Can you say "ROAD TRIP"!

Big Cliff

Well, it is official, starting Saturday morning Sue and I are heading out on a road trip South bound. Myrtle Beach, Clearwater, New Orleans, Texas, and wherever the heck we feel like going from there. Not sure when we'll get back, probably somewhere between the first and the 15th of Feb. but you can be sure I'll be fishing soft water every chance I get.

I'll try to post some pictures along the way and I'll be thinking of you all, retirement is good! ;)

If any of you have a trip planned to any of those points in the next couple of weeks, let me know, perhaps we can hook up for a day of fishing!

New Orleans, if you've never been, may take a bit of getting used-to. Not an entirely clean city and has this ever-present smell in the air from being in a delta, but there's some GREAT food and things to see. Not sure of your appetite preferences, but I highly recommend these two places:

Gautreau's: Expensive, fine-dining, but probably one of the best meals I've every had in over 25-years of business travels. www.gautreausrestaurant.com

Napolean House: Casual joint in the thick of the French Quarter; neat atmosphere in a building dating back to the late-1700s. Get the mufaletta and a cold beer. Good stuff. www.napoleanhouse.com

On the other side, unless you want to go there just to say you went there, I'd skip Café Du Monde. One of the dirtiest places I've ever been, horrible coffee, and the donuts / beignets are even worse.

Safe travels...

New Orleans, if you've never been, may take a bit of getting used-to. Not an entirely clean city and has this ever-present smell in the air from being in a delta, but there's some GREAT food and things to see. Not sure of your appetite preferences, but I highly recommend these two places:

Gautreau's: Expensive, fine-dining, but probably one of the best meals I've every had in over 25-years of business travels. www.gautreausrestaurant.com

Napolean House: Casual joint in the thick of the French Quarter; neat atmosphere in a building dating back to the late-1700s. Get the mufaletta and a cold beer. Good stuff. www.napoleanhouse.com

On the other side, unless you want to go there just to say you went there, I'd skip Café Du Monde. One of the dirtiest places I've ever been, horrible coffee, and the donuts / beignets are even worse.

Safe travels...

Thanks!!!!! Super information! I love almost any kind of foods (that's why I'm called Big Cliff LOL.) The napoleanhouse link just takes me to a advertisement to buy the domaine name though.

Edited by Big Cliff

Cliff, Honeymoon Island State park! Fish the channel near the dog beach :)

Hey Cliff...Make sure (like the signs say on the way in) shuffle your feet while wading...I didn't and got stung by a stingray...OUCH !!!

Have fun my friend...

Edited by Beans

Have a great trip Cliff.

Some of our best vacations have been road trips with no destination or timeline.

Those are the best road trips. Point the steel and follow the road. Want a nice drive stay off the beaten path from S.C. to Florida then get back on the interstate in Jacksonville. Highway 1 along the Atlantic is always nice too all the way to Beaufort. See some old plantations with all that beautiful gypsy moss hanging from the trees. Just stay safe, your not in Canada anymore. Enjoy. If you get as far south as Port Charlotte I may be at the house there in a few weeks to do some painting, bring a roller. Just kidding. Just PM me if you head that way. We can head out for some Snook.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Cliff don't forget to call the credit card company and inform them you are traveling in the USA from date to date so they will not flag your card when you try to purchase stuff in the USA. I started doing it when I travel to Canada and have had no issues with cards being denied since doing it. If you path comes thru Virginia P.M. me for directions and phone # for a nice place to overnight if you and Sue want too.

Art

Cliff don't forget to call the credit card company and inform them you are traveling in the USA from date to date so they will not flag your card when you try to purchase stuff in the USA. I started doing it when I travel to Canada and have had no issues with cards being denied since doing it. If you path comes thru Virginia P.M. me for directions and phone # for a nice place to overnight if you and Sue want too.

Art

Great advice on the CC. I do it all the time when spending time outside of ON.

Not to mention the awesome invite for some OFC hospitality. Definitely worth the detour Cliff.