Is fishing trout beads essentially flossing/snagging?

Jarfish

Hey thanks for all the input! I'm actually pretty interested in the technique as I don't really see that around here at all and I think I'll give it a shot. Basically my only concern is what I've read is that it can hook from the outside of the mouth, and thought that could possibly cause a problem. But thanks a ton guys!

I contacted Wil Wegman on this issue. He said MNR had a 6 page document on legal not legal.

And it was legal with some interpretation.

Just from experience if MNR wrote 6 pages their will be 15 loopholes. Still would like to read it myself.

That would be a good read also!

What's more important is the length of the lead under the float. See it all the time on the Gbay tribs - 3 to 5 foot deep sweeping runs, and 5 idiots flossing with 10-12 foot leads. The sinking effect of the bead lets people "creatively" place shot to get the lead to lay across the run, the hookups look legit, and the fish get a nice flossing.

These aren't your tuna stick steelheaders either, these are your Simms army, Kingpin toting, "real" steelheaders...

to answer the OPs question...NO....... can/could it be used to floss...YES but it isnt too difficult to tell who is doing it right and who is doing it illegally if you have a little bit of experience on the rivers

Edited by Twocoda

my first exposure to beads was meeting a guy on the river. After looked at his rig and the way he ripped his rod sideways to set the hook, I immediately thought he was trying to snag fish. I politely asked what technique he is using as it appears it is snagging. The fellow showed me the rig and explained it was a west coast technique (where he is from). I ended up fishing with him for the next two hours and was schooled 7-2 (beads vs roe). All of his fish were hooked in the top of the mouth. I would not have believed this if i did not see it with my own eyes.

He also mentioned a CO approached him a few years ago, asking why he was snagging fish? The CO ended up observing his technique and considered it legit.

All floss fish i've seen were also hooked inside the mouth. Hence it's legality.

I'm not convinced.

how do you know its a flossed hook up if its inside the mouth where the hook should be?, where in the mouth you hook the fish, depends a lot on how the fish takes your bait, the corner hook ups come because most times the fish takes the bait and turns, sometimes you'll up under the jaw as the fish swipes but misses, or in the snout on the upper lip, has happened a few time with me on the fly. so unless the hook in the outside of the mouth, its almost impossible to tell if its been flossed

All floss fish i've seen were also hooked inside the mouth. Hence it's legality.

I'm not convinced.

I must be a professional flosser then with the amount of fish I catch in the Niagara on beads, it's a small flow... very easy to target fish in the many shallow runs....

Most everybody on the lower section of the Notty seem to use just roe bags w/o beads, although some do use worms..

There are dozens of guys who exclusively fish the lower end with JUST beads. A lot of them are Nottawasaga Steelheaders as well.

Please for the non salmonoid hunters, what is "flossing"? I've Googled and Binged it, zero fishing related hits. Always need to learn something new every day.

Thanks

JD

It's the same as 'lining' maybe that's a old school term you're familiar with? Basically you run a super long lead and wait for the fish to swim into your line.. It pulls the bead (or whatever) through it's mouth and WHAMO! FISH ON BABY FISH ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I see more fish lined by the guys with flyrods compared to anything else to be honest.

I went bottom bouncing roe in a Huron trib last weekend for the first time. Wow. What a blast. I had a rainbow on but lost him due to rookie mistakes and low end gear / prob not the right rod and setup. I digress. What's not clear to me, is fishing beads as the OP mentions considered flossing?

Now I am considering buying waders, fly/flossing? rod and cheaper pin reel setup from crappy tire - one I could use for bottom bouncing or trying my had at flys someday. I curse the chap for takin me out in the river...

You angle for a fish, the fish is hooked by the pointy part of the hook in the mouth, you didn't snag it, net it, bang it off the noggin with a weight, use a CIL wabbler or run it over with your boat motor, it's called catching a fish. You can tell the soft water season is soon coming to a close. We are talking non issues in my humble opinion.

If you can categorically tell how a fish took a hook post mortem without witnessing it, you are good, really good.

There are dozens of guys who exclusively fish the lower end with JUST beads. A lot of them are Nottawasaga Steelheaders as well.

Thx. I guess I was watching the wrong guys.! I've seen them being used on the Bighead--I shall give them a try.

Re "flossing": seems to be more or less a GTA thing. I understand that the fish really congregate in shallow pools there. It's hard to imagine folks flossing on the lower Notty where I usually fish. No shallow pools, murky water.

whats the distance from the hook to the jig and spinner on a erie deerie or off the back of a spoon or J plug trolled out in the lake ....have you ever trolled with cut bait before?....i dont consider any of these distances from bait to hook as flossing ....

You can fish single eggs and leave a hook in 90% of your c&r fish.

Or you can let the fish suck the bead into there throat and the hook still in there mouth. So when you set the hook the fish is hooked in the mouth.

If you run your bead to far above the hook it's outside of the mouth and you just miss the fish.

Hooking a fish around the mouth like flossing is a very very small %.