Harvesting your Catch; Question in regards to those with Toddlers.

rbaquial

Hi Everyone,

About 2yrs ago, I became father for the 1st time - BEST FEELING IN THE WORLD. Anyway, I've always been an avid fisherman (even well before I got married) ... Now that I have a 2yr old daughter - I'm curious on how some parents out there go about intoducing 'harvesting' of fish to their toddlers?

I'm loving the idea of introducing Fishing to my Daughter - I just don't know how to go about this - I mean....its a lot to think about... How do you go about it??

Any help I can get from all the parents out there would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks in Advance,

A2F

Initially, I did the "harvesting" out of sight of my kids. My wife is also very squeamish on the subject. At an early age it's OK to let a child know, after dinner, the fish they caught were what they had for supper. Let them know they are going out to catch some supper. At 4 my son was having his first whacks on the fish's head. Kids have a natural curiosity to see what is going on. Gutting a fish becomes a science class in dissection

Im with bill, my kids have watched me right from the time tey could walk. As they got older and had ther own interest in fishing, they were very proud to catch keepers and provide a lovely meal. They always watch keenly over me now, wanting to know what they caught had eaten. Now my ildest boy and girl are starting to fillete on their own, supervised of course. They're 11 and 13

I have 2 boys 6 and 4. In the beginning I would clean the fish and fry it up for them. I made this a special moment with them as it was a treat to have Fresh fish. I told them its not easy to catch fish and it took work and patience. When I asked if they wanted to come and fish with them they screamed "YEAH" ( very proud daddy moment). When we got out on the water I told them that they can help catch dinner and we'll cook their catch. This is where I taught them not to keep the very little ones and not to keep the very big ones ( did have that conversation to much later). They looked at fish as a food source but knew that they were living creatures. They haven't help me clean them yet as they are still too little but they will watch. I teach them the anatomy of the fish and how it works. They always like seeing what the fish ate, as did I when I was a kid and my dad did the same thing.

Ease your daughter into it. Don't just show her fish guts and fish heads. If she understands that its a food source she'll accept the process it takes to put it on the table.

nick

Everyone is different.

Me... I was raised in Pickle Lake. Mashed pickerel and Pike was much cheaper than baby food! So that's what I got!!

For me, as long as I can remember, I was Always trying to catch a meal. If I didn't come home with a fish for dinner, my grandparents would tease me!!!

My son is 15 months. He watched me clean crappie last weekend. Then eat some with me after it was cooked.

Edited by N.A.W

My boys are 6, 4, and 3. My girl 16 months. Since they could crawl they been involved in fishing and hunting. When I'm cleaning fish the like nothing better than to be elbow deep in guts. My 6 year old is self sufficient in the catching dept. ties his own lures, baits, casts and retrieves. My 4 year old still needs help tying the hook. My 6 year old was starting to fillet fish this fall and I hope for him to get more practice over this winter.

These are from a couple years back.

38442_414589526589_2784975_n_zps1b1c6b62

38442_414589511589_5002371_n_zps0462f056

37931_414589791589_2448687_n_zps107bba39

In Newfoundland we call these peas....cod roe sacks

35172_414641186589_4719449_n_zps61e18388

35172_414641191589_4690846_n_zps151af02a

Wrinkles....sea snails

37519_414640566589_7497327_n_zpsf3b8a845

34300_414640766589_8194436_n_zps3d8734d9

34300_414640771589_2938407_n_zpse8e139a3

Can't forget the rabbits. If they'll put up with that smell they'll clean any animal.

