Quinte, atleast we didnt get skunked

RangerGuy

I'm very interested in hearing the whole story as well. Bottom line is that everyone made it to shore alive....thank god.....stuff happens quick and always when you least expect it. Sharing bad experiences like these could very well save someone elses life somewhere down the road.

S.

this is what Scott wrote

he was one of the charter boats involved in the rescue

we had diner with him that night

I just finished tucking my kids into bed and I snuggled them a little tighter tonight and added a few extra kisses. Days like today make you feel lucky to be alive.

I don't deserve any praise, we did what anyone of you would have done. We were just very lucky to be in the vicinity. I saw the bow of a boat and debri in the water then realized it was 4 guys in the water. I just happened upon them. I didn't go above and beyond just consider myself lucky to have been there very soon after their accident. I don't think they had been in the water very long based on how close together the debri was and how fast the boat sank. I radioed Sheldon as we had been fishing close together and running in together so I knew he was close. We each pulled two guys aboard then transferred the guys into my cabin added a Sheldon's heater and began the run in to meet the paramedics. A big thank you to Jeff a client aboard Sheldon's boat that was a paramedic who took control of monitoring the guys condition. These guys couldn't have been luckier. To have so much help close by. Yvan Rousseau responded to offer help as did several other boats in the area. Comforting to know we are all one big family out there. I know I don't want or deserve any praise just happy to help and did what each and everyone of you would have done.

They all had float suits which made spotting them easier and kept them afloat. They were wet, cold, and scared but drove home tonight.

Let's keep it positive and lay no blame. It blew up fast and the perfect circumstances occurred to create a horrible situation. All's well that ends well. It was the final kick in the pants I needed to wear my life jacket daily. I want to snuggle my kids tomorrow night too.

Please no praise or recognition for me, there were others there to do it if I wasn't first in line. Just use it to be more safety conscious.

First let me say I am glad that everybody survived the accident.

This does how ever reinforce my personal decision to avoid the big water in my 17-6" boat especially this time of year and certainly with weather conditions the way they were yesterday I know my limits and the limits of my boat, was there not a severe weather warning for the area yesterday with winds in the 30-40 range I would think that would produce waves in the 1 to 2 meter range! My boat would never have left the trailer.

Call me crazy but when the November winds are blowing and the waves are rolling I am much more comfortable sitting in my lazy boy watching a game!!!

six years in a row I did 10 to 12 day trips in December on Quinte - in my 17' boat. you just have to know when not to go out. we never tried to "beat" the weather. if we saw the winds were going to blow, we didn't go out. the key is knowing if your up for 10 to 12 days, there is the next day to wait.

safety is paramount out there. i'm very glad these fella's are still around to hug their families.

what scares ME the most is the crazy kayaker's who are out there in November, then posting on the net to show their results.

THAT is going to cause a death.

My late buddy Serge, who died on Lake Ontario, in his Kayak, in November, was experienced, and went out on a calm day. A freak snow squall blew threw and that was the end of it.

Be safe EVERYONE!

I have made some bad choices over the years, it's easy to do

but made it home cold and wet...stuff happens

As we ALL have.

I would much rather be in someone else's boat than mine on windy days. They know what the boat can do and I know what mine can do and big waves are not it's thing. And I'm talking about my boat(s) here not what happened. SO GLAD everyone is physically ok from this.

six years in a row I did 10 to 12 day trips in December on Quinte - in my 17' boat. you just have to know when not to go out. we never tried to "beat" the weather. if we saw the winds were going to blow, we didn't go out. the key is knowing if your up for 10 to 12 days, there is the next day to wait.

safety is paramount out there. i'm very glad these fella's are still around to hug their families.

what scares ME the most is the crazy kayaker's who are out there in November, then posting on the net to show their results.

THAT is going to cause a death.

My late buddy Serge, who died on Lake Ontario, in his Kayak, in November, was experienced, and went out on a calm day. A freak snow squall blew threw and that was the end of it.

