Need Truck Tires

mike rousseau

Hello all...

So my tires are finally caput... 90,000 km on em...

I can't afford BF all terrains again at about $350/tire...

So I'm looking for your personal opinions/experiences with truck tires... Make and model would help...

I'm leaning towards Goodyear Wranglers... I think I can get them installed for about $1000....

I prefer the look of an all terrain tire... But I'm open to all suggestions... Performance out ways looks now that I'm getting older... Lol

I'm looking for all seasons....

These are going on my f150 4x4... I tow 1-3 times a week with this truck...

Size 275 65 r18

So... What rubber do you like???

Thanks

Mike

I've been running Firestone Destination A/Ts on my Jeep. Would definately buy again. I've heard good things about the General Grabbers too although I've no personal experience with them. My opinion is the BF ATs are overpriced and overhyped. check tirerack.com for reviews.

Edited by Raf

I had an 04 f150 and when it was time to change tires (same size as yours) my compromise between price and looks were Bridgestone Dueller AT2's from Costco. The reviews were good and they came to about $1200 installed. I had them on for a full winter and up to July when I got rid of the truck and I never had a complaint about them.

Just replace the tires on the Ford in the summer. With looking to get a new vehicle next year I didn't want to spend a ton either. Ended up going with a crappy tire set as they had pretty good overall reviews on CT site and other off roading forums. I went with these.

http://tires.canadiantire.ca/en/tires/winter-tires/product/0062127P/motomaster-total-terrain-w-t-for-light-trucks-suvs/1082009/

After having them for a few months (and about 25k on them) I'm pretty happy with them for the price but they are a noisy tire though. I've had the BFG's and Michelin's in the past and they are a better tire but at almost half the price the Motomasters are not too bad of a bang for your buck. Would they be my first choice in a tire, no. But have served me well so far.

(BTW - I picked mine up for a buy 3 get one free event)

Edited by fishnsled

If you want something very similar to the BF ATs, General Grabber AT2 are excellent. Nearly identical tread pattern to the BFs and priced about the same as the wranglers. I have these tires on my truck and love them.

http://www.generaltire.ca/productdetails.php?id=grabberat2

I can get these for $900 all said and done...

That's not bad

I can get these for $900 all said and done...

That's not bad

T/A KO's @ Tirerack = $920 + $35 shipping +$60-70 for balancing and installation, if you're willing to cross the border....

OR

They have the higher rated Firestone destination A/T in your size for $760...

T/A KO's @ Tirerack = $920 + $35 shipping +$60-70 for balancing and installation, if you're willing to cross the border....

OR

They have the higher rated Firestone destination A/T in your size for $760...

$127-250 for shipping depending on what warehouse I want them from....

Zip code 13662.... According to tire rack quote...

Mike

Do yourself a favour and drive over to the Buffalo area.

Check out these guys - they have six stores in the general area

http://www.mavistire.com/ProductCart/pc/_shopbyvehicle4.asp

I bought my tires in Watertown, saved almost $300.00 (even paying the HST at the border)

They are super people and their prices are better than TireRack, because once you get the tires, then there is installation, Mavis will quote for the whole package.

David aka Superdad

Kingston

If you drive in snow I would NEVER EVER rely on Wrangler all seasons. I had to sets on different vehicles and they were worse than Canadian Tire cheapies on a Jeep and a full sized Ford Van. I bought new Wranglers for the jeep in October the first snow fall in the Jeep they were summer tires only. Replaced them with Michelin LTX's for the winter and never had a traction issue until I sold the vehicle. Not being the sharpest knife I let my scottish side rule when I was offered a steal of a deal on a set of Wranglers for the Ford E150. After the first snow fall I realized my life was worth more than the cost of a set of Michelin LTX's for it as well.

Mike

Do yourself a favour and drive over to the Buffalo area.

Check out these guys - they have six stores in the general area

http://www.mavistire.com/ProductCart/pc/_shopbyvehicle4.asp

I bought my tires in Watertown, saved almost $300.00 (even paying the HST at the border)

They are super people and their prices are better than TireRack, because once you get the tires, then there is installation, Mavis will quote for the whole package.

David aka Superdad

Kingston

Buffalo is a tad far....

I'm in Cornwall... Lol

Im buying I Massena NY

So my tires are finally caput... 90,000 km on em...

I can't afford BF all terrains again at about $350/tire...

So I'm looking for your personal opinions/experiences with truck tires... Make and model would help...

Same here Mike. I got 90K on the original Goodyear Wranglers on my RAM.

I priced around a fair bit and finally decided on Canadian Tire Motormaster Total Terrain A/T2. Bought 4 for price of three after discussing with the automotive manager. I am very happy with the purchase.

Got Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armors on my SUV.

Good all around tire, good on ice, snow, sand haven't been in bad mud though.

They are pretty quiet on the highway too.

They are a little on the soft side and tend to wear a little fast on our roads here in Yellowknife but I liked them enough to buy a second set. ;)

The highways department is also using them on their work vehicles here.

Unless you are doing a lot of heavy hauling or towing stay away from the E rated version as I hear the ride is pretty poor compared to the lighter versions.

The Toyo AT's are also highly recommended by my local tire guy.

Quite a bit more $$$$ though.

Edited by DRIFTER_016

If most of your 4x4 usage is at boat ramps and you dont spend much time on rough trails, the Wrangler Duratrac/Territory might be a little too rougj and noisy for what you need. You wont get that kind of treadlife with many A/T's (definitely not the Cooper's or Motomaster's) but I would reccomend the Wild Country XTX (great deal at Caltire) or the Firestone Destination A/T's. I'm gonna put the M/T's on my truck next spring...awesome tires for a good price

Interesting topic for me now that I just got a 2007 Ram 1500 with 20" wheels; I'm keenly watching this thread.

The truck has 275/60R20's right now that could use some more winter traction as well as towing use.

Sorry to possibly hijack the thread for me too.