Dear Canadian Tire

Pikeslayer

Sometimes a liberal return policy is not a good thing. I can't tell you how many times people have been burned by returned products that have been "modified" by people who take out good parts and then return it to the store. The victim ends up being not the store but the fellow customers. The store does not notice or worse is not familiar with the product and it goes back on the shelf for the next person to deal with. Where it really gets bad is when you have hired a contractor to install the broken product and it can't be done as it is. You then get to pay me to come back or worse wait since you don't want to take off another day of work. It is not a harmless crime to return items under false pretenses regardless what the legal law of these actions are.

Art

Sometimes a liberal return policy is not a good thing. I can't tell you how many times people have been burned by returned products that have been "modified" by people who take out good parts and then return it to the store. The victim ends up being not the store but the fellow customers. The store does not notice or worse is not familiar with the product and it goes back on the shelf for the next person to deal with. Where it really gets bad is when you have hired a contractor to install the broken product and it can't be done as it is. You then get to pay me to come back or worse wait since you don't want to take off another day of work. It is not a harmless crime to return items under false pretenses regardless what the legal law of these actions are.

Art

^ this. basically there will always be people who don't give **** about others and hide behind the 'big corporate can eat the loss' mentality

Edited by woodenboater

Ironically, strict return policies are a direct result of fraudulent return scams....

Bang on. My wife is in retail and the return stories she has are ridiculous. Receipts for products that they don't carry( some people never heard of computers), or the receipt is from another retailer and the nutbar customer, usually a woman, want's her money back. Some people shopoholics don't get home and want their money returned for something they bought a few hours earlier. A few have been asked not to shop there anymore. Thus strict return policies are enacted. 2 side the that coin folks.

And I'll restate this Mastercraft is no longer Canadian Tire. It is a supplier, exclusive yes, but simply that. Just ask them.

Art

. Yes art I have been victim of that 2 weed eaters and when I got home opened the box it had already been opened and critical part taken out if box !!!!! Grrrrrr took it back and while I was at cashier we opened the box and the same thing another one had the same part taken out !!!! So yes been there done that !!!! But it was a que not to buy that particular item as it was flawed if people were returning them because of that part so now when I buy things like that if I can I will open them in store and make sure box had not been tampered with !!!!! As more and more stuff now says " do not return to store" and to call a phone number for any parts or issues !!!!!! See that a lot now so I'm pretty sure that's one more reason they do it to prevent fraud like the OP is doing !!!!! And we know the costs of all this are always passed back to the consumer as usual so we all end up paying for it in the long run anyways !!!!! Grrrrrrrrr.....:(

And I'll restate this Mastercraft is no longer Canadian Tire. It is a supplier, exclusive yes, but simply that. Just ask them.

Canadian Tire has never manufactured anything and has never owned a manufacturer who supplies on their behalf. The corporation is a wholesaler who sells exclusively to franchised stores. That means all products are purchased from parties not affiliated with Canadian Tire in any legal way. Like most other large retailers, they hold ownership of private brands and has third party vendors manufacture to certain quality standards. Take a look at any of their annual reports...in it you will find sales and revenue from retail operations, petroleum sites, financial services as well as other retailers they have purchased (Mark's Work Wearhouse, Forzani Group etc)...but that's it. Whoever gave you the information that Canadian Tire manufactures anything was incorrect....either past or present.

"the nutbar customer, usually a woman" I don't think this was really necessary OI. Nut ball customers come in all forms. I own a retail parts business, and what I usually see is the poor wives of the nutball customers trying to return parts for their embarrassed husbands.

Ironically, strict return policies are a direct result of fraudulent return scams....

Bang on. My wife is in retail and the return stories she has are ridiculous. Receipts for products that they don't carry( some people never heard of computers), or the receipt is from another retailer and the nutbar customer, usually a woman, want's her money back. Some people shopoholics don't get home and want their money returned for something they bought a few hours earlier. A few have been asked not to shop there anymore. Thus strict return policies are enacted. 2 side the that coin folks.

Like I said before, I did work there for several years when I was younger, I know all about that stuff

these policies are not solely the "direct result" of receipt scams, big box retailers don't need to support their customers anymore, and stringent policies help eliminate non revenue generating transactions....the bigger issue is it costs the company money to process their claims, that is why retailers more and more tell you deal with the manufacturer yourself....receipt scams are not a material issue

my biggest piss off is all the battery issues, they record your personal info and battery s/n's, but they still demand you hold your receipt for the 5 yr exchange life??? it's called customer resource management, lots of software out there, my local small shop can give me a list of everything little thing I purchased at their store since I registered, but crappy tire can't, then why are you asking for my info? and when you do keep your receipt for 3 yrs, they still refuse to honour the warranty...

Funny thing is as you see more companies change the paper the receipt is printed on, Most times after a year its deteriated to unreadable..

Sometimes its just stupidness in the policy.

Match sale price deference within 15 days but no hassel returns in 30 days?

I went in at 17 days and asked for the price differance.. No sorry your after the 15 days.. NP I would like to return these products and purchase them at the new cost :wallbash:

Sure NP sir.

Funny thing is as you see more companies change the paper the receipt is printed on, Most times after a year its deteriated to unreadable..

Sometimes its just stupidness in the policy.

Match sale price deference within 15 days but no hassel returns in 30 days?

