Cold Weather Gear / Clothing Recommendations

T-Bone

Between birthday, holidays, and a couple gift cards earned though credit card points I've stocked-up some funds to upgrade my cold weather gear this fall in preparation for an active outdoor winter.

With the ice fisherman on this board and a handful of active posters that live pretty far north I figured this group would know a thing or two about what cold weather gear / clothing is best. Primary application would be winter camping, trail hiking, and the odd ice fishing excursion.

I'm specifically looking for brand / model recommendations on base layer and fleece layer, but all are welcome. Any insights you can provide on your proven cold weather clothing "system" are appreciated also.

Thanks in advance for your insights...

cold weather gear varies greatly with activity level you plan on doing -- a sedentary activity like ice fishing requires different clothing than an active one like hiking.

start with a good breathable base layer, it's propably the most important one. i like the under armour stuff myself

I love the Woolpower stuff. Its well made and easy machine washing and drying. It is Mil Spec for some outfits. It also doesn't "hold the stink" like some "performance fabrics" can.

I use it for a base layer and mid if it is really cold or if I am going to be stationary.

A good wicking base layer and nothing under your shell made with Cotton is essential.

http://www.canadianoutdoorequipment.com/store/woolpower-ostersund.html

Cheers,

Mark

Under armour!!!!

I've got a balaclava.... Fleece neck gaitor... And waterproof gloves... All high quality... All really warm.... The other night I was fishing in -3 temps in the boat... My 30mph run back in I was plenty warm...

Also Helly Henson heavy weight 1 piece thermal layer.... Oh baby they are warm...

I don't care what ya say, you cant beat wool. Period!

I've watched buddies freeze their nuts off in their under armour, while I was toasty warm in wool. Its proven, can't beat it imo.

I do like the redhead socks. Great product!!

S.

Edited by Sinker

I don't care what ya say, you cant beat wool. Period!

I've watched buddies freeze their nuts off in their under armour, while I was toasty warm in wool. Its proven, can't beat it imo.

I do like the redhead socks. Great product!!

S.

Wool is good...

But there is something to be said for overall performance instead of just warmth...

I own mittens (wool/leather) that are the cats meow in regards to warmth and comfort... But I'm not able to function with them on so they aren't good for certain applications...

Edited by Mike Rousseau

Wool is great if you have something to break the wind with over top of it. I wear wool sweaters and plaid coats often in the winter and will usually wear a summer rain coat over top to break wind.

For ice fishing, i highly reccomend bibs/overalls as opposed to waist height snowpants. And if youre interested in purchasing a floater suit spend the extra money and get a two piece!!!

It's all about the layers and funny thing I'm 49 and have only once every really got wet ice fishing that I wished I had fully waterproof clothing.

When I think about it pretty much all my stuff has come out of Marks and has been purchased mostly in the North Bay store over the years

Base layer is Marks Driwear - great product and much less than big sports brands

Next layer depends on weather - either light lounge pants and long sleeve or fleece top and bottoms (Nothing fancy)

I will wear a second fleece/waterproof hoody that I can walk out with and keep the sweat down if it's not too cold out

Pants - Marks thermal bibs that have zippered front and sides. All about not sweating on the way out

Coat - Full 3/4 Marks Down Parka (snow mobile model). It's a little lighter than a traditional parka and has easy access zippers up the side to vent (or sit on a snow mobile)

Boots are single most important items in my opinion. Tried many >> Only wear Baffin Titans now with a good add on cleat system from Canadian Tire

forgot to add, for wool socks check out Canadian Tire in or around the sports section. They sell 2 pairs of mid weight merino wool socks for around $12. These things are great, they never get pulled down around your ankles walking too!

Wick-away first layer, next fleece and/or wool insulation layer(s), last waterproof and windproof layer. You lose heat from your head and neck so the neck gaiter -balaclava is good. Small of the back is important. High bib pants that cover lower back are good. I prefer mitts to gloves unless dexterity is needed -like right hand for hunting. Feet are also importatnt. Good quality rubber boots with felt or similar lining with thick insulated soles, even extra insoles. I pack a down vest for extra back-up.

I guess you get the idea about everyone saying "layers" the fist couple layers are the most important . You have to keep the sweat off of you so some good wicking base layers are essential , once you start

to sweat and get damp/cold you are done ! Stay away from cotton base layers at all costs as well. Wool is good over top of your base layer (wool still insulates when wet) I find that Mountain Equipment Co-Op has some good stuff for a good price .

I find that Mountain Equipment Co-Op has some good stuff for a good price .

When I lived in Toronto I bought nearly all my outdoor gear from them. Everything they sell is top quality stuff...IMO...and I'm still using it years later.

Feet; T-max socks for base then 100% pure virgin wool,Baffin titans.

Lower; base 3`s then mtp`s. 27oz 100% wool pants. 200 gran gore tex winter pants.

Upper. Base 3 then mtp. Wool blend shirt(wool blend give better mobility) 200 gram gore tex sled coat.

Extreme cold.

Feet, Add liner sock.

Lower.Change pants to Artic weight carhartt bib pants.

Upper. Add Down filled freezer jacket.