Aqua-vu Cameras. Who's using them ?

Lunker777

Hey everyone

Im looking at buying a system for this coming ice season and wanted to know what everyone is using ?

I have thought about the micro systems and the "multi" system that you have to buy your own monitor for. Only issue there is finding a monitor save for cold temps.

Does anyone have the micro cameras ? how do you like them ?

Should I go with a color monitor or just black and white ?

Thanks

I have the old school Aqua Vu unit, full color with the lcd. It's a big heavy sucker but I love all the features. Looking at the Micro+ , it seems to have the same features as my big bulky thing. I may trade up this season. I would go full color. You don't realize that advantage until you have it.

Do you have any buddies that would let you borrow one to use a couple times before buying your own?

I used an older ZT model for a few seasons and it definitely made catching easier some days. But, I found it was only useful for panfish as it was far too easy for larger fish such as pike to get wrapped up in the camera wire which lead to quite a few lost fish. On a few occasions pike actually struck and tried eating the perch pattern camera and it was common for the camera to get bumped or start swaying around due to pike sitting inches away trying to figure out what it was.

It was great for perch fishing and it was fun watching fish come in and strike, but the novelty wore off after a while and I'm far happier after switching to a flasher.

I purchased one of the micro units before they came out with the recording mode on them. I found it so useful, I purchased another one with the recording mode. A lot of time spent on new lakes, I simply send down the camera to get an underwater view of structure I'm looking to fish. It has been a great asset for the Kawartha Lakes in tracking down Crappie.

I would highly recommend getting this micro unit as it easily fits in your pocket, you can get 2 days of run time with it and with the record mode, you can review it on your monitor at home. The only downfall is: the screen is small and I have found in one instance fishing for Rainbow trout, I didn't notice fish holding in tight to the bank until after I reviewed it on the puter.

Bottom line: Yes it is a handy gadget to have in your arsenal, however, it would be the last necessity required to improve your fish catching abilities.

I have used a buddies ... well I should say, he used it and I got to watch as he caught 25 perch to my 3. All fish were TIGHT LIPPED and the only way to really know if there was a fish on your line was with a camera.

I mostly fish for perch on the ice, so I think it would be a great addition. I really like the compact features of the micro screeens but for the $$ , I think I would want a 7" display

Really... I want to find a LCD monitor suitable for negative temperatures and then buy just the camera system from Aqua-vu and set up my own display.

Coming full circle on this one. Bought one of the original Aqua Vu units and yes it was big and clunky, small screen, hard to see in the sun and I finally sold it off a few years ago. Boy do I miss it!!!!!

Have been looking at the new units and will be buying a smaller more portable unit this year

i have one of the other brand of cameras (fish tv, or something like that) and have tried it up here in the stained waters but the only time I could see the bottom was when it bounced off the rocks and they were within a foot or so of the rocks. to me, it wasn't worth the cost.

i have one of the other brand of cameras (fish tv, or something like that) and have tried it up here in the stained waters but the only time I could see the bottom was when it bounced off the rocks and they were within a foot or so of the rocks. to me, it wasn't worth the cost.

I used to have the aqua view srt camera, it was ok, but sold it for the marcum 8" color lcd camera. Wow what a difference.

I don't have too much experience with new pocket versions, the only gripe I would have with those would be the durability as well as keeping it infront of fish while fishing and of course battery life.

It would however be a good tool to have in addition to a larger camera to quickly find spots with specific characteristics such as vegetation and transition areas.

I have one (bigger Aqua-Vu; not micro) and it does help when fishing through the ice. My kids loved looking at the fish we couldn't catch... LOL. I have fished with the better units too but as long as you can shadow the display to see it in the sun it's all good. You just need to made an arm to sit over the hole to spin the camera around slow if the unit you buy doesn't come with one. The motorcycle battery I got for mine lasts a long time too in the cold.

Hey Lunker777 I started this post on one I bought a few months ago http://ontariofishingcommunity.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=71745

Haven't used it yet, but I should mention which I don't belive I did in my post was the whole unit it's self is light and has a carrying pouch. Check out the link I provided. Let us know what you end up with.

Have you held one? I did a bass pro and the cable mech. seems awfully light gauge. I'm careful with my stuff, but the smaller game boy sized units just seem to have the thinnest of wire and just dosent feel like

It could take much abuse. Maybe I'm wrong, and the easiest thing I could compare it to or put a parallel to it....12000 lbs winch or 7000 lbs. know what I mean. If you could hold one and you like it hey nice, but like I said, the wire just seemed to fragile for my liking.

With those micro units, how do you keep it from twisting and turning with such a small cable? Also, what abou battery life - how long can you possibly operate the thing with such a limited battery size?

I would strongly suggest the larger version if you plan on actually using it while fishing stationary for those 2 reasons stated. It seems like it's only good for drilling a hole and quickly dropping it down to see structure and if any fish are present.....

Edited by Chotchkies House

That's a good way of putting it to use Ron! Home Inspectors could use it. I'm not tryin to say the thicker sheeted wire would be any better, but just holding it seems awful flimsy. I'd think if you were going out with the most minimal of gear and weight was an issue, well then yeah go for the pocket units. The one I've got weighs less than a 15 pack I'd say. Lol. Would you rather be t-boned in a hummer or a chevette lol

The real good point here is battery life. With lithium ion you lose 1/8 of your charge per year, especially in winter conditions. It estimates it at max 8 hrs runtime. Likely, unless you're huddled in your hut next to the heater, it will be more like 4-6 from cold weather. Next year that's 3-5, and so on. You can hook it to an external source, so maybe a small battery pack plus micro camera would still be a lot less luggage than the big girl.

I really like the big one, but it is a heavy bulky sucker. No screen probs, I got the deluxe with the screencovers and the lcd you have full control of. On REAL sunny days you gotta stick your face right in there, otherwise it's good. Amazing in my portable hut, we call it "the video game" and really enjoy watching all the fish not bite our baits. Lol