2wd pickup at boat ramps

tomkat

I tow with 2wd Sierra a 20.5 bassboat never had a problem.

4wd are in constant need of brakes, suspension parts wheel bearings, universal joints. Just a lot more maintenance cost.

Maybe if you're talking about the big 2500 series trucks with the diesels, but a 1500 4x4 doesn't require any more maintenance then a 2wd model...

First - Glad to see you decided on a 4x4. Can't say for sure how many times it has saved my butt but can tell you of all the times I wish I had it when I was driving a 2wd truck. When I went from a 4.3L S10 to a 5L 1500 the gas was only an extra $10 per week, a small insurance price for some piece of mind. I used to put patio slabs in the back of the S10 and bags of sand, ran winter tires and it all helped but not even close to what having a 4x4 will do for you.

Get the 4x4 and you won't have anything to worry about.

X2

After owning a few two wheel drive trucks years ago, and then driving more than my share of 4x4's I would NEVER go back to a 2WD.
Even in everyday winter driving it's handy. No spinning from a stop or struggling up inclines.
If you do a lot of boat launching I'd highly recommend a 4x4.

X2

Maybe if you're talking about the big 2500 series trucks with the diesels, but a 1500 4x4 doesn't require any more maintenance then a 2wd model...

I'd agree with that, never had much more to do then gas, oil tires and brakes about every 45-50K. Last set of brakes lasted 60K on the F150.

As said,that one time,pease of mind.Even local winter driving in your city or town,what a pleasure.No hill you can't climb with a steady foot. As I said earlier try a few not so nice ramps and see how that 2wd works when it's in the water and a steep incline.Not talking about 12/14' basic aluminum.I've had at least one 4x4 for the last 30 years and have two again as been my choice of vehicles for the last 20years.Good luck with your new investment..

I have a 4Runner where I can engage and disengage the 4x4 as required. Of all the times I forgot to engage 4x4 when pulling the boat out I find that I have never been able to pull the boat out in 2wd.

However, I would imagine though that partially deflating the rear tires would help with traction when in 2wd.

Of all the times I forgot to engage 4x4 when pulling the boat out I find that I have never been able to pull the boat out in 2wd.

That's odd that you can't pull your boat up a ramp in 2wd.

Is the boat too heavy for your vehicle or do the rear wheels just spin.

Edited by lew

Just had my 2wd sierra tires rotated at 70k. The brake pads are not half way yet.

So you will be on your 2nd set of brakes when I get my 1st set. And 4wd just get worst with age.

It is true you need to drive a little better with 2wd and you get little better mileage and a little maintenance.

I just don't go down the roads that need 4wd.

Glad you have decided to look at the 4X4 options.

Just bought a 2013 sierra because fo all of the incentives and 0% financing and dont regrett it at all. There are wicked deals out there right now if you look for them. I previousely had a 2004 F150 Lariat and it was a great truck for pulling and all around familly use. The only reason I got rid of it was because it was starting to cost a lot to keep it on the road and it had no rockers or cab corners left. It had 200K on it when I got rid of it.

The one weird thing I found is that my F150 sat about 2-4 inches higher than my new sierra (I even have the z71 off road package) which make it difficult to take the boat off of the hitch in my Garage. I had turn the portion of the hitch that holds the ball around and re install the ball to get the clearence I need to get my trailer jack to click into place. I plan on jacking it up a bit when the warranty runs out but for now, it works fine.

I personally have only had to use 4X4 at a ramp once but I fish the same bodies of water and launch in the same areas most of the time. The biggest issue I have come to see is the degree on incline on gravel or muddy launches. Other than that, I usually launch in 2wd.

You should take a look at the Bilstein 5100 series shock absorbers. They offer a 2.5" adjustable front shock for your coilover and a rear shock that will give you a couple inches.

To lift the front: http://www.bilsteinus.com/products/truck-off-road/5100-series-ride-height-adjustable/

and to bring the back up: http://www.bilsteinus.com/products/truck-off-road/5100-series-lifted-light-trucksuv/

Unless you've got a spring compressor you'll have to get the front shocks taken out and the springs switched between old and new shocks, but the rear you can do yourself with a jack and ratchet.

4wd are in constant need of brakes, suspension parts wheel bearings, universal joints. Just a lot more maintenance cost.

For anyone considering buying a 4x4, please do not listen to this as it is false information.

