Hi, I am wondering if anyone can help me figure out when the steelhead will be comming into any of the rivers. I am looking to fish the credit, saugeen, beaver, and bighead river as well as possibly the grand river. I really want to catch some and also just see the runs of fish to learn more. Any help on timing and possibly locations would be great. I cant wait to giver a go.

Thanks so much

Sorry there seems to not really be any information on fishing for steelhead there its a general wikipedia page with information about the fish. Its also the first page to come up if you google search steelhead. I still appreciate you trying to help though.

I tried for 6 years to get my first steelhead over 8lbs.

There ain't no shortcuts.

The best times I lucked out when I started were because I was a 'dumb noob' and would go at the "wrong times" cuz it was convenient for me. A few of those "wrong times" weren't so wrong after all. I once lost 22 fish in a row, all by myself on a run of the grand. All huge. I was in a t-shirt and wading in shorts and sandals.

Go give it a try.

Spoons, spinners, hook/sinker/roe bag. Don't do anything fancy until you've caught a few on the basics.

People don't vest enough power in the #4 Vibrax Spinner (Blue Fox), especially that firetiger one. All I can say after 6 years of people telling me "that wont work" and "you need a float rod" ... I wish I just tossed that spinner all day.

Ya Ive been trying all kinds of spoons and spinners, i actually caught my salmon on a spoon, as well as roe bags and some different flies when the others have not been working. Ive just heard about these massive runs and want to check it out i think when it happens i will be able to find it. I was out 2 days last week and got skunked after a total of aroun 12 hours on river in 2 days, even a single small guy would be satisfying, but still nice just to be on the river.

Its all timing, and time spent on the tribs, knowing when each river is fishable after the amount of rain that falls is first, and multiple great days can happen by fishing each trib as they clear at different intervals. When the rivers you want to fish are blown or unfishable (chocolate milk) mark down the hours or days when they start to clean or are fishable so you will have that as a guideline until you remember it naturally.

My fall so far.... 49 hrs + on the river in 7 trips with 2 fish caught, and luckily those were on the only to hits I have had. So, I wouldn't say they are "running" yet. Perhaps a slow crawl is more accurate.

I don't regret a second of those 49 hrs even, though I could have shown up at 1PM each day instead in the early morning dark and still had the same record. I learned a lot mostly what not to do, and that gobies love worms on short leaders Definitely heard a few great jokes (some not so great). I got to reconnect with some people I only see a couple times a year on the river, which to me is just as important as the fishing. But by far the best part is I got to enjoy fishing with my Dad 6 of those times, and see him finally bag his first of the fall right after I got mine on our 6th trip.

The sad truth is, I haven't seen anyone have any great luck yet, where I have been and I damn sure haven't heard anything but complaints from the "tourists" who have come from the exact other spots I was going to go to, only to hear it wasn't happening there yet either LOL. Oh and by the way I know some guys who fish EVERY day and they say their numbers are about 40% of what they had caught by this time last year, and these are guys who I have seen have 10 to 20 fish days when nobody else can even get a bite....

On the safe side. Go in November and when the water is up but not chocolate, preferably after it rained and is starting to clear.

That can be two to seven days roughly depending on the size of the river and some other factors.

I would avoid the credit and hit the Saugeen and bighead or niagara personally. They r all busy but the credit is insanity.

Consider the first season recon work.

Watch the good guys - where they set up, their rig and how they fish it.

It is not ticket science but it is intimidating at first. If you give people space and are friendly, there will always be someone around who will help u along.

Landry

I've already showed you the online tool to figure out when the fish will be in the system. Your obviously not interested in figuring out how steelheading works just in being spoon fed. We don't do that here.

I just followed the link provided. As a newbie for Steelhead of which I caught my first ever on Erie longlining this past summer that link told me nada about fall runs in Ontario. W5, who, what, when, where, why? The big question for JBlair7 I don't believe was answered by the general Wikipedia article. I don't want to frighten away a new member asking a simple question. I'm surprised at M and S.

You sure are a bit cantankerous today, that's not like you sir.

Welcome aboard JBlair7. You have gotten some good info to get you starter. I appreciate it as well all.

I just followed the link provided. As a newbie for Steelhead of which I caught my first ever on Erie longlining this past summer that link told me nada about fall runs in Ontario. W5, who, what, when, where, why? The big question for JBlair7 I don't believe was answered by the general Wikipedia article. I don't want to frighten away a new member asking a simple question. I'm surprised at M and S.

You sure are a bit cantankerous today, that's not like you sir.

Welcome aboard JBlair7. You have gotten some good info to get you starter. I appreciate it as well all.

From my understanding, Brad was referring to this thread where he posted the online tool for looking at water levels last month.

http://ontariofishingcommunity.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=71605&hl=

I can understand where Brad is coming from. In the past, I’ve replied to PM’s in great detail (particularly from 1 former member) only to have it ignored and have the identical question posted on the board multiple times because the member was too lazy to do the rest of the footwork.

For the OP. if you don’t really have a clue on how to catch steelhead, I’d recommend picking the closest river with steelhead you have and stick to it for a season. Fish it as often as you can. Record the weather conditions, the river conditions, depth, the time, how well (or poor) you did, what baits you used, what baits other people used, which part of the pool, run, riffle you hit fish, etc in a journal. You will not catch fish every time you get out but you will learn way more about fishing for steelhead than if you try and chase the numbers on multiple rivers. The numbers will eventually come but only if you really know what to look for and IMO you can't get that knowledge from being told on a forum or elsewhere on the internet. Once you master your home river, you can apply what you know to other rivers big or small all over North America.

If you're really desperate for fish, hire a guide for the day and that will speed up the learning curve considerably.

Sorry for the confusion i didnt quite make the connection between the two links. I am not trying to be a pest i am just very keen and am trying to learn as much as possible when im not actually on the water. I do appreciate all the help from anyone. It seems to be just the beggining of a

I posted the link to Wikipedia because to be successful is to understand what it is your trying to catch...once you understand the fish and loose a few on your own...youll then have respect ....once you have respect for the prey....almost anyone would be more than happy to fish and teach the curve of techniques....

http://voices.yahoo.com/how-fish-rainbow-trout-tips-more-9103385.html

I agree show up at the same place for a certain number of trips. Say hello to the anglers there. Be helpful when you can and stay out of the way if someone gets a fish on. The groups I usually fish with will bend over backwards to help out a newbie who is polite, respects the river and the fish as mentioned. If you are genuine most anglers will help you out... If you aren't they will ignore you and hope you go away.

I got some excellent tips from a guide one day just because I had a half dozen extra squares of red netting I gave him when he asked around, because it was the only colour the fish were hitting that morning. After retying with it for his client who got a fish on the first cast, I just stayed close enough to observe the lessons the client was getting. Since it was obvious I wasn't going to get in the way, when I wasn't doing exactly what I should have the guide came over and helped me. I made his suggested adjustments and starting to hit fish. He even sent me home with a bit of his specially cured roe.

Now whenever I see him without a client we fish together and it is very clear he has taught me a ton of what I know but not nearly everything he knows as he still out fishes me 90% of the time. LOL