Is fishing trout beads essentially flossing/snagging?

Jarfish

if it makes you feel better, you don't have to use a bare hook, i tend to use a maggot/wax worm or small piece of nightcrawler

If you got nightcrawlers, why fool with beads :dunno: Been steelheading since the 60's and over the years crawlers have banked more fish under less than ideal conditions for me than roe.

If you got nightcrawlers, why fool with beads :dunno: Been steelheading since the 60's and over the years crawlers have banked more fish under less than ideal conditions for me than roe.

just like the idea of fishing two different baits to increase my chances

To understand why the hook is dropped 1"-2" below the bead you first have to understand how trout feed on single eggs. When a trout is feeding on eggs it sucks the egg in instantly into it's throat much like a vacum, this is how it takes a bead. By dropping the hook below the bead the hook will be in fact in the mouth part of the fish and not in it's throat, thus making it easier to hook a fish in the mouth.A trout can also almost instantly spit the bead out and with the hook dropped it is still in it's mouth and increases the chances of hook-ups. This is the reason hooks are fish dropped below the bead when fished.

night crawlers = dirty hands

Or pick them yourself at night after a rain on the street or sidewalk. Alternatively you can look on your lawn for the ones right on top of the grass - especially the ones that are 'getting kinky' with one another. You'll get twice as many in half the time with only 1/8th the effort.LOL

After put them in a small container with shredded wet newspapers. A lot less messy than worms packed in dirt :D

especially the ones that are 'getting kinky' with one another. You'll get twice as many in half the time with only 1/8th the effort.LOL

Thanks for the memories of the BARN tavern in my younger years...They never should have torn that place down...lol

I find that regular garden worms are much tougher than night crawlers and so less likely to come off the hook. I've never caught a bow on worms but caught lots of small brook trout on them when I was a kid.

Lots of worms out with all this rain, I'm going to pic a dozen or so and give it a shot. Might up size to a bigger circle hook as well.

its the reason why i fly fish, worms dirt and fish slime is fine....roe goop....no thanks

The front of your waders make a handy towel! Much like the sleeve of your jacket is a handy Kleenex! I don't mind being dirty! For any worm chuckers, you can buy bags of dried moss at pet shops, if you add a tiny bit of water, and store your worms in the moss, your hands will be much cleaner! Edited by porkpie

I blame Kerr..........he wrote article in the Sun to watch guys with roe goob all over their vest. He instructed rookies to follow these guys around.

I went home empty my vest and took it to the laundry mat (wife Threat). Never did I have a dirty vest after that.