Suggestions on Temagami Ice Bungalows?

wuchikubo

Hi everyone,

I trust all are well and keeping safe this holiday season. With the early colder weather, I'm looking forward to an early ice fishing season!

I'm looking to book a couple of nights in an ice fishing bungalow up in Temagami towards the mid-end of January 2014. I've never been up there for ice fishing and would like to see if anyone has had any experience good or bad with any of the operators up there (if it was a poor experience, please PM me instead of making a possible "bashing" on the public forum). I am hoping to try and catch my first ling on this trip too.

If you don't want to post a reply here please send me a PM instead.

So far, I've come across King Huts and John's but would like to know of any others I should consider.

Be safe and look forward to some responses.

Thanks,

Stan

Edited by HearingFish

Stan.. any friends with a good RV trailer or truck camper? Travel will be great this year... currently about 10" or more of ice and no snow. Suspect you could park many places on the beaten tracks just by shovelling a parking spot to the side of the ice roads.... turn the heat on and enjoy yourself immensely using a portable hut or two.

That said.. John and Jenny at Loon.... Bruce at Tamar... not sure if Ketchenany Lodge is still active but you could buy it for 900k and let us all stay there.... Temagami Island Lodge... Linda's Wigwams on Bear Island and others. Can never figure out the lack of advertising, yet the 100+ rental shacks and bungalows down in the South arm and Shiningwood Bay. Guess enough repeaters they stay happy and full.

Edited by irishfield

Thanks to everyone for all the info.

I've narrowed it down and have put in a request, I'll wait to see the response.

Wayne, one of these days I'll spend some time and build RV trailer, wanna help? Then we can patent it and sell them off, then after selling 5000 or so MAYBE we'll have enough to buy Ketchuneny lodge for that 900K. All kidding aside, thanks for the info.

For those looking: The prices have ranged from $140-$200 per person for a two night mid week stay.

• 1 month later...

Just a quick recap of a great trip up to Temagami. Sorry, no pics.

Our mid week trip was last week during the some cold days of -32 to -36 C.

The first stop was to pick up some bait in North Bay. Of the places we went an purchased bait, I would recommend Trout Lake Outfitter's Bait and Tackle. Very reasonably priced and had pin-heads (when others didn't).

Our destination was Tamar Vacations with Bruce Rice, a very respectable ice bungalow operator who when out of his way to try and locate active fish (targeting whitefish). The bungalows were nicely equipped. Just to note, if you plan on sleeping and like it warm, take the top bunk.

Of our two nights and three day stay we did ice one of my target species (burbot, while only about 12 inches, it was good to have it crossed off my list of species caught). Many lake trout were caught and released (season not open until Feb 15th), and only one herring and one whitefish were caught about 1 hour before our departure time. A few heavy fish were lost on the way up while hand lining the tip up. I guess that Lake trout are the main target for most anglers up there as we were the only ones around during the week.

Small flashy spoons and pin head minnows did the best. Glow in the dark spoons and jigs got the Lings. We also bought worms to try, but nothing touched them.

All in all a good trip and break away from the city grind. Definitely an operator that I would suggest and will use again given the opportunity.

Thanks for reading,

Stan

Yep.. glad you were happy with your trip Stan! .. and you are correct, VERY few bother going out there for just whities and pickerel for some reason. Something I haven't been able to figure out, seeing you can keep 25 Whitefish and 4 walleye.....compared to only 2 lakers, but their loss. If I had more spare time I'd be on the lake every week, all winter long.