Asian carp have reproduced in Great Lakes !!! Not good news

fishindevil

Ya for sure and it's not even the ones they are really worried about its the silver and big head carp that will decimate everything !!!! The clock is ticking for sure and it's going to happen no doubt about it.... A 7 billion dollar fishing industry will crash .... Imagine they will spread fast too, just like the gobies did but these carp do incredible damage and will displace everything !!!!! There is sections of rivers in some states where there are only Asian carp for 20 miles of river and not any other fish at all !!!!!! They powers that be don't seem to be taking this as serious as they should be ..... It's not crying wolf it's the real thing and it's gonna be too late very soon ....

Gallie, funny that you'd mention kings... because last I checked... they're not quite native either now are they. The day I can't catch bass, pike, walleye, muskie or anything native... then I'll go on a rampage.

their not native but they dont negatively affect anything, if anything they benefit anything in a river in fall and help the trout out in the spring

While I don't have anything against browns, rainbows or the salmons... they just aren't the first fish I'd go on a rampage for... simply due to them being introduced.

Common carp on the other hand... dirty introduced/invasive buggers.

convince the trout fisherman that roe from this fish would work to catch bows....

First off that's great :clapping: .

But in all honesty I think while obviously not good if they get in, I doubt it'll be the abolute disaster people are predicting. Zebra mussles and gobies and cormorants were supposed to destroy the great lakes. And with all these invasives our fisheries are still strong. Sure there have been impacts, but our native species have adapted.

Part of the reason I suspect they won't overtake the lakes is lack of food. Their primary food is phtyoplankton and while certain areas are bad and would become hotspots (western Erie), as a whole plankton populations in the lakes are low, and have been dropping. You can thank the mussels and gobies for that - they're concentrating production in the benthos where it wouldn't be available to filterfeeding carp. Maybe the mussles and gobies are excatly what'll keep them down?

Also what do you think the odds are they found the first and only ones in a population. They've likely already been around for years, most invasives have been before they're recognized.

Edited by timmeh

The Sandusky river connects to Sandusky bay which connects to Lake Erie on the western end of Cedar Point amusement park. There are already vast quantities of other species of carp in Sandusky bay, and since it and the river are spawning areas for walleye, smallmouth, pike, and other more desirable species it's not a good thing.

They will decimate the Kawarthas and all other warm water weedy lakes.

They will take over and push out the other species

Can't boat with any speed. They are dangerous when they jump.

Will be selling by cottage on Pigeon once they come in, before property values plummet

it's the bighead carp that are the jumpers, it's the grass carp that have been found reproducing in Lake Erie, the bigheads are coming though

not that the Kawarthas are anywhere close to pristine anymore (with common carp and pike etc in there), it maybe worthwhile closing off the Trent Severn Waterway's access to G Bay and Lake O, at least to delay the invasions?

fishing in southern and central Ontario will likely be a lot different in the next 10 years

it's the bighead carp that are the jumpers, it's the grass carp that have been found reproducing in Lake Erie, the bigheads are coming though

not that the Kawarthas are anywhere close to pristine anymore (with common carp and pike etc in there), it maybe worthwhile closing off the Trent Severn Waterway's access to G Bay and Lake O, at least to delay the invasions?

fishing in southern and central Ontario will likely be a lot different in the next 10 years

it's the silvers that are the jumpers...

Gallie, funny that you'd mention kings... because last I checked... they're not quite native either now are they. The day I can't catch bass, pike, walleye, muskie or anything native... then I'll go on a rampage.

Spoken like someone who has never had a 30 lber screaming drag in 300 ft of water, rainbows cohos and browns are too small atlantics are near non existent what else would i rig for down there. Trust me if i couldnt fish pike in ontario killpage isnt the word i would use... It would be something of unimaginable scale. I understand kings were introduced but it was to control the alewives and became and excellent fishery unto itself. These fish bring pain and emptyness and no foreseeable benefits for anyone anywhere.

Lastly i enjoy fishing common carp in my backyard canal off simcoe when nothing else is open. Because, why not thats why, fishin is fishin

I hope you see where im coming from my friend

catch a 20lbs brown in less than 20' of water on spring tackle - flat lining - and tell me its "too small".

more fun than any 30lbs king i've caught.....

kings just peel like hell, you wait for them to finish and reel them in, then if the water isn't too warm, you'll get one last ditch effort when they get to the boat....then they float.

We had a fish this year take 1000 ft of 65 lb braid without stopping or slowing or turning and no amount of drag or thumbs would slow it down. Ever had a brown do that? My point wasnt to make the other fish seem lesser but to make kings seem like the legitimate top three fighting fish in ontario that they are. Which they are hands down