Dear Canadian Tire

Pikeslayer

No offense or sarcasm directed toward Ketchenany, but he inspired me:
http://ontariofishingcommunity.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=72948&p=829538

Dear Canadian Tire,
Please know that your Heartland Store (Mississauga) burned me for;

$129.00 + tax in Summer 2010- bought a Yardworks (CT brand) lithium battery in the spring. By late August the battery/charger was defective. Returned with receipt & was given a piece of paper with a 1-800 # accessible mon-fri from 8-5. This was a Saturday. Asked if I could get a replacement battery & was told I was more than welcome to purchase one if I liked. I left your trimmer with your most kind, helpful & understanding staff.

$170.00 + tax in Summer 2013- originally purchased a deep cycle marine battery in Oct 2011. Returned it under warranty in Sept 2012 & was given a new replacement under warranty. Despite the fact I didn't have my receipt, the staff was able to validate the purchase by serial #. Sure enough, replaced battery fails in June 2013. I couldn't find the replacement receipt but I did find the original receipt. Off to Heartland CT. I'm told 'no receipt, no warranty'. I politely (honestly) explain that they tracked the original battery w/o receipt & I did in fact have the original for the first battery. "Can you trace it?" answer; "Yes sir we can trace original batteries, but not replacement batteries". True story, no Bull.

So Canadian Tire I'd like you to know that I have creatively been recouping the funds your Heartland store burned me for. Example, months ago, my CTek charger failed & was well past warranty. I purchased a replacement & returned the defective unit for a cash refund. More recently, a failed 3 yr old portable search light was replaced in the same fashion. I figure Heartland still owes me another $70.00 or so but I'm not sure if I have anything suitable to return as I haven't bought anything of significance in a couple of years. But I do encourage family & friends to assist in evening the score (
http://ontariofishingcommunity.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=72948&do=findComment&comment=829538 ).

I know many members here have had similar issues @ other CT franchises & have been happy with the outcomes. Seems to me that this level of customer care is most likely exclusive to the most kind, helpful & understanding staff, management & ownership @ Heartland. Always wondered why Heartland has signs warning customers @ the return area, that impolite/inappropriate customer behavior will not be tolerated (something to that effect). Perhaps Heartland ownership/management should post some signs directed to staff that encourage Customer Satisfaction & Understanding.

Thx for reading,
Slayer

I agree with you and how you feel

but are you admitting to fraud here

just asking

Yeh Terry, openly (& my wife agrees with you ;) ), but I think Judge Judy would side with a counter claim LOL. it's a says a lot when a longtime purchaser/supporter of Mastercraft/CT brands has to resort to fraud/questionable practises to receive honest & sincere customer support from one specific CT franchise (Canadian Tire Heartland). Right or wrong & as posted CT reads this site, I thought it was a good/timely opportunity to reach out to CT in a different format. I'm hopeful that they do in fact filter this post on an open public forum as they have failed to respond to 3 letters & copied emails in the past.

I was probably out of line with my suggestion to Rod Caster but this is a biproduct of customer dissension maybe? So apologies to Chad.

I should also add that my rant/recoup is specific to "Canadian Tire Heartland Mississauga". I've done my fair share of purchasing in Lindsay & Parry Sound in the last few years & will continue to support these (& other) franchises. They are what CT is supposed to be about.

"Canadian Tire Heartland Mississauga" just seems to run their "G.A.S." guage on empty.

Edited by pikeslayer

I've had good service and crap service at most of the big box stores and surprisingly small mom and pops too. What I have learned is what the store policy is for each item. Like buying a $400.00 shallow well pump and brought it back to CTC the same day because it did not work, the motor was poached to be told that I needed to send it back to the manufacturer. I learned that day Mastercraft is not CTC anymore, it's an independent supplier !!!! IT must be true an 18 year old told me.It weighed around 25 pounds. Come on man, where's the store manager, not the acting manager the one that's picture is on the wall. She's off today, call her at home and get her in here because I'm not leaving until you call the OPP and I'll tell them why I'm not leaving. And who's going to pay the plumbers bill for install and removal?

Please give me the receipt Sir.

My wife buys me a ridiculously expensive watch from Facets Jewelers in Caledonia because I buy a $10.00 watch every year whether I need one or not. The stem breaks the second time I use it. Facets says they aren't a Fossil dealer and I need to send it to Texas for warranty work, shipping and insurance is on me. A year latter I get my watch back because it happened twice. Oh or I can drive 2 hours one way to some mall in TO and pick out a new watch, but the replacement is only the price of the same watch in the US and US funds, 40% less than the original was. So she spends $300.00 bucks and Fossil offers me $180.00 credit.

I buy a Okuma trolling rod and reel at Caledonia Bait and Tackle. The first fish on is lost. Reel in the line and the knot at the connection of the lead core and flouro has let go. Along with the $12.00 Reef Runner I bought there along with the other $50.00 I spent and Featherstone Ted bought $75.00 worth of tackle. She tells me it's not her problem talk to Okuma here's their number. Are you kidding me, you are going to loose a first time customer over a lure you paid maybe $5.00 for wholesale? I guess so. Anyone from Caledonia listening?

