Sebile lures….any good?

limeyangler

Like any other presentation Limey, a lure is only as good as the rest of the formula. What was the formula Al Linder always quoted? Presentation, Population, Location.

I personally don't think I've tried one. I strongly believe using a brand you have confidence in is important. It seems that when I have confidence in a presentation I catch more. I think one concentrates more. Anyone agree? Something I like to do also is look on the box or whatever on a new lure, first time or not and read it if there are instructions. My go to brand is Rappala. The tips on these packages are important. Tuning instructions to tying tips. Some Rappala's recommend not to use terminal tackle some don't mention this. Some mention loop knots should be used some no knots are mentioned.

I'd like to try one but I need another lure like I need another hole in my head.

I'll probably pick one up now, thanks a lot, I bet they aren't cheap!!!!!!

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Like any other presentation Limey, a lure is only as good as the rest of the formula. What was the formula Al Linder always quoted? Presentation, Population, Location.

I personally don't think I've tried one. I strongly believe using a brand you have confidence in is important. It seems that when I have confidence in a presentation I catch more. I think one concentrates more. Anyone agree? Something I like to do also is look on the box or whatever on a new lure, first time or not and read it if there are instructions. My go to brand is Rappala. The tips on these packages are important. Tuning instructions to tying tips. Some Rappala's recommend not to use terminal tackle some don't mention this. Some mention loop knots should be used some no knots are mentioned.

I'd like to try one but I need another lure like I need another hole in my head.

I'll probably pick one up now, thanks a lot, I bet they aren't cheap!!!!!!

I hear what you are saying about confidence….the only problem is i'm not much of a lure fisherman and don't use them often… jig 'n' minnow man. Just looking to expand my collection for an upcoming trip to the Caribbean.

I've used a couple and thought they were pretty decent lures for bass and pickeral. They definitely have some of the more interesting designs for lures out there. They are in the big leagues now as Rapala owns them, so hopefully they come down in price.

Yup….some nice patterns for sure….

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has used these, they look nice but the price tag better mean fish jump in the boat/on shore.

Anyone have any experience with them?

Wow, 18 beans, each. Be careful, that's a days pay for some down there, probably more in some places. It would be like wearing a Rolex in a market in town. I might not take one. Remember to wash all your stuff after it sees salt water. I always bring some hardware I don't use any longer and give it to the locals fishing, also an old breakdown combo to leave. They appreciate any non rusty hook, give them a nice shiny lure and they will truly thank you. You wouldn't believe what they have to use, it's sad. And if you throw anything back it's a sin to them. Remember they are fishing to feed their families, not sport. Be respectful of that and all will be well.

Where are you going? I've fished the Caribbean, Mexico and Costa Rica for years, local cops make up fishing laws and want a cash payment on the spot, as they once did in Costa Rica, México, Cuba and the D.R.

PM me and I may be able to share my experiences with you, good and bad. You ain't in Kansas anymore Dorothy.

Thanks for the advice…. i grew up by the sea in England and my dad is from Grenada so i am well versed in saltwater angling and Caribbean/ culture/ and travel safety considerations. Why i am posting this is because i was never much of a lure fisherman, but having moved to Canada changed that somewhat and have the confidence you talk about to give it more of a try than i ever did on my previous trips there, hence stocking up on some different ones.

I will be heading to Antigua to my brother- in -laws house who was born and raised there. Like i said, i'm very knowledgeable about the species of the Leeward and Windward Isles of the Caribbean, and have had the privilege to shore and boat fish many of them from the tender age of 7, including Grenada, Barbados, Trinidad, Petit Martinique, British Virgin Islands, Antigua, and a few really small sand spits in and around the Grenadines.

I normally shore fish and this trip will be no exception. I use a technique of snagging baitfish that a local kid showed me on a pier in Grenada when i was 10 years old, and have modified to using sabiki rigs. Basically catch your bait and put it on your hook free line and WHAM! everything from white tip reef sharks, barracuda, snook, tarpon and more Trevali Jacks and Garfish than you can shake an Ugly Stick at! (never landed a Tarpon as i use very light tackle and they snap my line)

What happened to change my approach and try adopting new ways of catching the same species was for a number of reasons.

