Schools Today

mbac31

Im no teacher by any means but where the hell has our school system gone. I have raised both my kids in an outdoor enviroment.

My daughter hunts, fishes and helps me on ocasions with my home building business. She is olny five and we have taught her to read and write but also teaching her real life. this is how i was raised.

I grew up with real life rules, you screwed up in school you got called out. You got to know failure and if bad enough you were kept behind. You sucked it up and became a better person for it.

Today they teach kids that failure is acceptable. What a freekin joke. Heres our dilema. My Daughter tends to do alot of stuff on her own as the other kids are so far behind her its unreal. They are teaching her basic shapes and colors. She allready knows all this stuff, christ she knows which colors to mix to make other colors.

We are wondering if we should ask the board to let her skip a grade or two. I had to do it and i seem to have turned out fine. Who ever said that parenting was easy. Lol

The only problem the youngster will find is "fitting in" with the rest of the class average age. We had about 8 kids in our class that skipped grade 4. No effort for the learning curve, just you didn't belong becuase of age. I'd be more tempted to give her something she can handle out of school to keep her interested.

As a high school teacher, I can't say I disagree with your points. But you present what I find to be an unfortunate exception these days -- good parenting.

It's probably just as cliche for the teacher to point the blame on the parents as it is for the parents to point to the teacher, but I can only influence a student for 75 minutes of the day (as well as through the extra curricular activities that I run). After that, it's out of my hands.

Keep up the great work, dad. Administrators tell us that parents send us their "very best" to school each day (referring to their kids). Be it bold to say, I question that notion... especially when mom comes in on parent-teacher interview day with her kid sitting beside them, headphones in their ears, laughing when the threat of taking away their video games is proposed.

Our little man is only 6 months old and I'm already dreading sending him to school as I plan on raising him "old school" just like you did with your daughter. Kids should definitely be taught the principals of winning and losing or passing and failing. If you raise children with the mindset that they're winners or successful even if they haven't put fourth a decent effort you'll end up with a bunch of young adults ready to enter the workforce expecting the real world to be all fun and games as they haven't been forced to work hard to win or pass. Not only this, but you're teaching those kids who do try hard that it's pointless giving it your all as you're a winner either way.

I call it the pussyfication of society and it's the result of too many bleeding hearts worrying about little Jimmy getting his feelings hurt.

I call it the pussyfication of society and it's the result of too many bleeding hearts worrying about little Jimmy getting his feelings hurt.

You got that right :excl: Everyone needs to face reality, and I don't mean reality shows. Life is mean and unless you strive to get ahead, the tiger is going to eat you.

Have her tested for giftedness. Speak to the schools SERT (Special Education Resource Teacher), or see your family Doctor and find a source to have her tested for giftedness at your own expense. If she is gifted, put her in a gifted program, she will be challenged, sounds like that is what she needs.

'Main stream' teachers find it very challenging to educated the lowest in their class, and often the highest ones don't get the attention that you would like.

Entropy

I wish to carry on the rant. When my 2 daughters came home from school & stated that spelling doesn't count - I almost lost it!! Where did the education system go? That was 25 years ago. Our education system is a flop! Thank fully our daughters have turned out to be well adjusted, educated ladies with children of their own & well paying occupations. I have to give thanx to mostly their mother & a little bit of my guidance. By the way they both enjoy the outdoors, fishing, camping, sitting by the campfire & gazing at the stars. I think that was my donation to their upbringing. Imagine this - at age 12 I had them walking out on Lake Eris for an afternoon of perchin! Woo Hoo!

I'd like to add my 2 cents here. I think that a lot of you guys understand the one side of the argument, and I'm not saying that you're wrong (completely). Kids definitely need to be told what is right and wrong with some subjects, if you look at a subject like math, there is a right answer and a wrong answer, but then look at a subject like phys ed, the arts, even geography and you need to know how to solve problems creatively, lead and experiment. I think that a lot of adults are still looking at the education system as though it still needs to prepare kids for the same jobs they were trying to get back then, the market has changed, a good job at one point was to be a secretary, they're still around sure, but back then all you needed to know to land a good job was to read, write, and use a computer. Now that most of the better jobs are in the industries that focus on information employers are looking for creative, enthusiastic and willing bodies, a degree doesn't make as much of an impression as it once did. I'm not saying that the education system isn't broken, because it is, but I don't think that we should be telling children that there is one path that they can take to make their life for them, I think that since the end of the industrial age schools haven't adequately prepared kids at all. Things need to change, but lets not make these important decisions before first taking a closer look at the purpose of schools, the history and what ACTUALLY happens inside these buildings. JMO, feel free to pick the meat off my bones if you wish.

This show might help older people understand what Chris K is talking about.

The whole weeks series was actually very informative especially if you understand that anyone can google/spell check virtually all math, grammar and spelling challenges. Education has to be much more than memorizing easily accessible information