Be safe EVERYONE!

Different strokes for different folks I guess, I can`t imagine sitting in a freezing cold boat in December 15 pound walleye or not!!!!

And there was a severe weather warning for the area yesterday calling for 40 km winds gusting to 60 from the northwest so I don`t know.

Different strokes for different folks I guess, I can`t imagine sitting in a freezing cold boat in December 15 pound walleye or not!!!!

And there was a severe weather warning for the area yesterday calling for 40 km winds gusting to 60 from the northwest so I don`t know.

LETS JUST BE THANKFUL ALL ARE ALIVE TO LIVE AND TELL.

I'm grateful that everyone got out relatively unscathed. I'm sure that everyone here was concerned and wanted to know who was involved. People were just worried is all. Some life lessons learned here. Let's leave it at that. Hats off to Greg, Sheldon and the others for a quick and efficient mission.

I was asked to lock this by a few people. I think we should leave it up and think about it for a while.

I can confirm how fast the waves came up. We were just past Sherman's

when I started my turn to head back down the other side towards glenora.

Before I finished my turn the waves were up and we were reeling up.

I myself made a mistake we just got lucky. It could have been easily us.

Instead of just working the motor I was reeling in the lines as well and the

boat kept spinning side ways. I won't make that mistake again ever!

Again, glad to here all is well...

I'm grateful that everyone got out relatively unscathed. I'm sure that everyone here was concerned and wanted to know who was involved. People were just worried is all. Some life lessons learned here. Let's leave it at that. Hats off to Greg, Sheldon and the others for a quick and efficient mission.

I was asked to lock this by a few people. I think we should leave it up and think about it for a while.

It would be a shame to lock this thread...glad you didn`t Roy, it should serve as a reminder of who is boss out there and not to mess with her!!!!

Well I'm very glad all involved were rescued and are safe. Maybe one day we will learn what happened so we can try to govern ourselves accordingly should we find ourselves in a similar situation. Things can happen in the blink of an eye and these men are very lucky.

Did the boat sink completely? I thought there was some type of inner foam to stop that from happening. Anyone know?

The foam can become waterlogged over time. I know that a small piece of foam from my old boat broke off in sank to the bottom of the bilge area. It wasn't too long after that that my boat sank.

I have been told that the new foam is better. My old boat was a early nineties model.

Also kept the boat at the dock so it was often full of water. It probably wouldn't be as much of an issue if the boat trailered when not in use.

Fairly new boat as far as I understand. I can't see it being water logged. I don't think I'd even go on the water in a tracker boat now.

I totally understand not posting the story right away, those guys must be traumatized. Thank god everyone is OK....that's all that's important here.

S.

Some thankful fellas and a few heroes of the day are at home right now all counting their blessings. Good show from Scott, Sheldon and all others involved.

Spent a number of days out there now, and have yet to suffer much more than a two foot chop. Wind sites like Windguru and Windfinder do a great job steering to the best weather days, and those looking to fish the bay should consider having those sites in their back pocket. Besides, if you have the choice of your days, calm and comfortable leads to better boat, crew, boards and lure control, and IMO are the BEST and safest days to be enjoyed on big Lady O. No need to stress for giant gold socks cause they'll still be swimming and putting up wimpy fights the next day. More important than the fish though, is the boat and lives within it... Know your limits and if your gut is telling you to get off the water, get off the water.

About kayakers... in the past two years I've seen a few here and there and never on a day when weather and waves was of any concern. Even if it was, these guys are wearing their vests, have a vessel that will probably still float even if upside down, they have warm clothes on under waders to help them through the colder days fishing, they can pretty much beach wherever they want along any shoreline if safety becomes an issue AND, the fellas noted aren't at all far from the launches where they put-in anyhow. Yeah cold water kills, but that'd be true for anyone in a boat or yak or tube that pushes their boundaries.

Happy this turned out OK... it could have been a tragic tale or reminder for us all, but instead it's just a reminder.

Edited by Moosebunk