397904_10150571558866590_523365846_n_zps

408149_10150571558986590_470007992_n_zps

424739_10150571559151590_166488296_n_zps

423781_10150571559416590_1391389805_n_zp

And the kitty

418569_10150571556786590_307647568_n_zps

407224_10150571556961590_929275462_n_zps

Sorry to hijack your thread but just so you get the point...lol

Summer's first harvests fishing involved her. We would walk Store Creek in Moosonee and catch small specks. To keep moving without the fish I would hide them under bark or leaves and ask her to remember where they were on the way back home. I'd slow the pace nearing our stocks and ask her if we forgot anything, or if we're close to our fish. She loved being responsible for finding them... more than reeling them in. They were her Easter eggs and back home I would cook them in the pan only gutted. They were her snacks she got to share, and share she did. Only went that way a few years but the process of catching and harvesting fish took early roots in a good way. When I come home now with fish and put them in the sink, even as a teen she's curious to drop what she's doing and have a look at the catch.

Leah fell into it because she's just curious about everything. Wants to see all the inards, touch the fish, talk about it, watch them cook, understand the process, and if she can go with Dad fishing to get them. After every time I get back from fishing, if she's home, she comes to the garage and asks (yells out) the same questions. How was your fishing? Did you catch any fish? Did you bring any home? She's like a broken record that has been playing that same tune for years now.

No matter what about harvest and fishing the main thing with kids is, they need to see you're happy and that it's being done right, and that in some good way they are very much a part of it.

great thread. my daughter just turned one and my wife is a vegetarian. I was wondering how i was going to go about teaching my daughter how to fillet fish especially when her mother cant even be in the same room.

my wife wont keep any fish but has no problem with me keeping my limit. i eat fresh fish pretty much weekly so its always in front of her she just pretends it doesnt happen. hahaha

Father of a 2.5 and 4.5 year olds, here.

There is not much to think about. Introduce them to all aspects of fishing. In the spring my 2 year old daughter was the best plate holder and fillet washer I've ever had, and has no problem playing with the worms. Heck she even helps carry ducks and geese from the vehicle to the cleaning spot. Large game too for both kids.

Judge by her reaction and willingness to help, she will let you know when she is grossed out or not. And ensure you demonstrate and speak to the respect for animals while harvesting and cleaning.

Entropy

I had an Aunt that once said she thought is was disgusting that parents take their children hunting. And that those poor kids should be 18 years old first to choose if they want to go hunting or not.

My reply to her was.

I think it is disgusting that parents take their children to church, and that those kids should have to be 18 years old before they choose to be indoctrinated in to any particular religion.

That caught her attention, and she had nothing to say.

I also think it is important for children (heck even city folk) to know where apples, milk, drinking water, grain, and vegies come from. The number of children in the city that have never seen a real live cow or horse is disturbing.

I had an Aunt that once said she thought is was disgusting that parents take their children hunting. And that those poor kids should be 18 years old first to choose if they want to go hunting or not.

My reply to her was.

I think it is disgusting that parents take their children to church, and that those kids should have to be 18 years old before they choose to be indoctrinated in to any particular religion.

Awesome.

My reply to her was.

That caught her attention, and she had nothing to say.

I also think it is important for children (heck even city folk) to know where apples, milk, drinking water, grain, and vegies come from. The number of children in the city that have never seen a real live cow or horse is disturbing.

i agree 100%...... :worthy::worthy::worthy:

Rob, one thing that wasn't said yet was make sure you have a spincast combo for her to use! I would stand on the dock with my gear to cast and both my kids (now 7 and 10) would ask (and still do!) if they could fish too. Kids do like to do what mom and or dad are doing if it looks like fun. And yes, my kids have seen me filet a fish many a time and still like to be a part of it. More so if it's a fish they caught. They devour the meal if they caught it.

Kids love dead things. I know when we come home with a bunch of fish or game, I have all the kids on the street over to check it out. Some of them even ask that I dont tell their parents.

Like said, if you dont make a big deal about it, neither will the kids. Let curiosity do its thing, and whatever you do, dont be afraid to let them get some blood on their hands!

My 11 year old son can fillet fish as good as anyone, and I now have a hard time cleaning any fish or game, because he wants to do it all.....god love him lol

S.