Islander steelheader personal spin times and startup

buick14

Hey guys

I have an islander steelheader, very low hours, I simple green'd the bearings and put 1 drop of oil in each bearings. I get a 4.5-5.5 minute free spool on it. I put an elastic band (simple avg size, not a broccoli sized band) on the end of the line on a 13' rod to see if it would get this puppy moving, and it did. It was VERY slow and gradual, without me quivering the rod. Lol sadly the kingpin r2 spins longer, and starts up a little better......but I was really impressed to be honest.

Anybody ever wasted time like me and timed their free spool and checked the startup weights needed on a Islander steelheader?....

Yup. My startup with the elastic band excited me. Was curious as some ppl get 2mns out of spin and apparently over 10mns.....as a bearing freak, that's exciting to me!

Oh and ps, I am envious of your frogwater, you can't imagine. Beauty.

Edited by buick14

If it fishes, it's good enough.

I can't bring myself to participate in the centerpin fashion show. My 5 year old SST3 still starts up fine, and as long as it continues to do that I'll keep using it.

Can't imagine what use timing a pin has...if it freespools on it's own for ten minutes all you are going to accomplish is a birdsnest.

I am an old school floater , I was taught to trot the float, it should be moving a somewhat slower than the surface current. Extended spin times are of no consquence to me as I for the most part are checking the advance of my float. However Wallace casting a bit of spin resistance might be a good thing, kinda like the anti backlash on a bait casting reel :whistling:

Lol guess I shoildnt get drunk and time my islander then. Was just curious is all as ive seen the discussionbefore. And btw kemper, I didnt think an islandsr was a flash reel, I thoufht the sst3 was in the same class?....and if it aint broke why would you fix or change it? Lol im actually pretty new to the pin. But billm having a frogwater is soo nice. I can appreciate the beauty that is within reels and rods, and until lately have started to notice how sweet some pins are.

So at the end of.the day, ppl say islander startup is possibly slow. So, I did the spin test just cause and the elastic band startup, and said "hey, thats cool it started on the elastic band...slow in the froggy stuff startup cant be that bad!:? But because I dont have a life, naturally I decided to do this. And for a relatively affordable pin reel id say that sounds "a" ok to me....but what do I know. I was hoping somebody would have had a abec 3 and abec 7 model to see if its truely worth spending the extra $$$ on the 7's. Personal experiences with particular reels vary, so i guess comparison wouldnt really be relavant in the end...

Edited by buick14

islander was designed as a west coast reel and a lot of guys still prefer bushing over the bearings, islander and milner bushing pins are very popular....the great lakes crowd seems to be more concerned over fancy bearings, light weight, startup and spinning speeds, which makes sense, smaller flows and much lighter terminal tackle involved

at the end of the day, some guys are minimalists, some guys are techies and gear hounds, whatever floats your boat, stop watch your reel all you want lol.....sounds like the OP got a good reel, sounds like good spin time...but staffman, sounds like you had bad bearings, maybe greased up? did you contact islander? I hear they have great customer service

Even if it,s an okuma. Which has served me well since day one.LOL

004-Copy_zps3cec58ba.jpg

That actually looks like a pretty sweet setup misfish.....didnt u fairly recently tame a monster chinny on that combo?!....I especially like the chrome accent in that pic....mines coming soon I hope.....