A fall from grace (the Duck Dynasty)

redpearl99

I love duck dynasty. Phil speaks a lot of truth redneck style which I agree with 100% . A&E made the wrong move by banning the one of the shows most beloved characters for his personal beliefs. The family has stood by him and told a&e, no Phil, no show - shows what kind of people they are. It also must be noted that the duck dynasty sponsors (under armour, bps ect....) have decided to stay with the duck dynasty clan.

What a fail for A&E

you guys do realize the constitution and the right to free speech have nothing to do with this case. Free speech is to protect the public from government interference with free speech. It's not meant to protect against the right of a private company (A&E) to fire anyone it wants for comments which may or may not have been offensive.

His observations about blacks and civil rights were also a factor. The reality is that a large % of his fans probably agree with him. AE had to do something.

Show bigger than ever. The DD products used to be only in cabelas, bp and gander, now in non outdoor retailers like sears, jc penny etc.

Suburban kids that have never seen a fishing rod or a duck blind are wearing duck commander gear and camo jackets.

This should be a interesting thread....apparently the first amendment means squat these days.

If your a celebrity or somebody that is in the public eye and you happen to be a Anglo Saxon white guy you best keep your mouth shut or you`ll be labelled a homophobic hate monger which is unfortunate even if it is your first amendment right to express your Ideas,opinions and beliefs.

Equally as unfortunate it seems open season on WASP population!!!

you guys do realize the constitution and the right to free speech have nothing to do with this case. Free speech is to protect the public from government interference with free speech. It's not meant to protect against the right of a private company (A&E) to fire anyone it wants for comments which may or may not have been offensive.

No one is saying A&E didn't have the right to suspend him, we are just disagreeing with you that they'll end up canceling the entire show because of it.

I don't agree with his comments regarding gays but I don't think it was vengeful or mean-spirited. The fact is the comments I watched were pretty much in alignment with many churches. I guess you could say he had the right to say it and the contract must give the network the right to cancel. I've only watched it a couple times and frankly it really doesn't appeal to me. It appeared as though the scenes were scripted and then they just let them interract, sometimes humorously but mostly not so much.

It's not about free speech. It's about business, racism and homophobia. It's not a free speech debate. He can speak whatever bull he wants but his employer has a right to dismiss him if they feel he is damaging their product.
Being Anglo Saxon or Christian means you are a racist or anti -gay? Give me a beak!!!!!
Landry

I don't agree with what he said but I'm not surprised he said it. He is of strong Christian belief from the southern states. He is also from a much older generation. My grandfather says stuff all the time where afterwords I think 'Grandfather, you can't say that anymore.' They were raised in a different time then us.

Either something will break and they will have him back on the show or they will lose some viewers. I don't know if the show will tank but I'm pretty sure the ratings will go down.

Publicity. They are rich for a reason

Seeing as Phil started the company in 1972, I'm willing to bet they were rich long before the TV show was even thought of and I can't help but think their quality calls and word of mouth is why they have $$$.

Part of being a redneck is giving honest answers when people ask you a question and not giving a rats ass what people think of you :D. I don't think his comments justified an "indefinite suspension" from the show. Neither do my GAY brother or his GAY boyfriend, who both enjoy the show.