Butcher

fishinfool

I have heard of a guy in the Port Perry area that can butcher big game animals at a reasonable cost.

I can't seem to find anything on the internet.

Does anyone know of him or someone that can butcher bear and deer for me?

We are hunting in the Dalrymple area for bear this weekend and I will need to hang anything we happen to get pretty quick with the weather being so warm.

Thanks in advance.

I dunno about up there, but all the local butcher shops here also do game for hunters. Or call FnF's buddy as he's probably more affordable than a shop.

I was under the impression that a butcher shop was not allowed to do wild game if they butcher beef and pork.

Something about possible cross contamination.

Not sure if that's true,

Anybody here know?

I was under the impression that a butcher shop was not allowed to do wild game if they butcher beef and pork.

Not sure if that's true,

Anybody here know?

Yup not allowed, some shady places probably get away with it though.

The place misfish posted a link to had to put in a completely separate cold room so they could do wild game.

Not sure if that's true,

Anybody here know?

yep, most will refuse to do it, or refer you someone that will. and places that will do it, are usually after hours work, so unless you have a separate cutting and production area, you can't do it legally

some people don't have the time or patience to do that

That's a rather odd reply considering it only takes a couple hours to process a deer, yet many hunters spend days or weeks filling their tag with patience being a huge part of hunting big game.

That's a rather odd reply considering it only takes a couple hours to process a deer, yet many hunters spend days or weeks filling their tag with patience being a huge part of hunting big game.

meaning it takes time to learn how to do it properly so you end up with wasted cuts

I have heard of a guy in the Port Perry area that can butcher big game animals at a reasonable cost.

I can't seem to find anything on the internet.

Does anyone know of him or someone that can butcher bear and deer for me?

We are hunting in the Dalrymple area for bear this weekend and I will need to hang anything we happen to get pretty quick with the weather being so warm.

Thanks in advance.

herringtons right in port perry he has done alot for my buddies and at good prices his bear sausage recipe he makes for u is to die for

http://portperrybutcher.com/

I was always under the impression if the abattoir was federally inspected once a month they could butcher Big Game...Ive never had any issues in the london area getting venison cut and wrapped...then we discovered Metzgers in Hensal and never went anywhere else ....best summer sausages and smoked venison hams i have ever eaten...and the peperettes were to die for ( old German recipe) ...i havent hunted in a few years now but my mouth still waters when i drive through Hensal

Edited by Twocoda

meaning it takes time to learn how to do it properly so you end up with wasted cuts

Butchering them is easy once you get past the "I can't do that" stage and once you're into the animal it's easy to follow the natural lines (not sure of the technical term) in the meat to distinguish between each chunk of meat. Nothing is wasted as any mistakes just means more meat goes into the jerky, pepperette, ground, or stewing piles. It's all part of learning.

I have butchered deer a few years ago but I was really looking to have the bear done professionally because I want to keep the bearskin for a rug.

Plus I have never done a bear and the weather is warm. The bear would have to be cold stored pretty quick at this point...

SS