Find out the return policy before putting out a dime.

I think that's one reason why many boxes are open at CTC that are on the shelf.

I'm done ranting sorry.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

I too have had a slight problem. I bought a 300 Watt powerpack a few years back took it home opened it and tested all is good. Kept it in the box . . . I would guess a year later a storm warning was announced and I decided to 'power it up;' well NO power up. Had the receipt and called them, warranty expired; call the manufacturer, will do.

Manufacturer tells me that the unit had to be plugged in in order to hold a charge. So true in the owner's manual in fine print! . . .

Now I have a 300Watt powerpack with only a flashlight working! :)

Still in the box!

add me to the fraud list lol

my morals/conscience feels no guilt doing the receipt scam at crappy tire....I've had enough crappy service encounters at multiple locations in different provinces, yes there are good managers/franchisee owners, but they still can't override the corporate policies

I started a rant about crappy tire maybe 6 months back, linked the thread in my complaint email and got 1 of 3 issues resolved but it's pretty pathetic I had to resort to doing that

when I argued with one store manager, all he could do was keep saying "sorry, it's not me, I can't override the computer, please email the customer service email and let them know, I can't change anything"

I used to work there for a couple years way back when, their corporate philosophy has definitely changed...I remember my store manager making things right for the customer on numerous occasions, it's not like that anymore

add me to the fraud list lol

my morals/conscience feels no guilt doing the receipt scam at crappy tire....I've had enough crappy service encounters at multiple locations in different provinces, yes there are good managers/franchisee owners, but they still can't override the corporate policies

I started a rant about crappy tire maybe 6 months back, linked the thread in my complaint email and got 1 of 3 issues resolved but it's pretty pathetic I had to resort to doing that

when I argued with one store manager, all he could do was keep saying "sorry, it's not me, I can't override the computer, please email the customer service email and let them know, I can't change anything"

I used to work there for a couple years way back when, their corporate philosophy has definitely changed...I remember my store manager making things right for the customer on numerous occasions, it's not like that anymore

Boy I have to disagree with you on your last statement, CTC here in Lindsay have always been fantastic to deal with (at least for me). They have gone above and beyond on several occasions over the 12 years I have been living here.

Regardless, I don't think lousy customer service anywhere justifies fraud, no wonder they are having to tighten their policies on warrenties.

Boy I have to disagree with you on your last statement, CTC here in Lindsay have always been fantastic to deal with (at least for me). They have gone above and beyond on several occasions over the 12 years I have been living here.

Regardless, I don't think lousy customer service anywhere justifies fraud, no wonder they are having to tighten their policies on warrenties.

I will agree with you that the Lindsay store is a good store, went to school for 4 yrs and that store was always good....but they are the exception, not the norm

I love the way Sail does returns.. no receipt needed. They keep your purchases on file on your profile. All box stores should adopt this

CT's generally pretty good to deal with on returns in my experience, even if you lost your receipt. They usually honour warranties in store and give you a replacement right there. Well most CT's, maybe not hearland lol.

CT not taking back stuff a year later after warranty period is over, that's understandable. But not sure why they wouldn't take back Pikeslayer's trimmer.. sounds like they should of.

The CTC in Brantford ( biggest one in my immediate shopping area) only gets purchases below $50.00 They have been less than supportive on returns, especially big ticket items, even when their own staff (from the appropriate department in the store) have indicated otherwise, one time too many.

I live about 10 minutes from this Canadian Tire and I have to say that it is by far the worst service i've seen at a Canadian Tire in the country. I have been to Canadian Tires in Quebec, Alberta and all over Ontario, Including all of the Mississauga locations and this one takes a cake, so here is my story about the heartland location.

A few years (2007 or 2008) back my parents bought brand new winter tire for their car. Three of which in the first two weeks had to be replaced because they weren't installed properly or maybe a bad batch. When we brought the car back after one of the tires needed replacing the service manager. Was telling other costumers including us how busy they were. He proceed to tell us of another person that had their car in the shop and he was laughing at why it was in the shop there. He told us that it was there because the person's wheel feel off their car going down the highway and he was laughing about it. Since this my family and I have tried to avoid going back to this location, because of this one staff member and manager at that. My parents also filed a complaint against the shop manager.

So in short you might understand why such a sign is up at this location is up, they clearly do not care about costumer service there.

Edited by DynamicBear

I purchased a 9 year replacement battery for my car in 2009 from CT. It was a master craft. It failed this past month and despite ct being the only retailer for master craft batteries, they refused to take it back without a receipt. I even suggested they prorate me to the date of manufacture....seemed reasonable. Still no go. CT is a terrible retailer.

I really wish a US competitor would establish a similar store with better customer service practices that don't seem to make the consumer feel as though they are always on the defensive or make them want to do things that they otherwise wouldn't do like trying to even the score. Real pity because I love their sales. If a US competitor does set up shop and is more consumer friendly, CT better watch out. That would be a good time to short CT stock. That would be a good way to 'even' the score.

As for admitting to fraud and being charged, the police would never pursue this. Look at rob ford. Admitted to possessing and smoking crack, caught peeing in public, etc....and still no charges.