Just had my 2wd sierra tires rotated at 70k. The brake pads are not half way yet.

So you will be on your 2nd set of brakes when I get my 1st set. And 4wd just get worst with age.

Odd, my 4x4 ram (I use 4x4 a lot in the fall and winter for hunting/fishing and when roads have snow on them) has 71k and I just rotated the tires yesterday and they have tons of tread left. Brake pads on all 4 corners are less than half worn, bearings are tight, zero play in u-joints, and the suspension performs as new.

Edited by ch312

What most manufactures make and call a 4x4 is a joke but it's better than one wheel peal, w/limited slip. I've witnessed pick-ups that have to engage four wheel drive to walk up a slight incline on wet grass! My old Z71 was like that as well. I did own a nissan that I could drive in sand dunes and it was quite capable. All wheels provided traction. Not 2 corners, with limited slip engaging the other side once in a while which is the norm with most NA vehicles. Not much of a box though and horrible gas mileage... That being said if your going to purchase a truck to deal with toys it may as well be full size with 4 wheel drive. I also agree with others who said if it has unibody then it isn't a real truck!

It is true you need to drive a little better with 2wd and you get little better mileage and a little maintenance.

I just don't go down the roads that need 4wd.

Man, you gotta stop making stuff up, lol. I'm sure we'd all love to hear how your 2WD truck goes through brake pads half as quickly as a 4WD equipped truck. That doesn't make any sense.. As for the mileage? Wrong again.. You realize you have all the drivetrain losses a 4WD truck does as well right? Perhaps you think guys are driving around with 4WD engaged all the time?

Edited by BillM

I used to love plowing thru 4 ft powder drifts in the middle of lake nip in my 2wd tundra but was lucky if i could ever get going from a dead stop lol. And hard pack snow forget about...loved that truck but man i got stuck in some embarrassing places and limiting where you can go because you dont trust your truck to get you there really blows!! The explode tranny last summer was a blessing in disguise!

I have a 4wheel drive with 3.72 gears and 4 wheel E locker which tows a 3600 lb boat do you think gas milage was the deciding factor on my purchase??? It still gets an amazing 17 MPG but if you want to play you got to pay. I have had this truck in 2 ft of snow and ice on some hairy places with no one around to help me get unstuck but I have the right equipment to do the job. Buy what you can afford and buy what will do the job. If it needs 4x4 and the price is to high for a new one then get a used on. To buy a new truck that will not do the job is to buy a new truck that will not make you happy or worse not fulfill the job you want it to do.

Art

And if you guys think a 4wd drive will ever have less maintenance cost than a 2wd you in DREAMLAND.

Have you ever owned a 4x4 vehicle?

I have had both, and they are about the same. The 4x4 parts may be a little more money, but your not going to be stuck on a wet patch of grass in your 2wd truck. A 4x4 has heavier duty parts that last longer than a 2wd trucks parts as well.

S.

And if you guys think a 4wd drive will ever have less maintenance cost than a 2wd you in DREAMLAND.

Who said a 4x4 will have less maintenance compared to a 2wd truck? What we're saying is that the maintenance required for a 4x4 is about the same as your 2wd truck. That's it... Weren't you the one making the outrageous claims like a 4wd truck goes through brake pads twice as fast as their 2wd counterparts?

You should read before you post.

A previous post went 50k on a brake job for his 4wd. As is your norm you jump in with st;'6d.

Mileage alone is not a good determining factor for break wear. Obviously, stop and go city traffic is going to wear your breaks faster than the equivalent mileage on the highway. Towing or driving with a heavy load will wear the brakes faster. Driving off road and getting your breaks dirty can cause them to wear quicker. An aggressive driver will go through breaks faster... It would be an over simplification to compare the experience of one person with 2wd against one with 4wd without taking city vs highway, on road vs off road, towing and heavy loads, and driving habits into consideration.

You should read before you post.

A previous post went 50k on a brake job for his 4wd. As is your norm you jump in with st;'6d.

So you're making these broad ASSumptions because of a single post someone made here? Wow man, that's pretty hilarious! For someone who's probably never even owned a 4WD truck before, you sure think you know a lot about them. What are you going to say when I tell you I just did rotors/pads for the first time on my oldmans '07 Duramax with just under 90k on it? And trust me, it has pulled and stopped more then your truck will see in a life time. By your definition, shouldn't have those brakes wore out in like......20k?