Reel lure failures

ubfishin

Hey fellow anglers

I'm new on here i'm a non-boater who loves to fish for the bass. I build cars all day so hunting for a lunker from shore is my therapy.

Just wanted to share with you a couple of heads ups on some product failures that I have experienced this past season.

1. BPS Carbonlite blew out the transmission on probably what was my heaviest bucketmouth to date in the pads. Set the hook reeled like a mad man and then POW!!!! handle is turning but the spool's not. Tried to catch up with it by hand bombing......too late she was gone :dunno:

So off to BPS I go to return both cuz of coarse I bought 2 of them.....should have never strayed away from my shimano :wallbash:

2.Strike King crankbaits series 4 and 4s leakers and non tunable right out of the pkg. I have 7 so far and still half dozen or so still in the pkg. Don't get me wrong these baits produce but seem the quality is suffering.

Tried to take them back to the store no replacements offered. I was told to contact Strike King wich I have with no replies.

Maybe I should drop KVD a line since his name is all over that product.

well enough for now

nice bass

warrantys are great and all but they are of little consolation if and when you lose your personal best or are 3 hours from home on a fishing trip when the equipment failure occurs. that's why i'd rather go with one of the bigger names and higher priced models, abu, shimano, daiwa.. not that they don't fail but it seems people have far less issue with them.

Edited by Raf

Here's the answer "who makes bps reels" right from the horses mouth (horrible grammar):

.:

Bass Pro reels are made by a Company named OEM Manufacturing that outsources its production to many different companies . In the cases of contracted fishing reels for other companies they are now being made in either China or Korea . OEM manufactures anywhere from 30-75% of the worlds reels in a given year . The similarities to other reel companies are the reason for the incorrect answers to this question . When OEM is in manufacturing mode of particular reels the many different companies using OEM will have their reels run afterwards with similarities to save money by not making OEM to retool all of their machinery to produce them . Bass Pro uses this money saving tactic better than all the other reel companies out their . They then pass some of the savings off to us. Thats why Bass Pro can sell very similar looking reels to others with as good or better insides to others for lower prices . OEM manufactures reels for Shakespear ( who owns Pflueger and gets some royalties for Bass Pro exclusive Pflueger reels ) , Bass Pro , some of Cabelas , Browning ( who is being sold thru Bass Pro for royalties) , Pinnacle , Southbend , and who knows how many others and how many parts they make for other manufactures who do most of their own production . The thing about these similar reels they are all done by the specs of the different reel companies . Those specs are better in some than in others . Bass Pro gets high end bearings and manufacturing tolerances for even less than others do for a lesser model because of their volume is so much higher than others . Again they do pass some these savings on to us . And for my money I can't help myself from grabbing up some that savings from time to time . Hope that helps you out in some way . Good luck and tight lines .

http://answers.basspro.com/answers/2010/product/102287/bass-pro-shops-bass-pro-shops-pro-qualifier-baitcast-reels-questions-answers/questions.htm

Edited by Steve

Here's the answer "who makes bps reels" right from the horses mouth (horrible grammar):

.:

Bass Pro reels are made by a Company named OEM Manufacturing that outsources its production to many different companies . In the cases of contracted fishing reels for other companies they are now being made in either China or Korea . OEM manufactures anywhere from 30-75% of the worlds reels in a given year . The similarities to other reel companies are the reason for the incorrect answers to this question . When OEM is in manufacturing mode of particular reels the many different companies using OEM will have their reels run afterwards with similarities to save money by not making OEM to retool all of their machinery to produce them . Bass Pro uses this money saving tactic better than all the other reel companies out their . They then pass some of the savings off to us. Thats why Bass Pro can sell very similar looking reels to others with as good or better insides to others for lower prices . OEM manufactures reels for Shakespear ( who owns Pflueger and gets some royalties for Bass Pro exclusive Pflueger reels ) , Bass Pro , some of Cabelas , Browning ( who is being sold thru Bass Pro for royalties) , Pinnacle , Southbend , and who knows how many others and how many parts they make for other manufactures who do most of their own production . The thing about these similar reels they are all done by the specs of the different reel companies . Those specs are better in some than in others . Bass Pro gets high end bearings and manufacturing tolerances for even less than others do for a lesser model because of their volume is so much higher than others . Again they do pass some these savings on to us . And for my money I can't help myself from grabbing up some that savings from time to time . Hope that helps you out in some way . Good luck and tight lines .

http://answers.basspro.com/answers/2010/product/102287/bass-pro-shops-bass-pro-shops-pro-qualifier-baitcast-reels-questions-answers/questions.htm

Steve, I've got to say that your posts are always relevant. Thanks.

I have had a Johnny Morris baitcast reel and I got it the first year bass pro in Toronto opened and I have put hundreds of hours on it and has been in my bass arsenal since and had been awesome till about 3 weeks ago when the reel basically started to release on its own and had trouble engaging the spool !!!!! So I guess I got a good one as its been flawless till now !!! Yes it's a lot heavier than my curados. And my chronarchs but it's done the job for years and all I have ever done is oil it and clean it and that's all !!!! Would I buy another one no I would not as it's not as light as my other ones but it sure doesn't owe me any money and I really think it's a simple fix and will attempt to get it fixed over the winter and if so I will use it as a secondary reel from now on and replace it with another shimano of course !!!!! Tight-lines

Everything I have ever purchased from Okuma has self-destructed almost immediately.

Never again.

Agreed. The rods gave me a sour taste as well starting with the carbon c3......inferior rods and reels IMO, not to say quality can't change, maybe things are diff now, but I'm not going there anytime soon.

That's also too bad about the carbon lite, some ppl really like its performance, glad I didn't pop out to buy a few.

Did u take it apart?

Everything I have ever purchased from Okuma has self-destructed almost immediately.

Never again.

Almost all of my salmon trolling gear including wire dipsey rods and reels are Okuma. Going close to 10 years strong without a failure. That being said, I have no experience with their spinning gear.

If they can make their trolling gear stand up to the punishment of Lake Ontario salmon fishing, I'm surprized they dont put that same quality into their other gear. I guess I'll stick to shimano for spinning stuff.

and with Okuma you get what you pay for.

you pay sub average price, you get sub average quality.

when i worked at the tackle shop and saw folks looking closely at an okuma, i simply pointed to the closest daiwa.

that reins true whether talking an open face trolling reel or spinning reel.

low end or mid end, daiwa > okuma in every instance.

Almost all of my salmon trolling gear including wire dipsey rods and reels are Okuma. Going close to 10 years strong without a failure. That being said, I have no experience with their spinning gear.

If they can make their trolling gear stand up to the punishment of Lake Ontario salmon fishing, I'm surprized they dont put that same quality into their other gear. I guess I'll stick to shimano for spinning stuff.

Salmon gear isn't very complicated. Probably why the Daiwa Sealines haven't changed much since the early 80's. I run a pair of Okuma Convectors on my dipsy setups as well, no complaints.. However, I don't beat on them I do my other fishing gear.

Edited by BillM