Vexilar Flx28

xrap

I just recently upgraded from a flx18 to a 28. I used it for the first time this weekend but only fished in less than 10 feet. So far I'm not really liking it too much, my bait looked so huge on the screen and the gain was at 0. I played with all the settings, I really could not figure out how to make it any smaller. The other thing was the digital depth read out. It showed up and then the depth kept jumping by 1 or 2 feet. Sometimes it was consistent jumping and really i couldn't tell what the actual depth was. It was only my first time using it, I'll give it another shot before I decided to keep it or return it. I'd just like to get another opinion from somebody else that may have it and what is thier expierence so far.

Use low power mode if available in that model and also if you have the tribeam transducer your cone will make a huge difference in size. I was in 10ft using my fl20 and couldn't figure out why my bait was marking so big then I remembered to change the angle from a narrow beam to a wider one.

Use low power mode if available in that model and also if you have the tribeam transducer your cone will make a huge difference in size. I was in 10ft using my fl20 and couldn't figure out why my bait was marking so big then I remembered to change the angle from a narrow beam to a wider one.

the 28 comes with a pro view ducer so you know longer have that option. I have chatted with other guys on forums that have the same problem as I do. Seems like only way fishing in shallow water is to use the low power setting and this way you lose your zoom. One the other hand I might give that S cable a try and see if it really makes a difference. As for the digital depth jumping, still got no idea. Thanks for the tips guys!

I'd return it and get either the ice 55 by hummingbird or a lx-5 from Marcum. I have the ice 55 its super easy to use and accurate. I've heard nothing but good things from the marcum camp as well. That's my opinion though I've never used a vexilar but I think they are lagging behind in tech

I always run in Low Power mode in less than 10 fow. Yes you lose your zoom but why would you need it when you are only in 8 fow?

My guess on the digital depth jumping was you were on a soft bottom that caused it to fluctuate. Yesterday I had mine fluctuating between 15 and 19 feet. I was stumped until I moved around a bit and figured out I was setup right on the edge of a 4 foot high boulder on the bottom. The cone was hitting the rock on one side and the bottom on the other, a rare occurance to see that I'd think but once I figured it out I was able to move and set up just beside that boulder and wail on Bluegills as they were surrounding it.

I've been playing around with my 28. In the day when everyone is begging for more colors on their flasher I went down to the two color pallette yesterday and actually preferred it.

Anymore questions regarding Vexilar fire me a PM anytime.

RJ