chainsaw problems nf

tomO

I've have a stihl 029 chainsaw that starts right up when you 1st use it but after lets say a half hour of cutting and I turn it off to refuel it wont start back up unless it sits for a long while. I cleaned the air filter,changed the plug and even sprayed starting fluid in the carb and nothing. I gave up on it last night but this morning on the 3rd pull took right off and ran good till I refueled and then the same thing. Any one have an idea what the problem could be. thx

sounds like it is running with the choke slightly on all the time, most likely a simple adjustment, but I wouldn't have a clue how. Have a shop adjust it, should work fine after, mine had the same problem, shop fixed it within 5 mins

RED

Try this on your next fill.

Engage the safety stop on the bar. Squeeze throttle to the max, choke off and attempt to pull start. Chances are with the engine hot, the carb has possibly created a "vapor lock" thus over flooding with not enough air.

Could be an ignition issue too.
When you shut off an engine some components in the ignition can actually get hotter because the cooling fan is no longer running. Heat from the combustion chamber can soak into the ignition and cause an open circuit in a weak point.
I'd check it for spark when this takes place as well.

I've have a stihl 029 chainsaw that starts right up when you 1st use it but after lets say a half hour of cutting and I turn it off to refuel it wont start back up unless it sits for a long while. I cleaned the air filter,changed the plug and even sprayed starting fluid in the carb and nothing. I gave up on it last night but this morning on the 3rd pull took right off and ran good till I refueled and then the same thing. Any one have an idea what the problem could be. thx

On the other hand, you may have a gem in your hands. Some of the OFC members on here would pay extra for a chain saw that works like that. Work for a half hour.... drink for an hour cause.... "the chain saw has to cool off dear" :good:

Ron if I did that I'd probably cut some thing off I need. Bernie I did check for spark and saw none but with the short plug wire and pulling the cord by myself I'm not sure I kept it grounded I'll get my wife to help me next time unless there's a trick to doin it alone. Ironically this describes my luv life also. :(