Chicago Muskie Show + deep dish pizza.

Lunkerhunter

is anyone else going down to the chicago muskie show? i am heading down with a buddy tomorrow morning for the weekend. Looks like a good line up of guest speakers.

also anyone who has been to chicago or surrounding area can you recommend a good place to try chicago deep dish pizza? i have never been to chicago so was hoping to try a deep dish pizza. why the hell not.

i think the show and my hotel are in Palatine IL. about 20 miles outside of chicago.

haha

thanks

I like Lou Malnati's for deep dish, they have several locations in the Chicago area. Try their butter crust. They also do a great dessert-chocolate chip cookie in a pizza pan served warm with ice cream. Portillo's is a good place for a Chicago style hot dog, if you're so inclined

For deep dish I would reccomend Giordanos, went there this past summer for 5 days for lollapalooza and sight seeing, the pizza there was way better than any other I had in Chicago, busy though! as stated portillos is an excellent establishment and when I asked a few friends of mine from Chicago where to go portillos was everyone's first answer.

for breakfast a must try is the over easy cafe, get the sassy eggs you will not be disappointed! the yolk is good as well as the wild berry cafe but the wild berry was a lot of hype and a LOONG wait

Chicago's got the best food! Giordano's, lou malnatis, and pizza uno are the most popular I think, probably can't go wrong at any of those places. I've been to lou's and giordanos and can't say which is better, both are great. It's heavy stuff go on a completely empty stomach. My favourite part of chicago other than all the blues bar's is their restaurants. Look up Garret's popcorn too, they have a few locations in and around the loop area - get the "chicago mix, can't be disappointed. I usually get it last day and bring a bag or two home.

I love a thin crust pizza but when you go to Chicago you have to get the deep dish.

One of these days I will go to the Chicago musky show but there is not alot of interest from guys down my way and its a long trip for one person.

Have a blast guys.

Also think about muskies Canada musky Sunday feb 16 at the sportsman show

It's been a while but yes the heaviest pizza I've ever ate. I can easily eat a 8 slice pizza from any shop in Ontario, but the wife and i both had to tackle the Chi-town Deep Dish!!

It was a few years ago but I'm sure this was from Giordanos....oh and when the topping list says "Canadian Bacon" It is ham?

DSC02925.jpg

God that's a ton of carbs in that there pizza. I'd be chasing down burritos or their all beef dogs. or thin crust, which is still Chicago as I understand it, just not as well promoted/rooted/mythologized, as deep dish.

then I'd look for a jazz club to wind down

Edited by woodenboater