October Camping Trip

Tim Mills

A few pics from a late October camping trip on the Mississippi River system in North Frontenac. I left Sat. at 530am and was at the access by 1030. The first access rd I tried was gated and locked so I had to back track and lost an hour.

Leaving the access point

Fall2013147_zps1ccf2d5e.jpg

20 minute boat ride to the camp-site (2 mins in a real boat)

Fall2013150_zps8136d0af.jpg

Home for 1 night. I know the tree huggers don't approve but I always appreciate a site with furniture. The tables and shelves are a real back saver.

Fall2013126_zpsf2cefba7.jpg

I camped at the same site in the summer and enjoyed catching a few of these in a near by back lake. I was hoping to fish the same water this trip as well.

IMG_0312_zpsaa5f03e0.jpg

Unfortunately, I had to change my plans when I realized that the lake I fished in the summer was drained dry when they lowered the dam downstream. This area behind my site was 4-6ft deep in the summer and led to the back lake. This is how it looked in late October.

Fall2013131_zps9c7876e2.jpg

The fishing was pretty good Sat late afternoon/ evening. I caught a few SM Trolling and casting smaller Rapala minnow baits and xraps. Also tried worm harness but got shut-out on that.

Fall2013136_zps038a7653.jpg

Also caught 1 small pike, 1 walleye and 1 good LM,

Fall2013133_zps08a533ba.jpg

It rained alot mid afternoon and night. I needed the white man fire to dry out the clothes. After a couple of beers I was a little slow to notice the collateral damage to the tarp.

Fall2013142_zpsfad980a1.jpg

Fall Colours. A good time to go, nobody checking permits (or lack of permits). I had the lake to myself except for one boat on Sunday afternoon.

Fall2013143_zps9fd798a2.jpg

The sun came out Sunday and the fish cooperated. Caught some hard fighting SM in sheltered bays.

Fall2013146_zps31b3a9c3.jpg

A short but very enjoyable trip except for the fact that I lost the rod/reel in the picture below. Sloppy rod holder rigging on my part. The rod was nothing special but I had the bait caster for 15 years. It was in fairly shallow water off an island and if I had been able to spot it I would have gone in for it.

Fall2013130_zps462fab12.jpg

Time to plan the spring trips I guess.

Tim

Mississippi River is a gem from top to bottom. From the lake through Lanark County into Frontenac is some super pretty country. Travelled from Crotch to Mississippi Lake and the number of smallies up top, with decent numbers of largemouth, pike and walleye in parts can make for some solid fun fishing days. Thanks for the report... got me reliving a little. Ragged and King's Chutes were favorite places along the way.