Is fishing trout beads essentially flossing/snagging?

Jarfish

So I was out in the boat with a buddy of mine and he was mentioning a way his friend fishes. He was saying his friend float fishes with a trout bead about 2 inches above the hook and that it keeps the fish from getting gut hooked so he can release them if he wants. I guess the fish hits the bead and the hook catches him just in the corner of the mouth. I'm kind of on the fence with this as it's not a super long leader so the fish is actually trying to bite the bait but its also hooking outside of the mouth I would assume, which is snagging to me..I guess either way the regs say if its not in the mouth it's snagging and must be released. Whats you guys take on it? Here's a 14 min video that makes it seem a legitimate tactic http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_8uBBNTI4c

Most of the time when I get a fish on a Rapala or any 2-3 hook lures at least 1 of the hooks is "inside" the mouth, and if there wasn't yes i would consider that a snagged fish and throw it back.

Edited by Jakefromcollingwood

The cheater hook above your main hook with the bead above is certainly setup for flossing under the float. I've been explained the dynamics a few times. Steelheaders make it sound better... But that is definitely what they're doing.

Not flossing at all, the intent is to catch fish without hooking them deeply so they may be released without harm. I have yet to catch a fish on a bead with the hook outside of the mouth, but I can see it happening. Now that I've said this I'll likely start catching them with the hook outside the mouth and have to continue to release them for a different reason.

No it is not flossing.

All my fish on beads are hooked inside the mouth and all are released successfully

because the hook isn't deep in its throat.

When is the hook ever deep in the throat when you fish under a float? I have never seen that happen...ever...for trout or any other species I've fished under a float.

Edit to add. Except for Northerns using minnows under a float.

Edited by crappieperchhunter

No it is not flossing at all.

The reason for the gap between the hook and bead is to make the bead look more like a natural egg.

This is key when fishing pressured fish.

I fish the Kenai River in Alaska every fall and bead fishing was invented here.

They estimate that each trout and dolly in the river (90 miles long) gets caught 20 times per year!!! :o

The fish have seen a lot of baits over the years and can be very selective.

You can tell when your bead has slipped down to the hook as you will stop getting hits. B)

no, beads aren't flossing, the fish hit them becasue they are a natural, finesse single egg presentation....they can be used to floss, just like any other bait, just depends on the angler holding the rod

if you fish steelhead/salmon you WILL occasionally floss a fish, it's part of the game, get used to the idea or give up fishing....no different than snagging a walleye or bass in the back with a rapala, which I think most guys have done a few times over the years

Why would you waste a bead if you wanted to floss? lol

The hook is a short distance away from the bead so the hook is well exposed ( increase the chances of a good hook up ) The fish attack the beads for food or to increase chances the survival of their own progeny by destroying other eggs. Beads are great and at times, outperform anything else presented.

If I understand the OPs thinking here....

It would appear that the trout eats the bead and when the angler sets into the fish.... The hook then makes contact with the fish....

I would think when any decent size trout takes a bead the hook would get sucked in its mouth with the bead... There's only a 2" gap from what I've read....

If I understand the OPs thinking here....

It would appear that the trout eats the bead and when the angler sets into the fish.... The hook then makes contact with the fish....

I would think when any decent size trout takes a bead the hook would get sucked in its mouth with the bead... There's only a 2" gap from what I've read....

So it is essentially the same concept as a hair rig for carp fishing? The fish sucks in the hook on the take, or is the hook raked into the fishes mouth when the fisherman sets the hook? Anyone wanna chime in and educate me/us some more?

So it is essentially the same concept as a hair rig for carp fishing? The fish sucks in the hook on the take, or is the hook raked into the fishes mouth when the fisherman sets the hook? Anyone wanna chime in and educate me/us some more?

That's what it seams like to me...

No different then a carp rig....

Or a spoon with a bait less dropper hook..

My set up now a days, is to have a bead on my line at all times. Weather it be 2 inches above the hook,or slide it way up 12 inches to the lowest shot.

It,s not that I am flossing,but just saves from retieing.

When I put the bead up that high,it,s only because I,m drifting a roe sac or a worm.

Then again,,,,,,,,,,

I will run a bright pink bead in dirty waters about 6 inches up,BUT,theres a sac or worm on the hook. To me,it adds a better visual for the fish.

Second year for me trying the bead method. Caught 2 fish so far,and both were IN the yap..

To answer your ?

NO

Edited by Misfish

Beads can be a flossing tool, that doesn't mean they are one. I have caught fish on beads, and have watched people catch on bead, even in some pretty deep holes and wAter where lining woulld be difficult if not impossible. I have also watched guys fish mega long leads in clear water on spooked fish in shallow runs and "I believe" they where flossing, and frankly I am pretty sure they knew what they where doing. Beads catch fish, if you don't believe they do, then you've never fished a single egg bite! But, when the float drops you'd better hit em fast, as they don't seem to hold it like a bag.