any dog trainers?

chickenhawk

Hey guys i just picked up an englush springer pup. He is only 9 weeks but starts basic obedience classes next week. I would like to train him to flush rabbits and upland birds but mostly rabbits as there are more hunting opportunities where i live in southwestern ontario. My question are there any trainers on this site that would be willing to work with him and myself as i am new to this as well over the wknds during the winter months or does anyone know someone who they could refer me to? Thanks for any responses i am open to any suggestions guys as to the steps i need to take to make Loomis a great flushing dog. Thanks guys!

was he bred for pet? or from a proven field line?

get this book, the trainer i worked with recommended it, it was easy to follow

Gun DogTraining Spaniels and Retrievers, Kenneth Roebuck

http://www.amazon.com/Gun-Dog-Training-Spaniels-Retrievers-Kenneth/dp/0811711145

only worry about basic obedience and establishing your bond during the first 6-8 months, get him exposure to the woods and smells and sounds, etc but don't worry about gun training so much, just basic obedience and lots of love and praise, build the bond so he learns to trust you no matter what

don't push him too hard, their brains are basically mush when they're puppies until about 1.5-2 yrs, keep the training sessions short during the first year and work on the important little things, like retrieving toys to hand, coming to you immediately, stop and out commands, hold command, trash break him, gun shyness, etc....basically go for a hike and let him have fun, while shooting a bird or rabbit along the way, build it up for him, don't make it a chore or forced

if you get frustrated or angry stop immediately, they read that very easily and will send him wrong messages, he won't know what he's doing wrong......the only time to discipline is when you catch him in the act, scolding him after the fact does nothing but harm to your bond, he's not smart enough to connect the dots...

I'd wait until he's closer to a year before you work on advanced training, and that's when an experienced handler can do wonders with you and your dog....I wouldn't pay for training in the first year, you won't see as much return on your investment so to say lol

you need to be consistent, you can see weekly improvement with your dog but then if you take a break from training you'll see just how quickly bad habits can form.....always keep toys separate from training tools, decoys, etc....he'll learn the difference between play time and hunt time, never let him chew on a training bag, or bird, etc

Edited by bare foot wader

was he bred for pet? or from a proven field line?

get this book, the trainer i worked with recommended it, it was easy to follow

Gun DogTraining Spaniels and Retrievers, Kenneth Roebuck

http://www.amazon.com/Gun-Dog-Training-Spaniels-Retrievers-Kenneth/dp/0811711145

only worry about basic obedience and establishing your bond during the first 6-8 months, get him exposure to the woods and smells and sounds, etc but don't worry about gun training so much, just basic obedience and lots of love and praise, build the bond so he learns to trust you no matter what

don't push him too hard, their brains are basically mush when they're puppies until about 1.5-2 yrs, keep the training sessions short during the first year and work on the important little things, like retrieving toys to hand, coming to you immediately, stop and out commands, hold command, trash break him, gun shyness, etc....basically go for a hike and let him have fun, while shooting a bird or rabbit along the way, build it up for him, don't make it a chore or forced

if you get frustrated or angry stop immediately, they read that very easily and will send him wrong messages, he won't know what he's doing wrong......the only time to discipline is when you catch him in the act, scolding him after the fact does nothing but harm to your bond, he's not smart enough to connect the dots...

I'd wait until he's closer to a year before you work on advanced training, and that's when an experienced handler can do wonders with you and your dog....I wouldn't pay for training in the first year, you won't see as much return on your investment so to say lol

you need to be consistent, you can see weekly improvement with your dog but then if you take a break from training you'll see just how quickly bad habits can form.....always keep toys separate from training tools, decoys, etc....he'll learn the difference between play time and hunt time, never let him chew on a training bag, or bird, etc

Very very well written post! I have done a lot of training with bird dogs but this post outlines the basics of training any field dog! Most of my experience is with GSPs which are a versitile field dog so it is a little more complicated but if you follow the advice above you will get good results. I would consider contacting any beagle clubs in your area, they may be able to help you with the tracking aspect of the training.

for now. keep it fun. most important is teach him the basics. come,heel and such. as he grows. show him where bunnies have sat. show him excitement he will catch on fast. I trialed draathars years back. every sporting dog wants to learn.. one thing you will be doing is shaving him down. bunnies love the rough stuff. please remember after runs check his feet /pads for burrs..

your gonna have a great decade of loyal fun.