Need advice shore fishing for trout

aws

basically its the same rig you'd use for pier casting for salmon, personally i use a 9-10ft rod, some people use up to 15ft, with a 4000 size spinning reel, 15lb braid, with 6-8lb test fluoro leader, and the terminal tackle you mentioned is correct, 1oz egg sinker with a nice fat roe bag at the end, cast it out as far as you can, put your rod in a holder, sit down in a lawn chair with a cold one and wait

mine is good for up to 3/4 oz, its 9.6 ft, has a ton of whip to it, from whitby pier i can hit the break wall on the other side of the harbour entrance, about 50-70yrds providing the wind isn't blowing in my face. its a cheapy pinnacle vertex light action, but can handle a salmon with ease running 15lb braid with 10lb fluoro leader

• 4 months later...

basically its the same rig you'd use for pier casting for salmon, personally i use a 9-10ft rod, some people use up to 15ft, with a 4000 size spinning reel, 15lb braid, with 6-8lb test fluoro leader, and the terminal tackle you mentioned is correct, 1oz egg sinker with a nice fat roe bag at the end, cast it out as far as you can, put your rod in a holder, sit down in a lawn chair with a cold one and wait

WOW lets do it!

When you go shopping for a trout rod get a Michigan handle, anything else should be outlawed IMHO LOL. You will know the right rod when you hold it!!

Since you are asking for tips, here are the 3 most important tips I have learned while fishing for chrome...

1) I would rather be lucky than good especially while bottom fishing.

2) When some older angler is leaving the pier offer to help them carry some stuff to their vehicle if they seem to be struggling ;o) Then when you go back the next time they might be inclined to share some knowledge. I have learned more in chatting for an hour with people like that than I could figure out in a year on my own.

3) If you are doing the same thing as everyone else and they aren't catching fish, you better hope tip #1 applies to you. So fish harder change things up if it hasn't worked in 30 minutes change your leader length. Then the colour of your bait. Then your weight. Then try a live worm up off the bottom, Huron fish do like em.

Bonus tip I might be getting old but I don't even want to CARRY 1oz sinkers anymore much less chuck them. 5/8 oz bullet sinkers are your friend. Having them move a bit is a good thing especially down a river into a deep spot where they don't roll out... I have seen more fish drop a bait with a 1oz sinker because they seem to feel it than not in our group, the guys who fish lots of weight don't have to worry about cleaning fish most days. The lighter a weight usually the better.