by MikeTheBassFisher

1) 7'5" BC Swimming craws.....NRX 893C JWR

2) 7'5" BC Flipping Tubes.......NRX 893C JWR

3) 7'3" BC Flipping Jigs...........NRX 873C CRR

4) 7'2" BC Frogs.....................FGR863

5) 7'5" BC Spinnerbait............BCFR894

6) 7' Spinning Senko..............IMX SJR 844

that's my typical bass fishing setup...which 90% of the time i'm targeting largies.

if i'm going after all smallies i'll break out the sissy stix ... likely no bc's.

smallies:

6'8" Tube.............................NRX 802S

6'8" Senko...........................NRX 803S

7'6" 3" twistertail..................IMX HSR 9000S

6'3" jerkbait.........................SMR751S-SP

7'6" 4" twistertail..................AVS76MLXF2

6'6" 1/2ounce spinnerbait....LES66MHF

Really you have two different rods for 3 and 4" twister tails???

I do.

the rods serve a much different purpose.

the 3" twister tail rod is used in around weeds, and has slightly more of a backbone.

the 4" twister tail rod is softer, lighter tip, and is used in open water....that's why I upside the twister.

It should be noted that I fish smallies a couple times a year, the rest is largies.

those rods do double duty for light rigger rods (both 7'6" 'lighter' rods).