Snake Island Ice Fishing

Alex416

Me and a few friends went out for the first time yesterday to go for some perch off Snake Island. There was a lot of slush and water, my right foot got wet first thing in the morning. We checked the depth, chainsawed a sexy block, threw up the tent n dropped a line.

First 5 mins there was not a single fish in sight. Then it started.... We couldnt stop pulling perch out. Most of them got thrown back in(keep in mind well over 100 made it out the water.) For about 5-6 hours it was constant action. Seen quite a few down there with some serious shoulders. Couldnt get all the big guys to bite since they were sketchy and the smaller ones were contantly going for the offerings, but we did pull nice ones out(size of and bigger then a "fish juice" bottle.)

The herring showed up. All they did was harass our ammo.. Me and another guy caught 1 each accidentally(Keep your waders on, we tossed em back in.) Almost wish we could catch em, they have attitude.

Either way, left with about 15 8''+ perch. Was a good time

Edited by Alex416

Me and another guy caught 1 each accidentally(Keep your waders on, we tossed em back in.) Almost wish we could catch em, they have attitude.

They go spastic when you get them out of the hole. I wouldnt worry about keeping yer waders on. There are so many out there,we been catching more of them the any other specie. Not much you can do.

You mentioned you chain sawed a hole. Hope you marked it well.

Sounds like you guys had a fun day.

Wet feet suck.

Thanks for the report. What water depth where you in?

Up size your bait to avoid some of smaller ones.

The finder said 26 ft. I got into the batter additive a little early on so upsizing didnt click in until the last 2 hours, thats when we got the bigger ones on a bigger lure.

Fish above the schoolfor the larger ones...I find it helps allot.

We tried that too. Had a spreader with minnows 5-7ft from the surface. Brought a lot of them up but the only biters were the little ones and herring stealing the bait.

Im trying to upload pics but wont allow imgur. Any suggestions on how to upload?

Most definitely. By landmarks, GPS, and a piece of wood :ninja:

I think Misfish meant so other people are aware of the hole. I have heard to many stories of people going threw these holes. So glad ot hear it was marked with a piece of wood

Edited by DynamicBear

I think Misfish meant so other people are aware of the hole. I have heard to many stories of people going threw these holes. So glad ot hear it was marked with a piece of wood

We threw the block back in . Dont want to be responsible for a snowmobile accident or someone falling in. Just because I'm pretty new to the community doesnt mean I'm new to life lol