Heading to Michigan ? better wear orange

Jds63

Talking from some guys from Michigan this morning. They said opening day for deer is a legitimate holiday. Not sure if this is true, or if he was telling a little white lie.

I do know you can buy sacks and grain and apples at the gas stations!

Talking from some guys from Michigan this morning. They said opening day for deer is a legitimate holiday. Not sure if this is true, or if he was telling a little white lie.

I do know you can buy sacks and grain and apples at the gas stations!

It's pretty much true. I think a lot of businesses just shut down since it opens on a weekday. My Dad is from Pennsylvania and the schools shut down for the first 2 days of rifle season and probably do in a lot of areas of MI also. Here in Indiana we get the guns out tomorrow. I've been hunting since September 15th though with crossbow.

Edited by 10point

With 650,000 guys blasting guns at them, they don't have a chance to become adults.

Yea,but they are real small deer.

There is an arm of my family that has a private hunting lodge and cabins on about 3,500 acres nearer the top of the lower peninsula. Every year, 90% of the hunters get a buck, with an 8-point minimum to take a shot (self-imposed) and usually a couple 12+ brutes in the mix.

Not sure where you're getting your info Misfish, but there's no shortage of big deer in Michigan. With that many hunters (80% of them novice or slightly better), the deer have learned through the generations how to stay out of the crosshairs better than you think and grow to be of enviable size in any area of North America.

And it's not an actual holiday, but schools are closed and most non-hunting / non-tourism business owners and employees are out hunting.

The kill them and hang them up for display.

http://www.knutsonbuckpole.com/2012%20pages/buckpolepictures_2012.html

That's awesome!

Looks like they are weighing and measuring them. Likely giving out prizes for the biggest deer.

The same thing happens in Ontario at some hunt shops for Turkeys. Not sure about the deer hunt. That would be cool to go see though!

Edit.. I just looked at the contest winners on that website.

http://www.knutsonbuckpole.com/2012%20pages/2012DeerContestWinners.html

Biggest deer last year was 228 LBS 8 point. That's a decent sized deer!

I think the Ontario record for a whitetail is just under 300lbs. Don;t quote me.

Edited by N.A.W