2wd pickup at boat ramps

tomkat

Thinking of replacing the minivan with a pickup and was wondering about traction at boat ramps.I have never had a problem with the minivan but it is front drive.I would rather avoid 4wd for cost mileage etc. My package is 2500 lb but when I upgrade the boat likely about 3500 lb. Any thoughts?

Never towed with a front wheel drive but casual observation has told me they are about the worst vehicles for traction at a launch ramp. I have towed with a 2 wheel drive pickup and had no problem. Get limited slip/ posi type rearend , it helps.

Dry concrete ramps don't pose much of a problem, if they're wet or loaded with algae or slime, it can be tricky, frozen ramps can be hair raising. Gravel/dirt ramps depending on how hard they're packed can be a real hit and miss. If you're set on a 2wd, make sure it has a limited slip or locking rear end. Then invest in a couple of traction pads and a stout recovery strap, usually someone will find it in their heart to pull you out so the next person can launch/retrieve.

I agree Lew,I couldn't imagine going back to a two wheel drive with some of the launches I frequent.Some ,no way you could use a 2 wheel drive.For example,try sturgeon point marina with a 2wd and a descent size boat .WOW lol.Saw one fellow pulled right into the river from the launch.

After owning a few two wheel drive trucks years ago, and then driving more than my share of 4x4's I would NEVER go back to a 2WD.
Even in everyday winter driving it's handy. No spinning from a stop or struggling up inclines.
If you do a lot of boat launching I'd highly recommend a 4x4.

I can't understand why people buy 2wd trucks to be honest.

True. I mean what's the difference in cost, 1-2k tops when buying new? And fuel savings is absolutely a non issue since some newer SUVs and pick-ups can run on 2 front wheels when city driving and the 4x4 kicks in when needed, all electronically.

Simply put, if you are going to tow a boat or a trailer (or whatever) buy a reliable vechicle with 4x4 capabilities.... That is unless your boat is an inflatable (rubber to some) dingy.

95% of the time you'll be fine in a 2wd, it's the 5% that's worth the 4wd. in my old jeep cherokee i rarely had to put it in 4wd to pull out a 2500+lb lund but when i had to, I sure was glad i had it.

True. I mean what's the difference in cost, 1-2k tops when buying new? And fuel savings is absolutely a non issue since some newer SUVs and pick-ups can run on 2 front wheels when city driving and the 4x4 kicks in when needed, all electronically.

even in 2wd mode you're still lugging a significant amount of weight for the 4wd system. however, i can't see the mileage difference between an otherwise same truck being more than 1-2 mpg between a 2wd and 4wd model

95% of the time you'll be fine in a 2wd, it's the 5% that's worth the 4wd. in my old jeep cherokee i rarely had to put it in 4wd to pull out a 2500+lb lund but when i had to, I sure was glad i had it.

I hear you Raff with my 3000lb plus boat .With a lot of the lakes lower water I'm finding I'm backing in where my back bumper is submerged,and the bottom very muddy and sandy to say the least.

Thinking of replacing the minivan with a pickup and was wondering about traction at boat ramps.I have never had a problem with the minivan but it is front drive.I would rather avoid 4wd for cost mileage etc. My package is 2500 lb but when I upgrade the boat likely about 3500 lb. Any thoughts?

If you have the funds to buy a new or newer vehicle, I agree with everyone else to try for a 4x4. You will be happier. If fuel mileage is a real concern, you could have some trouble (i.e. lugging a 3500 lb weight behind any vehicle costs for towing and then running the vessel!).

I am on my 2nd 4x4 now. The first I bought used then I ended up buying new later. I can't ever imagine going back to 2wd - not willingly!

It gets fun when a 2WD is spinning the tires and the boat launch has enough angle to it to drag the truck backwards. I bought a 4X4 for the weather and towing of boats for down here in the South I imagine you can get more use and justify it easily up North Don't forget to look at the Eco Boost you will not regret it.

Art

Pulling my lund explorer all over the place for the 9 years I have owned it with of all things a minivan never once had an issue at a ramp 200000 k on it . I just want to know if the truck would offer better or worse boat ramp traction than the van?

if you never got stuck in your fwd van, you wont get stuck in a 2wd truck

it sounds like you use good launches and/or dont launch in november, december or march, april

i'd still get a 4wd though. :)