First year bear hunting...

fishinfool

This is my first year hunting bear, we put out 5 big rotten salmon out of Bowmanville and man did they stink.

We also put out a big green garbage bag of old Timmie's donuts and they did not touch any of it.

I've been told that a bear can smell about 100 times better than a man, I think they were smelling the human scent either connected to the rubbermaid container that we had the fish in or they smelled and were aware of our guy in the stand 50 yds from the bait.

They didn't even go near it at night which really surprised me.

Any thoughts from people in the know? :)

Lose the fish...go to a restaurant and find some old greese...grab a bunch. When you set the bait up take 1 five gallon pail and splash it on the trees and and a small area around it. If you can also find someone with an apple tree (crab apples are good too) that aren't using them grab a lot, the ones on the ground are good to. When you do go hunting and I am assuming you are in a blind, take a tin with some honey and sugar in the bottom of it and burn it using a propane torch. You will know it is working when the smoke from the tin just starts throwing out the white smoke...let in burn for a little bit, this smoke gets around and will stick to the trees as well as go with the wind and will bring the bears to you.

Edited by anders

There are a million tricks. Try googling it, or watching some u-tube videos.

Definitely don't use rotting fish.

You used TSC cheap cheap dog food last year for my main food. And then added cheap Walmart maple syrup, and juice/jello mix power, molasses. They eat it up!!

PICT0148.jpg

PICT0066.jpg

Training them usually takes a bit a time. Start baiting at least a couple weeks (every few days) before you want to sit in your blind. They'll get used to your scent and your activity...at least to some degree.

I put out dog food, donuts, cheap syrop and any grease leftovers from cooking. I've had something hit the bait 4 out of the past 5 days now...that's after about a month of fairly regular baiting. I've also made it a point to visit the baiting area late at night sometimes; apparently too much activitiy during the day can push them nocturnal.

Good luck!

Chapmans strawberry ice cream

DSC_0761_zpseff64fdf.jpg

tim hortons apple cinnamon tea (triple triple)

DSC_1282SI_zpsfe0bec3f.jpg

and just in case you dont get to see one....here are a few for ya

DSC_1214SI_zps4b254520.jpg

DSC_1213SI_zpsa0677c9d.jpg

DSC_1040SI_zps5536a102.jpg

DSC_1006SI_zps643945b0.jpg

DSC_0973SI_zps861fa944.jpg

DSC_0948SI_zps103fa056.jpg

DSC_0518SI_zpsac0ff45b.jpg

DSC_0509SI_zpsa75e29b0.jpg

DSC_0457SI_zpsfcc82b4d.jpg

There that should give you something to think about while you wait for your shot...good luck with your hunt...

Lots of great information here guys, I will press on and keep trying with all of these.

There is bear scat everywhere with lots of berries showing in the scat. They are feeding hard on the junipers and berries all over this 100 acres.

I guess I need to be patient and trust what I have been told.

I will let you know when we bag one.

SS