Went for First , ended up Home Run

Twocoda

the are everywhere Bill...i found its a matter of learning what your looking for ...(white basketball or mini snowman profile or a white 5 gallon bucket with black scuffs on it ) they are that big...best time is all day long...as soon as you spot your first one youll see them instantly while driving (i do now) cruise the back roads with open fields preferable with treelines off in the distance...they are eating voles so look around haybales in fields etc ...its easy to spot when they are in high vantage points but when it gets closer to the ground your basically looking for "big white bumps" on a white background...

when im driving i try to think the veiw i have is a picture...im looking for a blown out pixel on that image (tops of poles,trees roofs etc...Barrie area has alot ...a buddy of mine is running Snowy Owl photo tours to tourists with cameras in the Barrie area...lol...he is doing very well...Ive found as soon as you see one in real life your eye is trained to spot them quickly...Im going to head out again today to try my luck..

They eat 7 times a day so are fairly active in moving around...as soon as you do find one ...he will return to that spot time and time again ( its his turf now) for months which gives you lots of opportunities for different lights and action shots. As a hunter you know the best way to catch something is to know your prey so i read alot of stuff to try and put the odds in my favour..but this is the year for snowys for sure.....thousands upon thousands of them are around this year...one was even sited as far south as bermuda ....polar vortex anomaly i guess

Edited by Twocoda

Bill,

Drive south on the 400 about 8 in the morning. Check every hydro pole, light standard, barn roof and the vegetable crates in the Holland Marsh area. There have been several spotted in that area.

Snowy owls are fairly easy to spot. You want a challenge, try to find one of these..... Smaller than a Robin and they like the thick cedars... ironically, average about 4-5 ft off the ground. I have seen them in the tops of the Cedars also, just not as often.

P1130477a.jpg

seems to be alot of those saw whet around this year....awesome little dude...ive seen several pop up on different bird sites

It was great today Bill...3 hours 9 Owls and alot of shots!

Edited by Twocoda

Dirty white buckets, lol!!!! Awesome shot Dave. Went out this morning, ended up pulling some guy out of a ditch instead of finding birds, lol. Way too foggy around here anyhow. I'll make my way back down to the Holland Marsh once the weather clears up.