Is fishing trout beads essentially flossing/snagging?

Jarfish

Why are you leaving hooks in 90% of your released fish? I think steelhead are the one fish where I never hook them deep in the mouth, regardless of what I'm fishing with (singles, normal bags, big bombers, jigs, whatever).

Steelhead same here, but i've had 4 little stinker browns suck my roe bags right down this fall. One last thursday, was so bad i had to eat him, and he puked up 3 monster roe bags on the way home!

Single eggs are terrible for hooking trout deep. So bad I stopped using them 30 years ago. Fish with a guy that single eggs often about 80% deep hooked.

They real pt. is you are almost never hooking fish with a bead outside the mouth. If the hook is outside the mouth 1-2 inches you just miss the fish.

Unless you actually watched the trout come out and attack the egg, you know nothing of how it got in his mouth.

Unless you actually watched the trout come out and attack the egg, you know nothing of how it got in his mouth.

Guess the same can be said for any bait presentation .

Your right, though I guess that could be said about any fish hooked on any lure or bait presentation in flowing water.

as someone who fishes the tribs occasionally without much guidance from experienced anglers, i wonder what the proper leader length is to avoid flossing? originally i heard 1.5x the depth of water but have also heard that if drifting properly only 1x the water depth is needed.

basically i fly fish with single eggs and this accounts for the majority of my hookups. id hate to think these are all lined fish :dunno:

on a side note, i have witnessed small chromers aggressively pursue and take drifting single egg but only once

My goal is to have the bead in the trouts throat and the hook still in there mouth. So I set the hook and catch the fish on the inside of the mouth. Most of the eastern tribs we are dealing with 8-10lb trout and likely 3.5-4 inch would be max.

And the sweet spot to hook a fish outside mouth is very narrow. The hook would need to just in the perfect spot. And if you go to long you just miss the miss.

If you are consistently hooking fish on the outside of the mouth you need to adjust.

That's exactly what I'm working with.Hooked one early afternoon,caught him on the outside of the corner of the mouth.Not what I'm looking for,but more experimenting is needed on my part.The hook was only 2" below the bead.Still learning.Will close that up a tad.Released for another day.

it is a legal setup but discretion is on the CO, if they feel your bead is too high you could get a warning or fined for using an unbaited hook

I'm good with this. There's no reason to have that hook 4 inches from your bead.

as someone who fishes the tribs occasionally without much guidance from experienced anglers, i wonder what the proper leader length is to avoid flossing? originally i heard 1.5x the depth of water but have also heard that if drifting properly only 1x the water depth is needed.

basically i fly fish with single eggs and this accounts for the majority of my hookups. id hate to think these are all lined fish :dunno:

on a side note, i have witnessed small chromers aggressively pursue and take drifting single egg but only once

I think you are referring to the length of line below a float. Most anglers I know run a leader between 18" and at most 30".

I think you are referring to the length of line below a float. Most anglers I know run a leader between 18" and at most 30".

From what I've learned here a 12-18" leader is way more than enough.It worked yesterday.Just have to lower my bead to 1.5 "from the hook and give it a go.Maybe 1"?.Interesting debate .

Edited by davey buoy

There is guys here running tiny trebles 4" below their bead, I guess thats why I am bias on this. I haven't run into anyone doing it "properly", though i havent seen a salmon come out of the creek that wasn't back hooked for about a week now either. Lol guess I can come around to this bead thing. Makes sense if the hook is within mouth distance.. i guess.

There is guys here running tiny trebles 4" below their bead, I guess thats why I am bias on this. I haven't run into anyone doing it "properly", though i havent seen a salmon come out of the creek that wasn't back hooked for about a week now either. Lol guess I can come around to this bead thing. Makes sense if the hook is within mouth distance.. i guess.

Thinking if put on right Rich,has to be a lot better for the fish.

if it makes you feel better, you don't have to use a bare hook, i tend to use a maggot/wax worm or small piece of nightcrawler