Strikemaster Auger - Idle is sputtering and auger wont turn

cityfisher

Hi all,

Bought a new strikemaster auger a couple years ago from BASS pro -- Working great until this past weekend.

Changed the gas/newplug and problem persists. It starts but the idle is all screwed up... and the auger wont spin when given gas.

Any ideas?

Anyone know of a guy that works on them in the Keswick/Newmarket/Surrounding area?

Hello, Ive been fighting mine for years, difficult to get parts for the Tecumseh engine.

When I had the same problem, I found the advance acting up, there is small spring attached to the throttle mechanism and them to the butterfly on the carb, is it in place and in good shape? Can you manually actuate the butterfly? it should scream wide open when running

There is an idle screw adjustment but I would concentrate on the throttle/carb first. Other than idle, does it run correctly? i.e. do you get enough RPMs to turn the clutch? Any small engine shop should be able to help

Hello, Ive been fighting mine for years, difficult to get parts for the Tecumseh engine.

When I had the same problem, I found the advance acting up, there is small spring attached to the throttle mechanism and them to the butterfly on the carb, is it in place and in good shape? Can you manually actuate the butterfly? it should scream wide open when running

There is an idle screw adjustment but I would concentrate on the throttle/carb first. Other than idle, does it run correctly? i.e. do you get enough RPMs to turn the clutch? Any small engine shop should be able to help

Yes the spring is attached and looks fine.. i tried adjusting it, but either direction didnt make a differnt to the IDLE.

It doesnt idle high enough to trigger the clutch and get the auger Moving.

Is it 4 stroke or 2 stroke.

2 stroke -- put fresh mix in Twice with Seafoam!

2things to check, one is the gap on the spark plug, and the second is to pull the carb on it and clean the inside of it thoroughly with carb cleaner and then blow out the orifices with compressed air and put new gaskets and diaphragms in it. Google the manufacturer of the carb, you should be able to find a rebuild kit for it. I did for a 42 year old Pioneer chainsaw this past weekend. Parts are out there, you just have to dig a bit to find them.

Carb kit!!! If you do not want to run regular gas, run Shell premium, it is the only left without ethanol for now. If it is 2 stroke, run Stihl 2stroke engine oil in it. It has stabilizer added so you do not have to mess around at the end of the season, you are always running with it in the machine which also helps to keep it clean.