winter boots

ColdH20guy

Hi gang

Not sure if this has been posted before but just curious on thoughts about winter boots. I am looking for a pair of just above ankle type ( Columbia bugaboot, baffin snosport or north face flochute etc). I have a pair of traditional 'high' sorels, just curious if anyone has tried these smaller boots for warmth, durability..etc

thanks guys

Rich

I'm on my second pair of the Columbia Bugaboots. First pair lasted 4 years. I've had the ones I'm wearing now for 2 years. very warm and comfortable for me. Unlike the Sorels that have a removable liner, the Columbia boot doesn't, so every two or three days, I put them up on the hot air duct overnight to make sure they dry out the perspiration.

Great boots!

I'm on my second pair of the Columbia Bugaboots. First pair lasted 4 years.

Why did they only last 4 years :dunno: I have some comfy sorels that are over 30 years old. Pretty much only wear them when I shovel the driveway now as they are a little heavy. But I have put them through alot of abuse over the years.

Maybe it's just me... and I mean no offense by it...but if I had to replace a pair of winter boots after only 4 years I certainly would not be buying another pair.

Edited by crappieperchhunter

Well I guess it depends on the intended use. I have a pair of really old felt pack pac boots as well that are still going strong.

But the Columbia boot seems to be more of an athletic fit and style not to mention lighter. I walk my dog every day in the winter and I'm looking for a new boot. Will probably check out the Columbia's myself.

I don't intend of having the same pair of boots for 30 years...... 4 years of good hard use is great imo - a 30 yr old pair of boots for sure doesn't have the same amount of cushioning, support, insulation, and physical structure as a newer pair, so toss em would what I would say to you.

The newer boots these days are like wearing air on your feet, with better warmth and waterproof protection than ever before. The down side is the durability of these materials isn't like your wearing a animal Hyde boot that weights 15 lbs.

I'd take a newer tech boot any day over an old style cement bock boots of yesteryear.

I don't intend of having the same pair of boots for 30 years...... 4 years of good hard use is great imo - a 30 yr old pair of boots for sure doesn't have the same amount of cushioning, support, insulation, and physical structure as a newer pair, so toss em would what I would say to you.

The newer boots these days are like wearing air on your feet, with better warmth and waterproof protection than ever before. The down side is the durability of these materials isn't like your wearing a animal Hyde boot that weights 15 lbs.

I'd take a newer tech boot any day over an old style cement bock boots of yesteryear.

They stopped being a daily wear boot years ago. But they where still in good shape so I kept them for doing outdoor chores in...like when I'm hauling or splitting firewood or like I already mentioned for throwing on when I shovel the driveway. Seems pretty stupid and wasteful to me to just throw them away.

Do you EVER stop and think before you type out one of your useless replies :whistling:

They stopped being a daily wear boot years ago. But they where still in good shape so I kept them for doing outdoor chores in...like when I'm hauling or splitting firewood or like I already mentioned for throwing on when I shovel the driveway. Seems pretty stupid and wasteful to me to just throw them away.

Do you EVER stop and think before you type out one of your useless replies :whistling:

:oops::rofl2:

:w00t::rofl2::clapping:

My guess would be......NO!

For really cold days -25 I like my sorels with the felt liner. They are a little heavy,clunky but toasty warm. Milder days -12 & augering holes with splashing water I like my Nat's. They're all rubber, extremely light weight & grip the snow & ice better than any boot I know of. Like a winter tire!

I love my Sorel Glaciers for those really cold days out on the ice... Cold feet are a thing of the past with these bad boys..

They're high boots though but I would lean towards a higher boot for ice fishing anyway..

Those Baffin Snosports look sweet but I dunno if I would trust them for a full day out on the ice in minus 30 IMHO...

cheers

HD

We all wear columbias at our house, a bugaboot or some variation of it. I wear a little lower cut version with a rubber boot foot and a hiker top. We often wait for a sale at sears, they go on almost half price near the start of the season sometimes. I paid $60 for mine tax in this year, and for general winter daily wear, they are very warm and quite water resistant. The rest of my family has had similar opinions of their columbias. Mine would not be suitable for deep snow or Ice fishing, but for in and out of the car, and being out and about they are perfect. I have other boots for ice fishing or -30. If your looking for general purpose boots, columbias are excellent!

I can't find a decent pair of lower cut boots that WATERPROOF under a hundred bucks that are size 14W... Been just about everywhere in town tried the websites of brands mentioned here. plus 10 others or so. Nothing available in Canada... I see all kinds of small sizes that look interesting though. Maybe I should lop off some toes LOL.