Getting started for hunting (total rookie)

manitoubass2

Well, im 34 years old now and havent hunted for at least 20 years. Now my kids have an interest all te sudden i have a strong urge to hunt lol. Problem is, i know nothing about the gun laws/licensing etc. anyone that could offer help or some links to get me started would be much appreciated! Im about to call about PAL now but thats about all im aware of??? Well start out partridge

And rabbit hunting, maybe move to deer next year. Also need recommendations for guns, nothing fancy just good starter guns. Im thinking 410 and or 20 guage, and maybe 30/6 for deer??? Also, what about courses or licensing for my children? My son is 9, any courses for gun safety he can take??? Thanks for any and all help/opinions

I'm assuming you already have a hunting license, since you said you hunted before??

You'll need a PAL to own a gun. I'd reccomend a 12ga, it will take any game in ON.

As for your kids, they can only observe until they are 12, at which point they can get an Apprentice license and hunt with a fully licensed mentor.

Do it man. You only have to do the course once, and you have it for life. Its a great tradition for your kids to be involved is as well. My son comes with me a fair bit. He will be 12 in Feb, and we both can't wait for the spring turkey season!!

The kids can take the hunters ed as well as firearms license in one shot at the age of 12 with your permission.

Any other questions, just ask! It can seem complicated, especially when setting up the kids.

S.

I believe if you already had an old FAC you could then apply for a POL (Possession Only License). If you wanted to acquire a new gun then you would need to get your PAL (Possession and Acquisition License) in which case you would have take the course or challenge the test. You can contact the RCMP and they should give you all the answers you need.

Have fun out there!

Jake

I'm assuming you already have a hunting license, since you said you hunted before??

You'll need a PAL to own a gun. I'd reccomend a 12ga, it will take any game in ON.

As for your kids, they can only observe until they are 12, at which point they can get an Apprentice license and hunt with a fully licensed mentor.

Do it man. You only have to do the course once, and you have it for life. Its a great tradition for your kids to be involved is as well. My son comes with me a fair bit. He will be 12 in Feb, and we both can't wait for the spring turkey season!!

The kids can take the hunters ed as well as firearms license in one shot at the age of 12 with your permission.

Any other questions, just ask! It can seem complicated, especially when setting up the kids.

S.

. Good info thanks! I should clarify, i only went hunting with my dad, last time i was maybe 10-14, can't remember? So my older son, 11, is on the cusp, his bday is in april. But just to clarify, my 9 year old cant hunt? If thats the case can he use pellet gun? Or is that considered to be the same. Again, thanks for the insight! Im all antsie lol, birds and rabbits within 5 minutes of home

Ok, so you need your PAL and hunting license. They offer a course that covers both. Go to the OFAH website and do a search there for hunters ed courses, and find one in your area.

Your 9year old can shoot a pellet gun, he just can't hunt. My son owns several pellet/BB guns, and probably knows more about hunting than any kid his age, but he still can't legally hunt. He's a better shot than me with a bullet, but he needs more experience on the shotgun.

Your oldest son can register for his tests once he is 12. I tried to get my son registered for the tests early, but. They won't allow it.

Any more questions, ask away!! Its a great hobby (bigger passion for me than fishing) and kids seem to really like it. I have. Seen city kids parent shriek when they see me with dead animals, but the kids are really interested in them.

S.

Just completed my hunting/gun safety course last weekend. Took ALLLL weekend. Was long, but it's over. I bought my small game license today and have to apply to the RCMP for my PAL before I can buy/possess a gun. That will take several months to complete....what that means is...if you want to hunt next year, get the courses over with NOW>

Just completed my hunting/gun safety course last weekend. Took ALLLL weekend. Was long, but it's over. I bought my small game license today and have to apply to the RCMP for my PAL before I can buy/possess a gun. That will take several months to complete....what that means is...if you want to hunt next year, get the courses over with NOW>

geez thats a bummer that it takes so long. Ah well , ill get it all over now and be ready for next year i guess. Whyd you have to go theough the rcmp to get PAL? I thought it was just a course i take(which is next week)