I normally travelled to these destinations in the summer or fall. On my third trip to Antigua 7 years ago we ended up going in February. The difference was that the baitfish at that time of year are not so readily to found close to shore, and after speaking to a local lobster spear fisherman found out it was because of the baitfish migratory/breeding patterns( I also ended up with 5 giant lobsters for $50 Eastern Caribbean, about C$20!!!!!). Now although i still managed to get some live bait it was time consuming and i spent more time trying lures. The only lure i was really familiar and confident with was topwater poppers which i used extensively for Sea Bass (stripers) in Devon England where i lived at that time. I had a blast finding, exploring and fishing some shallow, mangrove lined sea grass flats, casting top waters.

So i am preparing to get a few more crank baits etc….as i have used them here and feel better about how and where to try 'em in the event that the baitfish are scarce again. Not interested in deep sea charters, and won't have time to hire anyone for inshore charter, will only have a couple of days to go back to 4 or 5 really nice shore marks i discovered over the last decade or so that i have been visiting the place.

Cant wait to take some gopro footage while snorkelling! There are also a lot of Pompano on the sandy beach that will take pieces of crushed sea snail from your hands, hoping to capture that on camera too!

Edited by limeyangler

Casting spoons are your best friend. Second is rattle traps both can be cast behind/along the surf line parallel to shore and ripped back in. I also found mushing up some banana makes a great way to attract baitfish to a sabrinka rig. Most of the locals will be thrilled with tackle as basic as a jig head and a few skirts. I usually bring a dozen lures that I don't fish anymore for one reason or another and hand them out to people who are nice and fishing near me.

Art

Casting spoons are your best friend. Second is rattle traps both can be cast behind/along the surf line parallel to shore and ripped back in. I also found mushing up some banana makes a great way to attract baitfish to a sabrinka rig. Most of the locals will be thrilled with tackle as basic as a jig head and a few skirts. I usually bring a dozen lures that I don't fish anymore for one reason or another and hand them out to people who are nice and fishing near me.

Art

Thanks Art. I have got a couple on the go now, revisiting my Little cleo collection too. I got a couple more lipless cranks the other day to add to ones i already had and am looking at topwater poppers and Heddon style walk the dog typo lures. Do you think spinner baits/ mepps spinners will work?…..i know the pike love 'em and can't help think of barracuda as the hammer handles of the area i fish…….THEY EVEN SMELL SIMILAR TO PIKE!

The only people i met while out fishing were a retired airline pilot and a guide and his client, both fly fishing , needless to say i will not be handing out any free lures to them.

Edited by limeyangler

Steal some shrimp from the food tables, all you ever need, lol.

I will Bill…..lol…thanks for the tip. Actually last time i was there i took a jungle/mangrove trek along the coast and ended up on a shoreline with a reef close up……TWO PERMIT FISH rooting for crabs not more than a stone throw from me….needless to say nothing i had in my arsenal interested them….a shrimp bait might have been the ticket given their preferred forage.

The casting spoons I am chucking are between 1 and 3 OZ from a 9FT 4 piece surf rod and a diawa lexa reel. The rod is from here http://www.charkbait.com/cs/csrods-Travel-Rods.htm it is called Toro Tamer Surf Explorer 25 to 30 lb conventional.

It fits in my suitcase but can easily be hand carried. I can get it out a good 80 to 100 yards with a shockleader for surf casting and for lesser lures I use a 3 piece breakdown rod with a calcutta 300. Both with 65 lb braid. The best part with the 2 rods is you can make someone elses day when you hand another guest a rod so they can fish too. I also carry 300yds of extra braid because I have been spooled a few times over the years even with the 22lb drag system on the lexa reel.

Art

Limeyangler,

With your southern experience we should be asking you the questions. As in why do I always seem to attract the attention of the local crooked constabulary? Maybe it's my swarthy good looks and my Mediterranean completion?

I think any of the hardware you have mentioned will do the job. I hope the extra weight charge from the airline isn't too high. In was on the south coast of England and watched local pier fish sometime ago. Amazing the difference in tackle and technique I saw in the UK.

JD