I went in at 17 days and asked for the price differance.. No sorry your after the 15 days.. NP I would like to return these products and purchase them at the new cost :wallbash:

Sure NP sir.

exactly right, no ink, heat generated...don't store receipts in your glove box unless you want a greyish black smudge...

different issue, not my battery piss off, the original manager told me a scanned copy of the receipt was ok, should've got that in writing....try to exchange item still on valid warranty, here's my scanned copy, new manager "sorry, won't accept that"

I've about 6 or 7 major beefs with crappy tire in the past couple years, now they are my last resort for anything...and pay with everything on my credit card so I have a record they will accept, pretty pathetic service from one of Canada's largest retailers

don't count on them accepting the credit card as proof of purchase.Oh, that $250 purchase could have been anything, not necessarily that bicycle that we have the exact matching one out in the sports section at the exact same price...... . so only stuff I buy there now, it doesn't matter if they don't honour their policies. Just gives me one more story when I'm out tolling with a few friends. Same goes for almost any big box vendor these days, with a few notable exceptions. I'll pay the 10 -15 % premium for service, integrity and a person behind the counter who knows me when I come and takes the time to look after me. Interesting how in the long run it seems to cost less.

"the nutbar customer, usually a woman" I don't think this was really necessary OI. Nut ball customers come in all forms. I own a retail parts business, and what I usually see is the poor wives of the nutball customers trying to return parts for their embarrassed husbands.

Yes mercman nutbars come in all genders. I did say usually not always. It was my wife, also a woman, that said that. I knew I would get it for that but I'm only quoting her and she'd kill me if she knew I said that. Sorry if I offended anyone which is very easy to do in these days of political correctness of which I personally am getting very tired of. And too tell you the truth it was necessary because it was a quote not an opinion.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Owning a retail parts business you must know that demographics are key.

"Usually a woman" is something head office likes to know, and plays to in say, a retail grocery setting.

It quite frankly IS usually a woman grocery shopping.

Just saying.

I'm not sure how "groceries" got into this thread, and demographics has nothing to do with this comment.

My comment was directed at the use of "usually a woman" :)

I just don't like seeing that type of reference. I am from the school where the average woman is just as capable as the average man, and I see nothing wrong with my way of thinking.

Sorry if I ruffled any ones feathers, just making a point, and it has nothing to do with political correctness, and every thing to do with the way I was brought up. ;)

Paul

edited to add.

OI.... I understand now.

Edited by mercman

No offense or sarcasm directed toward Ketchenany, but he inspired me:

http://ontariofishingcommunity.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=72948&p=829538

Dear Canadian Tire,

Please know that your Heartland Store (Mississauga) burned me for;

$129.00 + tax in Summer 2010- bought a Yardworks (CT brand) lithium battery in the spring. By late August the battery/charger was defective. Returned with receipt & was given a piece of paper with a 1-800 # accessible mon-fri from 8-5. This was a Saturday. Asked if I could get a replacement battery & was told I was more than welcome to purchase one if I liked. I left your trimmer with your most kind, helpful & understanding staff.

$170.00 + tax in Summer 2013- originally purchased a deep cycle marine battery in Oct 2011. Returned it under warranty in Sept 2012 & was given a new replacement under warranty. Despite the fact I didn't have my receipt, the staff was able to validate the purchase by serial #. Sure enough, replaced battery fails in June 2013. I couldn't find the replacement receipt but I did find the original receipt. Off to Heartland CT. I'm told 'no receipt, no warranty'. I politely (honestly) explain that they tracked the original battery w/o receipt & I did in fact have the original for the first battery. "Can you trace it?" answer; "Yes sir we can trace original batteries, but not replacement batteries". True story, no Bull.

So Canadian Tire I'd like you to know that I have creatively been recouping the funds your Heartland store burned me for. Example, months ago, my CTek charger failed & was well past warranty. I purchased a replacement & returned the defective unit for a cash refund. More recently, a failed 3 yr old portable search light was replaced in the same fashion. I figure Heartland still owes me another $70.00 or so but I'm not sure if I have anything suitable to return as I haven't bought anything of significance in a couple of years. But I do encourage family & friends to assist in evening the score (

http://ontariofishingcommunity.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=72948&do=findComment&comment=829538 ).

I know many members here have had similar issues @ other CT franchises & have been happy with the outcomes. Seems to me that this level of customer care is most likely exclusive to the most kind, helpful & understanding staff, management & ownership @ Heartland. Always wondered why Heartland has signs warning customers @ the return area, that impolite/inappropriate customer behavior will not be tolerated (something to that effect). Perhaps Heartland ownership/management should post some signs directed to staff that encourage Customer Satisfaction & Understanding.

Thx for reading,

Slayer

Psssst...you were "burned" because of others doing what you did in the part I highlighted. Thanks for being one of "those guys" who makes returns harder for other people as well as wasting the time of other customers who will likely buy the junk you returned after it is put back on the shelf.

Seeing as I've been the victim of idiots doing just what you've done and it's cost me a couple hours and some gas money (2 trips to the store to purchase items and another 2 trips to return the items that were broken and had missing parts), I've recorded this thread and will decide in the morning whether I think the store and cops should know about your little plan.

Best hope I wake up on the right side of the bed tomorrow :angel:

Ch312

Psssst...you were "burned" because of others doing what you did in the part I highlighted. Thanks for being one of "those guys" who makes returns harder for other people as well as wasting the time of other customers who will likely buy the junk you returned after it is put back on the shelf.

Seeing as I've been the victim of idiots doing just what you've done and it's cost me a couple hours and some gas money (2 trips to the store to purchase items and another 2 trips to return the items that were broken and had missing parts), I've recorded this thread and will decide in the morning whether I think the store and cops should know about your little plan.

Wow. That's all I have to say.