Ammunition shortages?

Rattletrap2

I know this is a predominantly fishing site, but I also know a lot of you folks are hunters or shooters as well.

When I was in Michigan this past August, I noticed all of the retailers from your Walmarts and such to the biggies like Cabela's were experiencing drastic shortages of ammunition on their shelves. They all had signs posted explaining that some ammunition was in short supply and that limits were being imposed on these items.

I never had a chance to inquire with them about this and have since noticed similar signs here at home. This seems to affect all brands.

Anyone know the reason for this?

Thanks

Really? Is this a fact? I was kinda thinking that back in the summer! The first that crossed my mind was "do these folks know something I don't"? lol

Seems like companies such as Winchester, Federal, and the like would know there business and not run short....unless circumstances caught them off guard. It seemed odd that even CTC was still experiencing shortages at the end of October though.

Weird!

If this is really the case, then why the shortage of .22 caliber? Can't possibly imagine anyone trying to hold down the fort with a 22! lol

Edited by Rattletrap2

The shop I buy ammo in told me I might not be able to get my Cotote caliber for a while. Maybe as long as a year.

So I bought his last 3 boxes.

Don't know if I got duped or not. But I have ammo for a year.

I've heard a few reasons for the shortage. There was a big discussion about changing some gun laws. So as I understand, some people started to stock pile.

So rounds like my Coyote gun (.222) may not be available for a little while. I'm sure the ammunition companies make a mint on NATO rounds. Not rare Preditor rounds.

Yeah, Ammo is getting scarce!

But this morning I lucked out and was able to buy two boxes of 30-06.

I placed the boxes on the front seat and headed back home, on the way I stopped at a gas station where a drop-dead gorgeous blonde in a short skirt was filling up her car at the next pump.
She glanced at the two boxes of ammo, bent over and leaned in my passenger window, and said in a sexy voice, “I’m a big believer in barter, big fella. Would you be interested in trading sex for ammo?”
I thought for a few seconds and asked,
“What kind of ammo ‘ya got?”

The ammo shortage was due to the Obama scare of gun control so the American citizens went and purchased many guns that were semi autos and handguns etc. The ammo demand followed as well as Homeland Security purchasing a great deal. I ordered a gun this past spring from Canadian Tire and was told then that gun manufacturers are way behind due to the demand in the USA. I was just recently in at Gander Mountain (approximately 3 weeks ago) and they seem to have gotten in some ammo lately and the shelves are again beginning to look stocked. All the rounds from shotgun to 22's to magnum rifle shells. Prices do not seem to be any cheaper unless you head further south then the border states.

Hope this is of help.

Regards,
Sam

Yeah, Ammo is getting scarce!

But this morning I lucked out and was able to buy two boxes of 30-06.

I placed the boxes on the front seat and headed back home, on the way I stopped at a gas station where a drop-dead gorgeous blonde in a short skirt was filling up her car at the next pump.

She glanced at the two boxes of ammo, bent over and leaned in my passenger window, and said in a sexy voice, Im a big believer in barter, big fella. Would you be interested in trading sex for ammo?

I thought for a few seconds and asked,

What kind of ammo ya got?

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Now that's funny!!

LMAO! Well Rattle, just my opinion, but when you see on some websites here that Obama is going to take your guns constantly?

I get my weekly newspaper and there are 3 ads for stores that sell guns, but only one or two or grocery stores?

Creating panic seems to be a very effective sales tool, some one makes a post on a website that they couldn't find ammo for their gun and the stores that sell ammo end up packed with people buying ammo or guns.

I am sure it is just a coincidence that the prices of both keep rising? LOL You have to wonder how many of the posts are created by employees of gun and ammo companies? It does create job security?

The price of ammo is going up because of demand. The demand is because people want to buy it before it goes up. The bulk buy is what is effecting this. I buy rounds usually 6000 at a time to save money per round. The Obama scare is making imported rounds harder to get so people are hording them like the .223 and any variety of 7.62 is murder. I am changing the caliper of one of my rifles from 7.62x25 to a 9mm just because I can't find miliary rounds and the civilian rounds are up to .50 cents each IF you can find them. The price of even the common rounds has driven a lot of people to reload which has caused a shortage of primers and powders in my area.

Art